• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bow for whitetail hunting?

Find a local Bow shop. Don't waste your time with The big box stores. Your bow need to have a pro fit it to you. 1/2" too short or too long is the difference from decent form and horrible form. which in turn equals decent shot groups or crappy groups.

Martin is just getting back into the bow game after a few years of shutting down. They made some good bows and were big back in the early 90's.

Personally $300 is a very low budget to get into the sport. Join archerytalk its a great forum and guys sell stuff for great prices that are lightly used.

I second taking the time to go to a archery pro shop. There are a few around MA that are great. ~$500 should get you a nice bow. Then practice a bunch before opening day. Good luck

Find a local Bow shop. Don't waste your time with The big box stores. Your bow need to have a pro fit it to you. 1/2" too short or too long is the difference from decent form and horrible form. which in turn equals decent shot groups or crappy groups.

Martin is just getting back into the bow game after a few years of shutting down. They made some good bows and were big back in the early 90's.

Personally $300 is a very low budget to get into the sport. Join archerytalk its a great forum and guys sell stuff for great prices that are lightly used.

End of discussion.

http://www.reedysarchery.com/

If you check e-bay you can get a solid used bow, with sight, rest, arrows etc. for under $500, might be another $100 to get it tuned up and fitted to you at a local shop.

Buying new you won't get much for $500, a decent sight is $50, a good rest is $75-$100, release is $75.

I recently picked up a Mathews Switchback for $480 in ebay, put $70 into a cam and it's ready to hunt.

If you check e-bay you can get a solid used bow, with sight, rest, arrows etc. for under $500, might be another $100 to get it tuned up and fitted to you at a local shop.

Buying new you won't get much for $500, a decent sight is $50, a good rest is $75-$100, release is $75.

I recently picked up a Mathews Switchback for $480 in ebay, put $70 into a cam and it's ready to hunt.

The problem with buying a bow online is that every bow company list Draw length slightly differently. And some companies drawl length is cam specific or semi cam specific. So unless you know for sure what you draw length is for that bow you might be sol

The problem with buying a bow online is that every bow company list Draw length slightly differently. And some companies drawl length is cam specific or semi cam specific. So unless you know for sure what you draw length is for that bow you might be sol

Make sure you can get a cam for the bow you're looking at, like I said I bought a switchback that was borderline on length but cams are available. Once I got it I had the cam swapped out and now it shoots awesome and it didn't cost much to get there.

A Halon which is the modern version of the Switchback is about $899 without a sight/rest/etc. It's just a matter of doing research before buying.

If your willing to take a drive R&R Sports shop in beltchertown has a huge selection and the guys know what theyre talking about. I know they have a used Elite Judge in stock for little money and the bow has a great warranty. Im sure they have other bows as well. I picked up my last bow from them. 2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo It was a new left over and paid $500 out the door.

Go to Kittery, they have a good selection of new and used bows. Don't bother with Dicks, the guys at Kittery are very good.

I'll second this. I bought my Mathews there 10 years ago and it's still knocking them dead. Might want to up the budget though. Dozen carbon arrows,field tips,G5's, a proper release and your already out $300. And you still haven't bought a bow,drop away rest ,site and a dozen other things. You get what you pay for and You will out grow a cheap bow in the blink of a eye. Good luck

Make sure you can get a cam for the bow you're looking at, like I said I bought a switchback that was borderline on length but cams are available. Once I got it I had the cam swapped out and now it shoots awesome and it didn't cost much to get there.

A Halon which is the modern version of the Switchback is about $899 without a sight/rest/etc. It's just a matter of doing research before buying.

This is why if you buy a bow online you should get a brand that lets you have some adjustment in draw length without changing cams. Bear, PSE, and Hoyt as a couple of examples... Good luck finding a new Hoyt online though...

Hoyt gives you 2" of adjustment if im correct. I know my RKT cam goes from 28-30. I believe most bowtech go from 24"-30". Elites have some room as well, Most if not all Mathews are cam specific. Elite's warranty is the only transferable one offered so if you buy one use its still under warranty for life. Where Mathews, hoyt, and bowtech are only good for the orginal owner.

Go to a archery shop. I went to Jerrys Bait and Tackle in Milford and he spent almost 2 hours picking out the bow and fitting it to me. I would say $500 is about the minamun by the time you get some arrows and a decent release. Good luck.

Tee Pee archery in Acton is really good. Brian Visco is a fr iggan pro.

My first bow was a $350 martin on sale at kittery trading post. The very first time I went bow hunting I shot a deer with it. I thought wow bow hunting is easy - anything but. It a great sport that will keep you awake at night for sure. Not having anything to compare this bow to i thought it was great.

Picked up a Mathews and felt what a great bow felt like......night and day. I would not let someone at Dicks touch my bow.

Back
Top Bottom