• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought my first press today

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
I got a Redding T7 turret press.

Last Sunday during his metallic cartridge reloading class 'EddieCoyle' mentioned his appreciation for the robust build of the Redding T7. I was immediately intrigued and checked out the article on his website featuring the T7 press http://www.massreloading.com/turret_presses.html

This press appealed to my wallet and the manner in which I planned to use it. So, today I picked one up at Shooters Outpost -- where it was priced roughly the same as the "sale" price and shipping would have been from Midway.

I also got a set of Redding dies in 9mm (#88172). The dies were $97, and even though that seems comparative or even better than some on-line prices, it was a tough choice to make given my lack of experience. Particularly seeing that their other offering of RCBS dies were $57. However, the Redding dies just looked much more finely machined and having no other basis to go on I went for it. I hope I did not make a mistake, but if I did "oh well" I am sure it will not be my last. [laugh]

I do not plan to use the T7 in the same manner that 'EddieCoyle' had it set up in that article with a shell activated powder measure mounted on the turret. My plan is to resize/decap, expand/prime in a "progressive-like" manner, then batch charge all the cases using a bench mounted powder measure, inspect them in a block, and finish up by seating/crimping just like a single stage press. I think this is the safest approach for someone like me who is both a beginner and an older geezer without the sharpest eyesight anymore.

Not counting 22LR -- I shoot at best 200 rounds a week and of that its a mix of 9mm, .380 and .45 ACP. So I was looking for fairly low volume production and relatively inexpensive caliber changes. I am hoping I have made the right choice.

Next step decide on a powder measure. [rolleyes]

If EC says it is a good one, you can take it to the bank. He loads a few rounds more than the typical hand roller. Personally I have Hornady dies in a bunch of calibers. Sold the 9mm dillon dies that were never used to the man if I recall correctly. Wouldn't be surprised if he has worn out dies. Even carbide.

Taking the class puts you way ahead of so many people who just wing it. Good luck.

Good thing is if you find its to slow for your needs you can up grade and use the T7 for load test and precision rifle.
Get the case activated powder drop.

Last edited:
My brother has that press and loves it. He only loads .44mag but it's perfect for him.

I was thinking about picking 1 of these up but decided to just get a lee single stage to go with my dillon

good for you taking the class. EC is the best, we're lucky to have him. when i started reloading in the early 70's there was no such thing, classes. we talked to the old timers at our club, picked their brains so to speak, and i'll tell you, a lot of them had some really unorthodox ways of doing things. one guy had a "close enough" approach but by god he died with both his eyes, hands, and face intact. lol. yeah, a reloading class..a good thing for sure.

choose that powder measure wisely, in my opinion i don't think they are all created equal.

Redding dies are top-notch. I have them in several rifle calibers. With your setup they would be my first choice, too.
Next up, before you'll need a powder measure, you'll need a powder scale. EC probably has some recommendations on those, too. Welcome to the asylum.

Next up, before you'll need a powder measure, you'll need a powder scale. EC probably has some recommendations on those, too.

A very good point, cannot judge the former without the latter.

Researching them is part of this morning's lazy web-based agenda (Why yes -- I am hoping that lawn is going to cut itself [wink] )

Back
Top Bottom