• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought an 1911/ended up with an M&P 45

stinx

NES Member
I was at my local gun stealer (actually there great guys) in the case I see a Springfield 1911. Being how hard these are to get in Ma I look it over quickly and buy it as I am in a rush, the price was right and all seemed well. The paper work stated a noted gunsmith from southern Ma had replaced the trigger, Hammer, Grip safety and added an ambidextrous safety. The gun had the box paperwork etc but no paperwork from smith.
The gun looked almost unfired so I complete the transaction fly home and chuck it in my safe. I grudgingly go Christmas shopping with the wife and return home about two hours later. I be-line it right to my safe to fondle my cherished new toy. I began to handle it when I immediately notice something’s amuck. Upon pulling the trigger the hammer will fall, even though I am not compressing the grip safety. Uh Oh I’m not the brightest bulb, but I know this isn’t right. I start to handle the gun and realize with the hammer cocked and the safety off, putting the safeties on will drop the hammer. I’m like what the ^&^&**. I call the shop back and there perturbed as I am. The shop is about to close, but they tell me they will wait for me to return the pistol if I want. I drive down and without question they exchange the gun for me for a new M&P 45. Ironically I wanted one of these as the manual of arms is the same as my duty pistol, but I had to have a 1911. The shop is a good place and the guys felt horrible that this gun was taken in. The shop told me they were going to call the guns owner and tell him to come get the gun and remove it from the consignment case. The guys even went so far as to say they are thinking about only taking stock guns in on consignment or trade from this point forward. I guess if there is a lesson to be learned here its don’t buy a gun if your in a rush. I was fortunate the shop was stand up and dealt with this like it should be. I was also lucky I was smart enough to look the gun over before ever inserting live ammo or a mag into it. Buyers beware. YMMV

Last edited:
Function checks are best done before buying.

Good deal that the shop did right by you. They should have caught the condition of the pistol before offeringit up for sale. Even better they should have caught it before taking it in trade.

Yeah I know but I made a mistake and rushed Who can say they never have rushed. It ended well and I got a great .45

It sounds to me like the people at the shop should have looked this gun over a lot more thoroughly before putting it on the shelf. There is no reason why you should have gone home with this gun in the state it was in. I feel as though if these guys want a successful business they need to pay more attention to what they are dealing. I do not mean any disrespect, this are obviously a good business because of how they handled the situation afterwords which is a lot more than a lot of other places would do, but I do not think it ever should have gotten that far. Glad to here everything worked out.

I will take part of the blame. I normally will never buy a gun if its been altered from stock unless I know the smith or person who owned the gun. In this case its a reputable shop who I have dealt with numerous times and they vouched for the owner of the gun . On the plus an M&P is far easier to work on and I have already put in motion the process for replacing the crappy 10Lb Mass trigger parts with the standard 6.5LBs parts. Im an M&P armorer so getting the parts is easy. I am also adding a set of Ameriglow night sights also. I really like how this gun feels in the hand.

It sounds to me like the people at the shop should have looked this gun over a lot more thoroughly before putting it on the shelf. There is no reason why you should have gone home with this gun in the state it was in. I feel as though if these guys want a successful business they need to pay more attention to what they are dealing. I do not mean any disrespect, this are obviously a good business because of how they handled the situation afterwords which is a lot more than a lot of other places would do, but I do not think it ever should have gotten that far. Glad to here everything worked out.

I couldn't agree with you more Buck. Anytime I look at a used gun, I always ask if the gun has been inspected completely and cleaned. They will always say yes. Then I immediately go the the range and determine if I was lied to. Twice I have had to return the gun within an hour.

Sounds like when the grip safety and ambi thum safety were swapped out, he took off too much material on each and now they dont work. Easy enough mistake to make.

When purhcasing a semi auto, you really have to go through the whole function test - varies for each model/type.

Back
Top Bottom