Boston Globe Article on Governor's Proposal to Limit Gun Purchases

People in government who think up and implement these type of laws are unfit to be breathing oxygen.

EDIT: Here is my post from another thread from last week, which this article proves to be true.

"They don't give a rat's ass about the general public, they only care about putting up a facade of "doing something"........even if that something is WRONG or Illegal......they don't care."
*************************************************************************************************************

Here's the line in the article:

"The shootings "make it more urgent to do something," said Public Safety Secretary Mary Beth Heffernan. "It's gotten to the point where it's just epidemic really."

Here's your proof folks.........

These people are unfit to hold any position in government..........they are clueless and incompetent and they are costing YOU your liberty.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shootings "make it more urgent to do something," said Public Safety Secretary Mary Beth Heffernan. "It's gotten to the point where it's just epidemic really."

That's all you need to know. They're just "doing something."

Doesn't matter if it works or not, this is just them shining a big ol' turd, while they ignore the problem of broken homes, no economic possibilities in affected areas and lax sentencing of offenders.

The comments were for the most part another wasted piece of legislation and election year politics.
Perhaps the people that read the GLOB are catching on!

That's all you need to know. They're just "doing something."

Doesn't matter if it works or not, this is just them shining a big ol' turd, while they ignore the problem of broken homes, no economic possibilities in affected areas and lax sentencing of offenders.

but dealing with those other things is hard!

/sarc

I'm donating to the opponent of any legislator that votes for this POS.

Edit: And sending them a copy of the check.

now we going into Round TWO...ding-ding-ding[grin].....dems are not stupid,its election year and they have to be very careful ....this bill will not pass
I wish I shared your optimism. It is interesting that the Democrats haven't just rubber stamped this bill because that's what Deval wants.
Best regards.

now we going into Round TWO...ding-ding-ding[grin].....dems are not stupid,its election year and they have to be very careful ....this bill will not pass

That could be part of the reason; although I have to wonder that living in such a liberal/anti-gun state if voting in favor of the bill would result in voter backlash.

Other factors to consider... two of the most hardcore gun grabbers are no longer in the legislature (Jaques and Barrios, and I believe one of the two chaired the Senate judiciary committee ).

If we could unload some of the other dead weight (Linsky, Cream, Balzar, etc), our odds would be even better.

The McDonald decision is due to be announced in 3 weeks (keep your fingers crossed). It's doubtful that the court will go much beyond the arguments presented in the case (no state gun control laws are going to be affected overnight).

Even though the legislature is heavily Dem controlled, Patrick doesn't have the sway and/or power over them that many would expect. Our legislature has a bit of history of not just simply granting what the Governor wishes,

Finally... there are actually some lawmakers that see this bill for the useless, feel good nonsense that it is.

I'm still holding my breath though. We're far from being out of the woods just yet.

What should be stated is this: Straw purchases are already on the fed and state books as a felony, IIRC. Enforce that law. No need to create new ones.

Plus, restricting gun sales to one a month will increase violent crime as John Lott pointed out in More Guns, Less Crime. So if the stated goal is to reduce violent crime in Boston, the proper public policy would be to lessen the burden for people to become licensed gun owners.

"We have to do something". Oh, that old chestnut. If you had to do something, you might as well do something that would help the situation. Not make it worse.

Alas, making it worse should be their priority. If things were going swimmingly, then there's no need for them to further usurp our freedoms. Its one big negative feedback loop.

"Almost 2,000 illegal guns were recovered last year in the state, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The agency traced 1,084 of those weapons. Of that amount, about 36 percent originated in Massachusetts dealers and stores licensed to sell guns."

Can someone explain this to me...i guess i am new to this. They recovered 2K guns, half of them they could trace, and then 36% came from MA dealers? So that is 390 guns right?

When they say they 'originate' there does that mean they were legally bought and then given over to criminals? If that's the case why is no one going after those people? I suspect those are more likely stolen guns. You'd have to be an idiot to buy a gun legally at a gun store, with a serial number, and then sell it to someone else illegally.

