• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston restricted LTC hypothetical

v13

I've asked a couple people and got very different responses so I thought I'd ask here as well. I don't expect legal advice just general understanding.

I will be receiving my sporting/target restricted LTC-A in about a month or so. My primary motivation was target shooting but have been pondering home protection in lieu of the double murder and series of break-ins that have happened in my usually quiet neighborhood. Now that I will have a sporting/target restricted license does this mean I cannot under the law defend myself in my own apartment from an intruder with soon to be purchased handgun? It seems so, if you interpret the restrictions as in place in public and private. The language isn't very clear

"This license is restricted to such target shooting and traveling to and from the gun club. Applicants must continue their membership in a bona fide gun club for the duration of the license"

On the other hand, it seems that if I had gotten a class B I would have been able to have a non hi-cap rifle or SG as home defense weapon and still be within the law as there are appear to be no restrictions placed on class B licenses in Boston.

Any fellow Bostonians care to chime in on this?

Thanks
Nathaniel

"On the other hand, it seems that if I had gotten a class B I would have been able to have a non hi-cap rifle or SG as home defense weapon...

First, whoever told you that an LTC - B excludes "large capacity" rifles and shotguns was wrong. If this is your own conclusion, you reached the wrong one. There are only TWO differences between an A and a B license:

1. One can carry carry concealed only with an LTC - A (if not restricted from such use); and

2. One cannot possess "large capacity" HANDGUNS on an an LTC - B. Rifles and shotguns are FINE.

Second, thanks to GOAL, now all LTCs are restricted; it expessly says that where it used to state "Reason For Issuance." So, Boston certainly could - and probably would - restrict even an LTC-B.

Note that there is NO statutory requirement to belong to a club and a court decision STRIKING DOWN such a "requirement."

Scrivner my mistake regarding the different classes. The wording does leave a lot to be desired.

Right. There may be no statutory requirement for the gun club membership but try to get a LTC without it in Boston. See the sticky, if you want to see my PDF of the special form Boston uses. I'm sure there is no statutory requirement for a shooting test either but I had to do that too.

So basically I'm SOL if some crackhead from my neighborhood decides to break in while I'm home because I can't get ALP without investing in an attorney? Guess the Louisville slugger will stay near the bed a until I move out of this town.

Scrivener said:
"On the other hand, it seems that if I had gotten a class B I would have been able to have a non hi-cap rifle or SG as home defense weapon...

First, whoever told you that an LTC - B excludes "large capacity" rifles and shotguns was wrong. If this is your own conclusion, you reached the wrong one. There are only TWO differences between an A and a B license:

1. One can carry carry concealed only with an LTC - A (if not restricted from such use); and

2. One cannot possess "large capacity" HANDGUNS on an an LTC - B. Rifles and shotguns are FINE.

Second, thanks to GOAL, now all LTCs are restricted; it expessly says that where it used to state "Reason For Issuance." So, Boston certainly could - and probably would - restrict even an LTC-B.

Note that there is NO statutory requirement to belong to a club and a court decision STRIKING DOWN such a "requirement."

"So basically I'm SOL if some crackhead from my neighborhood decides to break in while I'm home because I can't get ALP without investing in an attorney? Guess the Louisville slugger will stay near the bed a until I move out of this town."

I didn't say that.

As you would not be leaving your home in order to defend it, the restriction would not seem terribly relevant. Was the gun secured per statute? Was the person you shot an unlawful intruder? Were you in reasonable fear for your own safety or that of a family member?

If the answer to all the above questions is YES, the restriction on your LTC is the least of it.

I've been pre-approved for a mortgage and I'll soon be looking at properties in New Hampshire. I'm getting the hell out of Boston. Screw them and their restricted licenses.

The retarded cops in this city can't control the criminals - we have shootings all the time - and they are going to force me to take a restricted license?

No way. I'm out of Boston and out of Taxachusetts. This places sucks ass.

Back
Top Bottom