books for a hunting noob

I need reccomendations for hunting books. hunting is kinda hard to get into when you don't know anyone who hunts.I need a book that can function as that uncle who owns the farm and takes you hunting every winter,know what I mean? Primarily hunting for squirrels and rabbits,as that all a .22 lr is really good for.

Are you looking for stories or "how-to" stuff? Head to the book store and cruise through the magazines - ones like Upland Dog & Gray's Sorting Journal will have ads for book sellers.

Go to used book stores and look for the "Complete Guide To..." etc - even if they are old, the deer haven't changed much just the tools used to hunt them.

Once you're bored, go sit in the woods and watch for an hour or two. Understanding general behavior and patterning habits of specific animals will help you be successful - the thing is to focus on one type of animal then move on to the next - squirrels then deer for instance.

Tom Brown has a few good books about nature observation, which is kinda the same thing as hunting. I find the best books about hunting are either nature observation books about tracking and observing animals, or college biology and wildlife management books.

Knowing the behavior of an animal and what they eat throughout the season will give you a great edge in the field. However, nothing beats getting out into the woods.

The more time in the woods the better your understanding of it is going to be.

<snip> Primarily hunting for squirrels and rabbits,as that all a .22 lr is really good for.

Take a walk into the woods, picking up a pocketfull of small stones as you go, Find a stand of Oak trees. Sit in the middle with your back to a big tree.

Every couple of minutes flick a stone out a couple of feet. (it sounds like acorns falling) Listen for the squirrrels, they'll either be barking at each other in the trees of you'll hear the leaves rustling as they come in to find the "acorns" dropping from the trees. (Works on deer too - sometimes.)

Call 'em in with a squeaker works sometimes too.

Take them with head shots if you want the meat, Otherwise Mepps will pay you for the tails.

If you shoot up at a squirrel be sure the bullet goes into the tree, so pass on the squirrels on branches, wait till they're on the trunk of the tree.

With rabbits, I've had no luck, but I've seen tons of tracks around stone walls in the woods when after a light snow when I've been out after deer. Best to buddy up with someone with dog for the bunnies.

Happy hunting.

If you are not experienced in dressing and preparing wild game, be sure to pick up a good instructional book before you need it. One good one is "The Complete Hunter, Dressing and Cooking Wild Game". It covers everything from squirrels and rabbits to elk and bear, as well as all the popular birds. It will take you through field dressing and butchering as well as a lot of great recipes.

You know, I've been reading about how good grey squirrel tastes (not surprising considering what they eat- anything like wood duck?). Considering this year will be my first hunting deer with a shotgun in MA, I need to do some scouting. What better way to scout for deer than to spend some time in the woods hunting squirrels- the season opens well before deer season. My gun club is in Zone 9 (allowing a .22) and has over 200 acres to wander about.

Back
Top Bottom