Bought a new Sig Mosquito Today

doc538

NES Member
Oh boy what an idiot :) Brand new Mosquito from a local dealer and what do I do ? I put it on my bench to clean and lube before shooting, start at the normal remove slide... 20 minutes later I had it completely disassembled. [shocked]
[/FONT]
Well I had read about some trigger problems and FTE problems so I figured I would check it out and maybe to some upgrades first.. Did I mention i am a copier/computer tech and not an Armory guy.. and this is my second semi auto , the other is back at the factory getting fixed [grin]

Thanks for it having so many problems that there where a ton of pictures and fixes I could download, So I did a few and reassembled it, now I am off to the range to see if it will fire correctly.

This is what it looked like after 20 minutes, not a picture of my actual gun, you can tell by the date

DSCN1206.jpg

Last edited:
If you are not a certified sig armorer, I would suggest you not to take the gun apart further than field stripping. It can get expensive to have sent back to be repaired because you didnt know what you were doing... It will cost you over 100.00 just to replace the screw holes if you overtighten/strip them on the grip panels.... Not to mention the fact it voids any un-written warranties....
Advice from a certified sig Armorer....
~Drew

Thanks for the advice Drew! If I was anybody else I would have listened to you, I am a true mechanic, I take things apart, see how they work, see if I can improve on them and then put them back to together. Also I had already stripped this gun before you replied. I realize I have voided my sig 1 year warranty, but what a wonderful time I had, It was worth it. I now have a very very smooth, even trigger at a poundage that is perfect for me. With it down I polished the heck out of all the trigger components and then moved on to the feed. Amazing what polishing and de-buring the mag and barrel can do for feed problems.

So at the range today, one hundred CCI mini mags with a few FTE, @ 50 ft groupings were tight at less than 1.4" with the gun stationary. Hand held they were more like 4-5 " but that's me and not the gun, oh and it was rapid fire.... this is my second semi auto since August of this year, so I am still learning how to shoot them.

On to garbage Remington bulk pack bullets, Out of 50 I had two FTE, not bad for el cheapo ammo, next we will try out Wally World bulk cheapo's I bought 999 of them today, but before I load I will break them down into about 100 and out into a baggie with a shot or two of Horandy sure shot, I have heard this will fix FTE problems...

On this note let me say, I love this gun! It feels big, It fires Nice, Flames pour out of the chamber and the sucker has a little kick to it. I like it better than my 9mm for pure fun shooting, in a gun fight I would rather the 9 or in reality a 50mm machine gun... :) but at our range the mosquito is wicked cool. And thanks to some great guys over at sigforum I had no problems tearing down and rebuilding my sig..

Now I do not advise anyone to do the same, there are a bunch of little springs and a ball bearing that are real easy to lose... Sorry Drew, I really enjoyed doing this and for the 3 hundred bucks the sig cost, I really don't care about the warrenty... And MY sig is ONE of the best around

now to get it to love wally world el cheapo bulk 22's :)

SteveCase, the Mosquito is a blast to shoot, wish it had a 30 round clip :) I am able to hit the target at 50 feet, and group within 5-6 inches.. No longer having any FTE's With the butt on the bench It makes a nice 1.4" grouping.. The trigger is smooth and light. It feels like a bigger Sig but lighter and cheaper to shoot. I might just go buy another so I can do some two fisted shooting.

As for the bad reviews, there are also a ton of good ones and a lot of advice on correcting any problems the gun might have.. I have found that the biggest concerns were the trigger being gritty and hard, and Failure to Eject spent shells.. Now with 22's you are going to have some eject or misfire problems but if you use CCI mini Mags and a little oil you can limit the problems, the trigger can be smooth out fairly easy but the newer ones seem to be a lot better than the older models.

I love my Mosquito, the second thing I did was went out and bought 10 mags for it. Make sure you get the metal ones and not the plastic [sad], learned the hard way on that one, the plastic feed like crap. I have probably 20,000-25,000 rounds down it in just about a year. The only thing I do is clean it after every shoot and I only shoot the CCI Mini Mags. Have fun.

I love my Mosquito, the second thing I did was went out and bought 10 mags for it. Make sure you get the metal ones and not the plastic [sad], learned the hard way on that one, the plastic feed like crap. I have probably 20,000-25,000 rounds down it in just about a year. The only thing I do is clean it after every shoot and I only shoot the CCI Mini Mags. Have fun.

Man that's more than buying another gun, but I can see why ya would ! I am now running wal mart specials through it, I put them in baggies, add 1 shot of triflo oil shake well and we are off to the range with not jams or eject problems.

Back
Top Bottom