Bow Hunting

Some climbers have a strap to connect the foot platform part to the seat part. Iffin yours don't, I'd suggest five feet of rope to connect the two.

Otherwise you could be here.

.with the platform here,

..and you have to get down here. [smile]
Eventually. [thinking]

Heh. I thought of that so I roped them together.

What brand of climber did you buy? I have hunted both hanging stands and climbers and after having a couple of hangers stolen I just hunt climbers now.

I absolutely love bowhunting. You can hunt earlier, see deer in their natural environment before all the shooting starts, and you get to hunt during the rut. Practice, practice, and then practice some more. Shooting a bow with buck fever, freezing your arse off, with 5 layers of clothing on is a lot different than shooting with your jeans and t-shirt on in the backyard. Good luck, and have fun.

The climbers are a good choice. I use a Loggy bayou and it's almost to comfortable.
Just bummed I missed going out today.

I almost fell out of my stand a few times and was saved by my safety harness. You can get sleepy after a few hours in the stand.
That's why a real lineman's harness is required. Many tree stands come with these cheapy straps that go around your chest that you can easily fall out of. Spend an extra $100 and get a real harness, so that when (WHEN, not IF) you fall asleep, you don't break your back.

You got up at 3:00 AM to get out in the woods in time, so it is really, really easy to fall asleep. Been there, done that.

Today was my first day in the stand. I also learned to pay particular attention to the thickness of the tree you put it on.[smile]
hahaha
Thats great! Been there done that.
So were you leaning too far forward or too far back? I am guessing forward and that is VERY uncomfortable. You always feel like you are going to fall out of the stand.

I had some errands to run today after work but decided to take a quick pit stop where I have been thinking of hunting. So I get out of the truck and think man, wish I had my bow. Ahhhh no worries there are dirt-bikes around everywhere they wont be moving, jokes on me! I jumped 2 of them about 100 yards from my truck on the way out of the woods. The worst part was that we met at the top of a hill and I could have spit on the damn things. But we just stood there looking at each-other for a min[thinking] STUPID STUPID STUPID !! NEVER go into the woods during hunting season without a weapon. So I just said the hell with it and started walking which spooked them and they took off running. Sure enough one of them pops out 30 yards down the road walking away from me but towards my truck. At this point it is getting very frustrating but I just keep walking behind the deer on the way to my truck and she has no clue. Finally she stops and turns around to see me about 35 yards behind her walking in her direction and flags up and away she goes.
Think I need to take another walk tomorrow [wink]

I know what you mean by "Too Comfortable" . I almost fell out of my stand a few times and was saved by my safety harness. You can get sleepy after a few hours in the stand. [wink]
Last year I came soo close to falling out after falling asleep it still gives me the shivers. I woke up as I was starting to fall forward and grabbed a piece of the stand to get my ass back in the seat. I was done for the day at that point.

How are you guys falling asleep in your stands? I've never fallen asleep and have hunted from treestands for the last 15 years. I own Summits, too, and they're some of the most comfortable stands you can buy. I make sure I'm always awake, you never know when you'll see deer.

hahaha
Thats great! Been there done that.
So were you leaning too far forward or too far back? I am guessing forward and that is VERY uncomfortable. You always feel like you are going to fall out of the stand.

It wasn't so much my leaning. It was the heavy wind that came up for a bit. It felt like the tree was going to blow down.

Good luck Martlett.

I have been shooting a bow since I was about 10 years old. Hunting with them since 15. Shooting them is the easy part. Getting within 20 yards of an alert deer with a shooting lane for long enough to get him with an arrow is the hard part. From the ground it is really, really, hard. You can often get close, but not for long enough to get the shot off. In a stand you can often have deer walk right by and never know you were there. Sometimes they even look at you and are not spooked because you are up in a tree and they are unsure of what you are. If you are on the ground they are gone in a second.

This is how hard it is: I've done it for about 15 years, off an on, not every year, and only a few times a year when I do, and I have never EVEN SHOT at one with my bow. Passed up about a bunch while trying for the big one or was unsure I'd get a kill shot and didn't take it.

Taking a chance on a tough shot and wounding one is not an option for me, with a bow or a gun.

I mostly use it scout for shotgun season as I can never usually get out there in enough time to get properly prepare for bow season. This year is no exception.

Got back from the Family Camp in the Catskills Monday....struck out this year.....
p1000309jj6.jpg

"Any day in the stand is a great day"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom