• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston.Com Article Gun applications up

Last edited:
There are several NES'ers who have commented already - one of 'em even gave us a shout out! My screen name there is different - had it long before I had VK - but we are out in force.

Great grab and great news!

The number of gun permits issued in Massachusetts surged by more than 15 percent over the past two years, reversing nearly a decade of steady declines and marking a pronounced departure for a state known for its antigun sentiment.....

The increase in Class A permits - the largest and broadest category of gun license - amounted to a jump of more than 28,000 statewide to about 224,000 as of last month, according to data provided by the state Executive Office of Public Safety and Security.

Boston was up 18 percent, Cambridge 25 percent, Somerville 26 percent, according to the article.

Last edited:
Good article and, as usual, the common sense outweighs the idiocy in the comments section. Good job to all who are participating.

My local PD requires an applicant to state in writing, why he or she wants an LTC. I responded with "I am appying for a License to Carry Firearms because a License to Carry Firearms is requied to carry firearms in Massachusetts."

[laugh]

I just posted in the comments to the article that one should not "opine and declaim" about subjects that one is ignorant of.....that, before they hate it, they should try it!

So......when the hordes of Antis arrive, ready to be educated, let's all be friendly.....and the next time you go to the range....Bring a Friend.....perferably one that's a non-shooter!

They got the important part right:

I never saw any firearm commit a crime, it was always a person......they are still "stuck on stupid" and avoiding the issue.

The issue is responsibilty, not guns.
Why won't one chief just stand up and proclaim the truth of the matter in public?

The best damn thing you can to is to get a couple of people per year to take a class and get their license. I have a personal goal of 5 people per year and have helped over 50 MA residents get their permits over the past decade

Why won't one chief just stand up and proclaim the truth of the matter in public?

Actually, some have. When Deval was pushing the "one gun a month limit", the Metrowest Daily News asked the Framingham and Ashland PD's for comments. The spokesman for the Framingham PD stated that legal gun owners were not a problem for the department, and the Ashland chief expressed concern that one gun a month would cause hardship for persons who are into the "art of shooting" (his term).

The best damn thing you can to is to get a couple of people per year to take a class and get their license. I have a personal goal of 5 people per year and have helped over 50 MA residents get their permits over the past decade
That's the way to do it, I think. I try to take someone new to the range each month.

It's great to hear some good news about MA gun owners since so many here are so negative. We don't have to hit home runs, we have to hit singles: and walks work too.

Nice piece overall as others stated, the comments are hilarious. Love the guy who says we should all disarm and just let law enforcement handle everything.

Law enforcement officials said that, while the sharp increase in permits is unexpected, it does not portend any increase in gun violence.

“We’re concerned about criminals with guns, not law-abiding citizens,’’ said John A. Grossman, undersecretary of forensic science and technology for the state Office of Public Safety and Security. “It’s the illegal gun trafficking we’re really focused on.’’

Police chiefs and district attorneys echoed that, saying they see few crimes committed with legally licensed firearms.

What is wrong with these so-called State "experts"? They are sick, they are demended, they need to have their heads checked. They can't be right, I'll never believe it! Its disgusting, egregious, outrageous, pretentious, lude, lavacious, salacious! Why, I was raised in a house where Mom said only criminals had guns, therefore, that means there is a 20% increase in criminals!. More guns = more bloodshed. Unbelievable.

“How many gun deaths are really attributable to law-abiding citizens?’’ asked Nancy Robinson, of Citizens for Safety, a Boston coalition fighting gun trafficking. “The problem is the guns that wind up in the hands of young kids, gang leaders, and criminals.’’

Somebody needs to brand a scarlet letter A on this lady for comitting such a heretical crime. How can a self-described "coalition fighting gun trafficking" utter such blasphemy in clear violation of the orthodoxy from Mumbles & Co.? I mean, why, just this year alone in Boston there were 3 gun suicides and 1 road range incident! I mean, how can they say this is not a major epidemic??

Last edited:
I am glad to see the demographics changing. Probably lends more credability in the minds of the MA Sheeples. Are they really going to argue with Grandma wanting to protect herself? Plus, I'm glad to see more women carrying. Hopefully they can neuter some scumbags who hurt women.

What is wrong with these so-called State "experts"? They are sick, they are demended, they need to have their heads checked. They can't be right, I'll never believe it! Its disgusting, egregious, outrageous, pretentious, lude, lavacious, salacious! Why, I was raised in a house where Mom said only criminals had guns, therefore, that means there is a 20% increase in criminals!. More guns = more bloodshed. Unbelievable.

Somebody needs to brand a scarlet letter A on this lady for comitting such a heretical crime. How can a self-described "coalition fighting gun trafficking" utter such blasphemy in clear violation of the orthodoxy from Mumbles & Co.? I mean, why, just this year alone in Boston there were 3 gun suicides and 1 road range incident! I mean, how can they say this is not a major epidemic??

Yes, but this is the best attitude in the media I've heard on guns in this state for a while. Christ, my own mother thought I was a gun nut because I actually carry. Just an example of the Sheeples. IMHO

A similar article a couple years back talking about the dramatic decrease in licensed gun owners since 1998 (and Menino's comments about it) were my primary motivation in getting my instructor's ticket.

Spread the word: guns are good, clean fun!

I think the more guns, the more gun violence,’’ said John Rosenthal, founder of Stop Handgun Violence, which led the push for the state’s groundbreaking Gun Control Act of 1998, widely seen as the nation’s most comprehensive gun legislation.

I think? I THINK? I THINK? I THINK?

How about using some G*d-damned facts you pompous ignoramus. Try reading a book (e.g. "More Guns, Less Crime" - John Lott).

The facts are incontrovertibly clear. More guns in the hands of law-abiding, peaceable people is the best deterrent to violence and crime in general.

While we're on the topic of the Globe, look who they named one of their "Bostonians of the Year":

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2009/12/20/the_responder/

Unfortunately they keep referring to him as a cop (or some variant) and don't make the distinction that he a) isn't one and b) was only a citizen in that circumstance even if you buy the special powers thing. Additionally, they actually mentioned he flashed "his badge" when he broke into the room and hadn't pulled his gun yet. The latter of which is fine, the former was clearly verboten. He was not in the projects working for the city. So he had zero authorization to use that badge.

Saw that. Great article. Too bad there's so much emphasis on the fact that the hero is a "Super-Duper Special Police Officer Guard."

Even the title is misleading. They call him a "responder". That can't be a misleading tie in to "first responder" which has a specific meaning in "today's post 911 world", now can it???? [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom