Boycott Costco!!!

Unlike what spawned this from another state, there are NO SIGNS in the NH or MA stores that I've ever been in, no postings on their bulletin boards inside the store either, I looked.

I and anyone else who CCW's shouldn't care about their policies. I don't ask if I can bring a knife into a store either, not their business.

If you ask most any chain store about their gun policy it will read much as Costco wrote. NONE of them will tell you it's OK, worried about liability and lawsuits and that isn't going to go away.

On a side note I did my rites of CCW passage by going to both Walmart and BJ's on the same day. I think I got sodas at both.

Just carry it anyway. If they don't have signs, you're all set. If you don't let them see it, you're all set. If they do see it, all they can ask you to do is leave. The illegals who work the doors probably don't know the rules to begin with.

the stupid thing is that how would they even know?

They surely cannot ask you when you go in and most certainly can not search you.

It's the principal of the thing guys. No, they won't know if you keep it concealed and that's the right thing for you to do. But we must hammer them anyway and let them know that we won't tolerate their hatred for gun owners.

Doesn't matter that much in NH. They only have one store with no plans to add more. Go further south and they have a store every ten miles. I don't think they see northern New England as a valuable market anyway.

It's the principal of the thing guys. No, they won't know if you keep it concealed and that's the right thing for you to do. But we must hammer them anyway and let them know that we won't tolerate their hatred for gun owners.

It's thier private property and they can run it any way they want.Maybe next we can boycott schools since they don't allow guns either.[smile]

I just looked over the membership agreement online at Costco. Not that I'm joining but there is nothing printed concerning firearms. Like most large companies, when you ask their lawyers "Can I", they will say "No" to cover their butts. I would bet that 99 percent of the large companies will give the exact same answer. They will see it as a potentional law suit if something were to happen in the store such as an AD. They balance lost sales (few in numbers) to a law suit payout (LARGE). At this point, it is probably a better financial desicion to ban firearms in their mind.

So... if they don't say up front you can't carry, why would you want to ask "Mother, may I?"

To trot out that tired old phrase... Don't ask, don't tell. [smile]

I agree. If you ask, they will say "NO". As a public relations thought, I don't think a "No firearms alowed" is going to make anyone feel better. Even those that don't have any desire to carry if permitted might think twice about the place. I'd wonder why they have to post such a sign? Is this place that dangaerous thay everyone carries a firearm?

As I stated, they do NOT post signs in the Nashua; Springfield MA; Waltham, MA; Dedham, MA; Avon, MA Costco's! The signs would carry NO WEIGHT under MGLs or NH RSAs either.

If I'm carrying, I'm carrying in their stores and everyone else's too.

If you write Stop & Shop, Shaw's, Big Y, etc. supermarkets and ask them their policy on guns in their stores, I can guarantee you that you'll get a similar answer. What then "on general principal"? Where you going to shop?

Rules are written by lawyers and they are going to CYA for their client, to the point of ridiculousness.

As for the remark
The illegals who work the doors probably don't know the rules to begin with.

I don't know what stores you've been in, but I can vouch for 90% of the Costco folks that work the doors in Avon, Waltham and Nashua . . . they are all US Citizens and speak English-American! I know many of them by name and they know who I am, as I chat with them on my way in/out each time. I learned long ago to be nice to the lower level folks, and it pays off. I did that in college and had the privilege of parking in the Faculty lot as an undergrad for all 5 years at NU! It cost me a few Christmas gifts each year to the parking lot attendants and a friendly "good morning, how are you" each day on my way to classes. . . a very small price to pay indeed!

YMMV

As I stated, they do NOT post signs in the Nashua; Springfield MA; Waltham, MA; Dedham, MA; Avon, MA Costco's! The signs would carry NO WEIGHT under MGLs or NH RSAs either.

If I'm carrying, I'm carrying in their stores and everyone else's too.

If you write Stop & Shop, Shaw's, Big Y, etc. supermarkets and ask them their policy on guns in their stores, I can guarantee you that you'll get a similar answer. What then "on general principal"? Where you going to shop?

