• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought a BOSS BUCK feeder from Tractor Supply.

It has been out for two weeks and since it it legal to bait deer on private land in north Georgia I decided to try one. My broadcast feeders make noise and the deer mostly feed at night. The BOSS BUCK is self feed and makes no noise. I am hoping that they will come and feed during the day. The deer found it in 4 days, but haven't figured out how to stick their nose in to eat yet.

Are you allowed to do this up in the Northeast?

Attachments

• 785471-9e047811becc153d45789ad171d8b375.jpg
    785471-9e047811becc153d45789ad171d8b375.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 785944-12eb06b74bb30c1c8a62ce093dac4ddf.jpg
    785944-12eb06b74bb30c1c8a62ce093dac4ddf.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 62
  • boss buck feeder .jpg
    boss buck feeder .jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
In my part of the state they should weigh 200 lbs. plus when older. Years ago when there weren't any deer in Georgia the state stocked deer from many different parts of the country. This affects their sizes and when they go into rut. Alabama did the same thing and their rut is in January and mostly here in Georgia it is in the first week of November.

Only Texas has more deer than Georgia. We are allowed 2 bucks and 10 does per season. Any special hunts do not count against the limit. One of the buck shot to have 4 points of 1" on one side. The other can be a spike and a button buck with no bone showing is considered a doe. There are many special hunts on public land, but they don't count towards the 12 deer limit. I like to kill 2 bucks and one doe to supply me with enough meet for the whole year. The bucks are usually larger than the does. More meat.

I use this guys system for processing my deer. Search this on Youtube.

"Cut Deer 8 minutes Hied Wild Game, Bone. MOV"

Look up this on Youtube because this guy shut down the embedding of his video. He does it in 8 minutes and I do mine in about 15 minutes. These are the tools that I use. The knife cost me about 30$ and I got the meat hook from Cabalas for about 8$. The hook works great. I use the loppers to cut off the legs and cut through the pubic bone. I also got the knife with a yellow handle incase I dropped it in the leaves at night I can still find it. Ask me how I know. HEHEHE.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 9
  • hook & knife .png
    hook & knife .png
    27.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
In mass baiting is illegal
In NH bait stations are allowed with a permit only.

What is the difference between a food plot and a pile of corn?
Biologists claim the pile of corn can transmit disease because the deer eat from the same pile......food plots the deer don't eat the same pile as they are grazing the same as when they are feeding.

Keep in mind....hunting regulations are set to control the success rate of hunters in population management. Allowing baiting increases success.....not allowing it decreases success. Same thing with deer drives.....they are legal in mass and it allows for higher success rates.....the deer population is well above the plan. If the population drops to or near the planned level we could see drives not be allowed to decrease the success rates. The rules of the hunt have more to do with controlling success rates rather than ethics.

Wildlife management can be controlled through hunting by changing 2 factors

1. Hunting pressure.....number of hunters allowed to hunt the game animal and number of animals that can be taken...tags....lotteries bag limits etc....

2. Hunting success rate......setting the rules of the chase and hunting impliments allowed to have the desired effect on hunter success rates.......baiting.....driving....shotgun only....muzzle loader only......bow only......hunting with or without dogs (bear hunts) etc....

Last edited:
What is the difference between a food plot and a pile of corn?

Legal v. Illegal.

[laugh]

It's kind of hard to say that a pile of corn in the woods is not bait. In a place like an orchard, that's a more difficult call. So, the state has the current definition of what's bait, and what is not.

On the subject of such....Yesterday, I had a coyote in my back yard, eating drop apples. I'm in Framingham. [shocked]

Of course corn on the ground or in a feeder is bait just the same as a planted food plot which is legal here in Georgia.

Back
Top Bottom