Boston PD 'Straw' Purchase

Wonder if the LEO used the classifieds here for those ads selling NIB Glocks in MA to sell or attempt to sell the guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that the buyers on NES would follow the FA10 process.

I doubt his buddy has a LTC and files a FA10.

If the cop is a true criminal he would be selling a black market gun without FA10.

If he was a guy selling lots of guns and was filing a FA10 (many times for many sales) then he should know that you can only do 4 per year. If he was doing more than 4 in that manner - it is no wonder he got busted.

Generally speaking - high cap mags are not an issue in this case because the normal mag for a sub compact is only 10 rounds.

I would like to know if the cop left the serial number on the gun.
If it was removed - was the gun still ID'd as once belonging to the cop.

I have a permit. So does my wife. I can buy any firearm for her at any time, fill out the paperwork in my name and give it to my wife. Of course, living at the same address, storing in the same cabinet. Quite different from this case.
But there is still the question of time. Does the law state how long one must maintain possession before one can legally transfer a firearm to another party in MA. Article also said the guns were stolen soon after the supposed lawful transfer. That fact makes it a little harder to believe. But in the absence of proof that the officer illegally transferred said guns to a PP, I'm not sure I'd convict of I were on the jury.
2 degrees of separation.
Did the feds make a deal with the guys he transferred the Glocks to? If they had permits and then illegal gave them to PP's they should be indicted. Did they flip on the cop? Or are they just handing up a bigger fish with lies to get out of going to jail themselves?

Many gun owners and/or supporters asked for this. It has been a prominent theme that we don't need more gun laws, we just need the current ones enforced. One of the big ones? Enforcement of straw....

I can't think of a single gun law I want enforced against anyone, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not being a LEO myself is the question regarding 'official use' on a .gov form or a form from Glock?

ANSWER from KD's second link:
I had a letter from my former chief on file at the local gun shop. Just LEO credentials alone were not enough to buy non MA approved guns. I had to have a letter stating it was for “official use” which we all had. The Old chief was a gun guy and would write anyone the letter as long as you were not a choad.

Last edited:
"Karani allegedly used his police identification to acquire the weapons, which may not be purchased by civilians, and certified on federal forms that the guns were for official police use," prosecutors said.

I've never seen a question or box on a federal form certifying that guns be used for "official police use only".

Does this mean that a police officer's personal private property cannot ever be sold to a non-law enforcement officer? What is the legal time limit between the original purchase and the sale of a gun before it is no longer considered a "straw purchase"?

False fact that Glocks may not be purchased by civilians.
Police are civilians so other than mass law exception for guns departments/leo can buy here in ma he is supposed to be following laws like the rest of us , rolling my eyes.

So somewhere along the line he lied to get guns from FFL that can not be purchased from a FFL with out the LEO exemption.
My best guess is one of his buddies got hung up on other charged and wad asked , where did you get this gun it maybe FFL had a visit from ATF and do a records check.
Either way I think many gun laws are just bogus and there are to many but its a bit refreshing to see those who make the laws and the enforcers get hung to when they brake said laws.

I had a letter from my former chief on file at the local gun shop. Just LEO credentials alone were not enough to buy non MA approved guns. I had to have a letter stating it was for “official use” which we all had. The Old chief was a gun guy and would write anyone the letter as long as you were not a choad.
Thats a bit bogus also, but if all it takes is a letter from the chief I guess its OK..... EVERYONE finds a way to get around the hurtles of laws.

It was only a matter of time before this happened.

Boston police officer charged with buying 2 pistols for civilians

Ex-Boston cop accused of buying guns that went to gangs

A couple of my thoughts:
1) This guy is screwed per US v. Abramski:

2) This just underscore the BS that is the LEO exception. I'm not aware of any Massachuetts LE agency that require their people to provide their own firearms for 'official use'. Some perhaps permit it under certain circumstances, but Boston PD isn't likely one of them.

3) Note that this is FEDERAL charge. But don't be surprised if the feds had the full cooperation of Massachusetts authorities.
What’s wrong with having access to a discount , it’s well deserved. As for this Officer , his desire to help his friends save some money might put his job in danger. Of course he can likely retire or take another route to avoid any possible jail time or the like

What’s wrong with having access to a discount , it’s well deserved. As for this Officer , his desire to help his friends save some money might put his job in danger. Of course he can likely retire or take another route to avoid any possible jail time or the like
Police officers are entrusted with protecting the community and given authority to take actions that non-police cannot. In turn they are, or at least should, be held to a higher level of accountability. The officer knowingly broke the law. He should lose his job and any pension. And he should definitely face incarceration at the same level that a non-police officer would.

