Boy, 11, Downs Alaskan Brown Bear With Birdshot

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Boy, 11, saves fishing party by shooting charging bear in latest attack in Alaska

Quick action from an 11-year-old boy saved a fishing party from a charging brown bear, Alaska State Troopers said.

Elliot Clark was walking through the woods near Game Creek last week with his three family members and three dogs when the bear came out and charged them, The Juneau Empire reported.

The bear ran through two of the men, pushing them to the side of the trail, leaving Elliot and his cousin left in its path, Elliot's father, Lucas, said.

"There was four of them in a line . My son was third," Elliot's father said. "The bear came down the trail at them, fella in the front, who was his uncle, the bear was on him so quickly that he didn't have time to take his rifle off his shoulder."

The boy then raised his pump action shotgun and shot the bear with birdshot.

His father said the first shot did nothing, but two more downed the bear and finishing shots by the boy and his uncle killed it.

"That first shot hit him in the shoulder and did absolutely nothing," he said. "The next shot hit him in the nose and travelled down through the neck."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...g-party-shooting-charging-bear-latest-attack/

This boy is his family's hero!
Thank god that his father taught him the proper use of firearms.
The second amendment was written exactly for times like the one this boy just experienced.
Be it a brown bear or home invader!

America Hell Yeah!

Wonder why he was loaded with birdshot in bear country.

he was with his uncles, who were most likely "loaded for bear', but the bear blew past them so quickly they could not unshoulder their rifles. The kid...was ready. He was probably planning on doing some birds or wabbits along the way

i have heard stories of hunting in brown bear country. the general idea is "WEAR a big iron revolver too", because a brown bear may not give you enough time to get your rifle to the ready. Heard one guy who got jumped coming out of the outhouse....

Last edited:
Fished game creek...bears everywhere. Bears in that area are known to be aggresive.
Had several close encounters..carried a 44 mag always.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Fished game creek...bears everywhere. Bears in that area are known to be aggresive.
Had several close encounters..carried a 44 mag always.

If I lived up there a 44mag or 454 cassul would be standard daily carry in a chest rig. But this story proves even that may not save your ass. Bears are sneaky even grizzly bears. This bear was on that whole party of people before they even had time to level a shoulder carried rifle on it! Damn!

Number 4 shot in 3 inch magnum shells is considered "bird shot".

If it's steel shot that load does a number on ducks!

If it's lead shot that load does a number on turkeys!

Either way......it's meant to take a bird.

Last edited:
Mental note. If hiking through bear country, unsling or holster your forearm. Kids Dad said he had not gotten around to putting a sling on the kids shotty.

I am impressed. Even more so that the kid was 3rd in line and managed not to shoot any of the other hikers.

The dump in Hoonah
eeeda437bf5ed448a2241cef93bdb88c.jpg

Mental note. If hiking through bear country, unsling or holster your forearm. Kids Dad said he had not gotten around to putting a sling on the kids shotty.

I am impressed. Even more so that the kid was 3rd in line and managed not to shoot any of the other hikers.

Good point. It's why I dont do ANY hunting with a sling. Too tempting to carry it that way. Lost a deer years ago that I bumped in some thick Laurel because I had my shotgun slung over my shoulder. If I had been carrying low ready I'd have got a good poke at that buck! I learned my lesson.

It was also a pet peeve of mine on convoys when we had to hault in Iraq. Young soldiers like to keep security by standing by the door with their rifle slung over a shoulder. BULLSHIT PRIVATE.......take a knee close to cover so you don't stick out too much.......rifle low ready........head on a swivel.

Slings ****ing suck.......they are nice for the line at the chow hall. Other than that.......no

Last edited:
The second amendment was written exactly for times like the one this boy just experienced.

Well...not really.

The Second Amendment, after all, doesn’t recognize our right to hunt deer or protect ourselves from criminals. Owning guns certainly makes doing those things easier, but it’s not why the Founders bothered to codify gun rights in our Bill of Rights. They were getting at something else. Simply put, the purpose of the Second Amendment is to give the people the means to overthrow the government in the event it becomes tyrannical.

Last edited:
The comments are priceless.

[FONT=&quot]To justify the killing they sell the story that it was an 11 year old doing the killing. Bears will avoid humans unless threaten or protecting their young. So I guess we are to believe a group (who are probably hunters when not fishing) and their hunting dogs didn't do anything to incite the Bear.[/FONT]

Bears in this wayershed do not avoid humans...any rifle shot is the dinner bell..bears come for the gut pile..had one bear follow us a mile up stream...my buddy whacked him on the nose with his 9 foot fly rod. Bears would raid the farm we stayed at, a daily problem.

The comments are priceless.

[FONT=&amp]To justify the killing they sell the story that it was an 11 year old doing the killing. Bears will avoid humans unless threaten or protecting their young. So I guess we are to believe a group (who are probably hunters when not fishing) and their hunting dogs didn't do anything to incite the Bear.[/FONT]
That one just made me shake my head. Anti-gun lefties are sooooo incredibly naive and stupid. [thinking]

That one just made me shake my head. Anti-gun lefties are sooooo incredibly naive and stupid. [thinking]

Should give them a free fishing trip on that same river, no guide, just point them in the direction of the fish.

Thought 1: That's a really happy ending to that story.
Thought 2: Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement (+testicles of tungsten)
Thought 3: The second amendment was clearly written with a different species in mind. [laugh]
19227619_349184128830024_5080080016264396800_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hunting with weapon slinged is foolish. Having a sling post kill, dragging out beast, priceless.

Jarheads are all taught to use the sling when shooting a rifle. I haven't hunted in years, but I agree with you and whacko that slinged while hunting could cost you. And obviously, if it is in bear country, could cost you your life.

Back
Top Bottom