Maybe i am just new at this...
Erich

"Almost 2,000 illegal guns were recovered last year in the state, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The agency traced 1,084 of those weapons. Of that amount, about 36 percent originated in Massachusetts dealers and stores licensed to sell guns."

Can someone explain this to me...i guess i am new to this. They recovered 2K guns, half of them they could trace, and then 36% came from MA dealers? So that is 390 guns right?

When they say they 'originate' there does that mean they were legally bought and then given over to criminals? If that's the case why is no one going after those people? I suspect those are more likely stolen guns. You'd have to be an idiot to buy a gun legally at a gun store, with a serial number, and then sell it to someone else illegally.

Erich

Originate means they were sold new here in MA. Not that they were transferred to criminals in MA nor where they in MA when they were stolen, etc. The time to crime on these guns is probably a decade or longer. The national avg is about 13 years time to crime.

Here is my email to Ms. Creem the bills founder.

Dear Ms. Creem,
As a lifelong Newton resident, disabled OIF Marine Combat Veteran, and licensed firearm owner it disheartens me to read about your proposed legislation to limit firearm purchases in the state of Massachusetts. This legislation discriminates against law-abiding firearm owners and their constitutional right to bear arms. The problem you fail to realize is that the criminals will always find a way to obtain firearms illegally. Criminals are not purchasing them from licensed dealers. Criminals are obtaining these weapons from illegal activity such as breaking and entering and robbery. This legislation will do nothing to stop the violence committed by immoral people with illegal agendas.

Here is my email to Ms. Creem the bills founder.

Dear Ms. Creem,
As a lifelong Newton resident, disabled OIF Marine Combat Veteran, and licensed firearm owner it disheartens me to read about your proposed legislation to limit firearm purchases in the state of Massachusetts. This legislation discriminates against law-abiding firearm owners and their constitutional right to bear arms. The problem you fail to realize is that the criminals will always find a way to obtain firearms illegally. Criminals are not purchasing them from licensed dealers. Criminals are obtaining these weapons from illegal activity such as breaking and entering and robbery. This legislation will do nothing to stop the violence committed by immoral people with illegal agendas.

I can't stress enough how important it is that people who live in the districts covered by the committee members above call in. Your calls are worth 10 of our calls. Thanks for doing this.

Erich

That's the killer right there.

As much as I despise the current gun control laws, the mechanisms are already in place to go after "straw purchasers" (at least the ones that do it in quantities. And I'm willing to bet that's very rare in this state).

Erich

And remember criminals can't register their guns. It could be used against them in court. In other words, if criminals were forced to register their guns, their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination would be put into jeopardy.

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but I understand the bill contains a provision that would ban all private sales. IMHO that is far worse than the one gun a month aspect. All sales of guns that are not on the AG's list would become illegal.

Last edited:
Didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but I understand the bill contains a provision that would ban all private sales. IMHO that is far worse than the one gun a month aspect. All sales of guns that are not on the AG's list would become illegal.

Funny how those FA-10s mysteriously disappeared a few weeks ago, huh?

Great... I get to call MY STATE SENATOR... Ms. Creem about this bill... yep, one gun per month limits in the former "Safest City in America" will really prevent crime in DOT...

I feel like Heller in D.C. before the D.C. vs. Heller case.

They don't even give you the credentials of "James Alan Fox". Not even a silly Public Health degree from a safety school?

Google is your friend:

In addition to what's in his resume at the URL below, he is the co-author of the Bartley-Fox Law (1 yr min/mandatory for possession of firearms w/o a license).

http://www.jfox.neu.edu/pdfs/JAFresume.pdf - read this on an empty stomach or you'll puke up a good meal.

http://www.cj.neu.edu/faculty_and_staff/research_faculty/james_alan_fox/

http://www.jfox.neu.edu/

I think that he is as anti or perhaps more so than Sarah Brady!

Back
Top Bottom