By supporting officers who openly break the law YOU are harming their reputation and how they are viewed in the community.

At the risk of getting flamed, I'm glad that cops get boned on the same laws as Joe Blow.
When is the union going to start pushing for another exception?
Agree entirely.
Boston PD should be banned from carrying any firearm off duty, even if they don't live in Boston, because the City of Boston denies permits to carry to anyone that is not on the (illegal) special list.

2) This just underscore the BS that is the LEO exception. I'm not aware of any Massachuetts LE agency that require their people to provide their own firearms for 'official use'. Some perhaps permit it under certain circumstances, but Boston PD isn't likely one of them.
In my state, police officers can buy their own backup pistol. But they do have to qualify with any pistol they plan to carry on duty. Is that the case in MA?
Usually the back up is a subcompact though. G43, P365, ....

It was only a matter of time before this happened.

Boston police officer charged with buying 2 pistols for civilians

Ex-Boston cop accused of buying guns that went to gangs

A couple of my thoughts:
1) This guy is screwed per US v. Abramski:

3) Note that this is FEDERAL charge. But don't be surprised if the feds had the full cooperation of Massachusetts authorities.

There are still quite a few departments in western mass with part time officers that require them to purchase their own firearms, or they can be "lent" firearms that belong to the chief or someone else in the department. Mine was like that. They didn't like the gun I purchased on my own and so pressured me in to buying a Glock from another officer who was an FFL. I did NOT get a blue label discount, either. I imagine he and the chief split the blue label difference between them.

Police officers are entrusted with protecting the community and given authority to take actions that non-police cannot. In turn they are, or at least should, be held to a higher level of accountability. The officer knowingly broke the law. He should lose his job and any pension. And he should definitely face incarceration at the same level that a non-police officer would.

By supporting officers who openly break the law YOU are harming their reputation and how they are viewed in the community.

He’s trolling. I stopped responding to him awhile ago.

That said I agree with you completely.

As for this Officer , his desire to help his friends save some money might put his job in danger. Of course he can likely retire or take another route to avoid any possible jail time or the like
He got 3 months inside and a year of supervised release. See the link in post #68.

Man, the dude should have kept his pie hole shut.

I bought it for personal use. I hated the way the >insert bullshit here< grip, trigger, thickness felt on the Glock 30...so I sold it. Hay....No Straw here. Period.

I bought the 40 for personal use, but was ridiculed so much about the gainess of the caliber that I was peer-pressured into selling that too. No straw purchase.

GFY.

The Blue Label program is a discount offered by some mfrs. Some mfrs offer the same/similar discount to instructors, MIL, other first responders, etc. This is strictly a "private deal" between mfr and consumer (with distributors/blue label dealers). No laws are involved here, it is a contract between the parties and a civil matter.

MGL specifies that only guns on the EOPS List can be transferred to any person (including LEOs), only LE agencies are exempt from this! The AG non-list has an exemption for LEOs only. This is NOT law, it is a civil issue with $ fine ONLY attached.

Straw Purchase is a Fed crime with real hard-time prison penalties. And the Feds twist the criteria for a Straw Purchase to fit their political agenda. Getting caught up in this is relatively easy and a real risk. Keyboard commandos saying "I bought it, shot it once, decided I didn't like it, so I sold it" is not likely to fly in court. Especially if multiple guns are involved (LE considers this a "pattern" of crime).

The Blue Label program is a discount offered by some mfrs. Some mfrs offer the same/similar discount to instructors, MIL, other first responders, etc. This is strictly a "private deal" between mfr and consumer (with distributors/blue label dealers). No laws are involved here, it is a contract between the parties and a civil matter.

MGL specifies that only guns on the EOPS List can be transferred to any person (including LEOs), only LE agencies are exempt from this! The AG non-list has an exemption for LEOs only. This is NOT law, it is a civil issue with $ fine ONLY attached.

Straw Purchase is a Fed crime with real hard-time prison penalties. And the Feds twist the criteria for a Straw Purchase to fit their political agenda. Getting caught up in this is relatively easy and a real risk. Keyboard commandos saying "I bought it, shot it once, decided I didn't like it, so I sold it" is not likely to fly in court. Especially if multiple guns are involved (LE considers this a "pattern" of crime).
Buy it, shoot it once, transfer/Sell it.

Back
Top Bottom