• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brake / Comp for 14.5" Barrel Recommendations?

Griffin Armament

M4SD Linear Comp 5.56mm

throws the noise downrange while acting as a decent brake, too. Small and clean look. Check the reviews and youtube videos for commentary.

I have a Griffin flash/comp on my .308 AR, and this Linear Comp on a 14.5" midlength gas system carbine to make it 16+. It's 2.25" and pre-drilled for pin/weld. Very nicely made, effective compensator. It has NO side ports. Just a couple small ports on the top, and the rest out the front. Very range friendly device.

Griffin has a good cult following, if not widespread name recognition.

JoeBob's has them at a reasonable price. Griffin Armament M4SD Linear Comp 5.56

Last edited:
The VG Epsilon looks like a penis

? Seems like a bit of a stretch.

Now warwickben's muzzledong- THAT looks like a penis.

3ehy9enu.jpg

It was quite the work in progress but we stopped getting updates when Atilla put warwickben into witness protection.

A vote for the VG6 Gamma EX. Doesn't look like a penis and you can install a CAGE device to minimize concussive blast if need be.

I have the Stag 3G on my current build. Love it, but it's absolutely friggin evil. It works amazingly well (almost too well). It vents out the top, and out the front. Pic is factory ammo no photo tricks. 20200421_165545.png

Looking for a brake / comp to pin onto a 14.5" 5.56 barrel. What do you all recommend?

The following have gotten my attention, but I have no experience with any of them:

- BCM Mod 1
- VG6 Epsilon (Comp + Flash hider - any issue with that combo for MA regs?)
- VG6 GammaEX
- Faxon Slim 3 Port (slim enough that it allows you to remove your gas block without having to remove the device which I think could be a huge bonus).

Thoughts?
Anything that gets u to 16”, lol!!!!

Is it quieter than the BCM or just shoots flatter?

I also have to double up ear pro.

JM was less harsh. I don't remember which BCM one I have, but will look in the am. It was mid tier in 2011. ;)

I briefly ran with a sota arms stainless steal comp. Looks awesome. Great machining. But OMG was it loud. It's still on a fun out door gun. Using it under a metal roof out doors is too painful.

The JerryM comp was the smoothest of the lot I tried, almost the cheapest, and on the quieter side.

Has anyone experience with these? I bought one recently but have not fired the gun yet.

Has anyone experience with these? I bought one recently but have not fired the gun yet.

Any of the linear compensators do work to redirect a fair amount of the noise down-range, and NOT to the sides or behind the shooter.

I just couldn't get past the bulbous looks of that thing. I prefer the Griffin M4SD linear compensator (link above). YMMV.

Any of the linear compensators do work to redirect a fair amount of the noise down-range, and NOT to the sides or behind the shooter.

I just couldn't get past the bulbous looks of that thing. I prefer the Griffin M4SD linear compensator (link above). YMMV.

So is the label “linear compensator” something relatively new? Isn’t it just a compromise between an A2 and a full on slatted brake?

I ask because I run a couple of Battle Comps on various guns that seem to work fine for me but I never remember back 5-7 years ago when I got them having the term thrown around. Maybe I just don’t remember it. It seams like a Battle Comp would qualify as a linear compensator having small holes running around from right-top-left and also in front venting some gas forward.

It just seems like this concept is being marketed as something new.

So is the label “linear compensator” something relatively new? Isn’t it just a compromise between an A2 and a full on slatted brake?

I ask because I run a couple of Battle Comps on various guns that seem to work fine for me but I never remember back 5-7 years ago when I got them having the term thrown around. Maybe I just don’t remember it. It seams like a Battle Comp would qualify as a linear compensator having small holes running around from right-top-left and also in front venting some gas forward.

I don't know much of the history of them. I know the Troy Claymore and the Kaw Valley ones have been around quite a while.

I have one on a 9mm 7.5” sbr. I like it better than the A2 or the Aero Epsilon that was on it prior. It also allows a longer handguard to be used.

The SLR comp and their free float HG on 16 in barrel. Rifle shoots nice but I haven’t tried other brakes/comps to give a true comparison

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 11

I don’t have any linear comps but if I’m not mistaken they don’t have any holes on any of the 4 sides, it only purges the gas, sound and flash straight out of the muzzle directing it away from you, downrange, not as much in your face as with a normal comp.

Same concept as a BMD (blast mitigation device), except BMD’s are generally an added slip on device over your normal comp and can be easily removed when not needed.

Desert Strike Tactical makes this new slip-over flash hider / comp. It adds 1.5" past the barrel tip making it 16". Looks great if you put a 15" handguard over it, gives it that "suppressor" look.
1587593602512.png

I don’t have any linear comps but if I’m not mistaken they don’t have any holes on any of the 4 sides, it only purges the gas, sound and flash straight out of the muzzle directing it away from you, downrange, not as much in your face as with a normal comp.

Ah, that makes sense. So kinda like those ak-74 krink style boosters but with holes venting gas forward in the direction of fire instead of creating back pressure.

Ah, that makes sense. So kinda like those ak-74 krink style boosters but with holes venting gas forward in the direction of fire instead of creating back pressure.

Very similar I’d say. Never used a linear Comp so can’t say how they shoot. Have seen some though for like 20.00 that just looked like a steel pipe kinda garbage. 🤷‍♂️

I have a levang linear comp on my 14.5" carbine length gas system. It's probably not the best in terms of recoil reduction, but its way less annoying (sound) to shoot and be around.

I had a Rainier XTC (the original one) pinned on my 14.5 10 years ago. Still works well.

VG6 and PWS brakes are f***ing abnoxious. I would go with the BCM Comp or Surefire SFMB unless you decide to SBR.

What is it for? Just to get you to 16"? The Troy Claymore makes for a pretty pleasant range gun.

And just so you know--that ($41) is an excellent price.

If you are doing run-and-gun and need your muzzle to track like a f***en laser beam--yeah, go with a loud $150 compensator that everybody will f***ing hate you for at the range, because it gives them a f***ing headache after a single mag--but it will drop your times by the fractions of a second that you need to win or maybe just not to place dead last. Personally I thought the Miculek comp was a total piece of shit on a range/HD-silhouette blasting AR--and it was loud as f***. Loud enough that new shooters found it disturbing and it made the AR experience distasteful.

The BCM is a decent compromise if you don't mind spending $100 for a comp which might or might not be MA legal.

I think the best bang for the buck is the Strike Industries J-Comp (version 2). In case you are wondering about the quality of the engineering that went into it--it is a knockoff of the Japanese military design. I'm going to guess the Japs knew what they were doing.

Google the SKU--you can find it for $25 on sale someplace, and it is a surprisingly good-looking compensator.

It also generally gets good reviews in tests.

Good luck.

The booster is essentially a single baffle suppressor that's not classified as a suppressor. It's a three or four piece (depending on manufacturer) device with the baffle removable for cleaning. The most popular example is Noveske Flaming Pig. Much cheaper but just as good versions are also available if you don't mind buying Chinese and don't want to overpay for a cool logo. I wouldn't put it on anything but SBR because it's heavy.

I haven't taken apart a linear comp because that would require destroying it but I'm sure it's totally different in design.

Back
Top Bottom