Rules are written by lawyers and they are going to CYA for their client, to the point of ridiculousness.

As for the remark

I don't know what stores you've been in, but I can vouch for 90% of the Costco folks that work the doors in Avon, Waltham and Nashua . . . they are all US Citizens and speak English-American! I know many of them by name and they know who I am, as I chat with them on my way in/out each time. I learned long ago to be nice to the lower level folks, and it pays off. I did that in college and had the privilege of parking in the Faculty lot as an undergrad for all 5 years at NU! It cost me a few Christmas gifts each year to the parking lot attendants and a friendly "good morning, how are you" each day on my way to classes. . . a very small price to pay indeed!

YMMV

I'm referring to the stores I used to shop at in Maryland. Most of them could barely speak English. Only been to the Waltham costco twice.

I learned long ago to be nice to the lower level folks, and it pays off. I did that in college and had the privilege of parking in the Faculty lot as an undergrad for all 5 years at NU! It cost me a few Christmas gifts each year to the parking lot attendants and a friendly "good morning, how are you" each day on my way to classes. . . a very small price to pay indeed!
The phrase "Be nice to the folks on your way up, because you never know who you're going to meet on the way down" springs to mind.

Seriously, I saw something recently about this. The quote was something like "treat everyone you meet as if they're the most important person in the world, because to themselves, they are". Seems to be a good thing to remember. Being nice doesn't cost anything, and as you pointed out, it comes back to you in unexpected ways. The Wiccans refer to this as the law of three: what you do comes back to you threefold. (yes, that means that the evil you do comes back threefold, too!)

Ross

Costco isn't Wal-Mart by any means . Their employees are paid very well along with very good benefits. I spoke to a few of them at the store I shopped at back in NJ and all were very happy to be working for the company. While in NJ many did speak Spanish to accomidate the local population, all spoke English when required.

I'm friendly with ~6 Costco employees and one told me that they get paid $17+/hour working the cash registers! Loyalty to the company is huge, they are treated very well by corporate, and treatment by local management will vary all over the place as is normal in any business. Also, employees are cross-trained so the cashier today may be stocking shelves, checking receipts at the door, cards at entry or acting supervisor tomorrow. So they try to hire employees who can be flexible and learn all aspects of the business.

Contrast, I was approached by a Sam's Club employee who told me that he only makes $7/hour (he was helping customers on the floor in the electronics/computer area) and he asked me if I knew of any jobs in computer shops for more money. This was in Seekonk and not an area I'm familiar with. So there is a huge difference in treatment, pay and benefits in the different competing big-box stores (warehouse clubs in this case).

JF, I think you're over reacting. As several others have pointed out, this is pretty standard in most large corporations and the most they can do if they somehow figure out that you are carrying is ask you to leave and revoke your membership. Same goes for Fenway, the Boston Garden, er Fleet Center, er TDBankNorth Garden, or whatever it is this week, and probably Gillette Stadium. Be discreet and you'll have no problem.

Gary

I don't shop there so I don't care. But I think it's a good idea to let them know that gun owners won't tolerate discrimination and bigotry agains us.

What will they do next? Ban gay people or black people from shopping there? Fascists!

What will they do next? Ban gay people or black people from shopping there? Fascists!

In a true free market society, they would be able to ban anyone for any reason. Then the market would react either positively or negatively to that business decision. However, we don't live in a true free market society and I'm probably drifting off topic.

Gary

In a true free market society, they would be able to ban anyone for any reason. Then the market would react either positively or negatively to that business decision. However, we don't live in a true free market society
Gary

Gary,

I couldn't agree with you more. A business owner should be able to serve who ever he or she wants to. In a free market if his/her decision is a good one they will survive, if it is not, they won't.

But in America the .gov will take care of everything [rolleyes]

Gary,

I couldn't agree with you more. A business owner should be able to serve who ever he or she wants to. In a free market if his/her decision is a good one they will survive, if it is not, they won't.

But in America the .gov will take care of everything [rolleyes]

Those days are long gone, I'm afraid.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom