BOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
There just seemed to be a lot of redundant stuff in there. A couple whistles here, and then more in this Walmart kit. That's one of many examples.

And what about condoms??? No unwanted pregnancies in an end of the world scenario. Look at the strain it put on Rick and Lori's marriage!

Seriously, that just seemed to be a haphazard grouping of shit, and felt more like a "look at me and how cool I am because I have this stuff" kind of video.

Now....I'm not saying that we should have an NES Death Match Survival Campout, to see if you can use folders on peope with campfires, but if you think that your BOB will allow you to thrive for 72 hours off-grid, then test it.

We have a storm coming, maybe.....make it GO TIME! The Zombiepocalypse may not start on a nice day.

[laugh]

Death Match it is then, challenge accepted [smile]

Last one alive gets to live [laugh]

There just seemed to be a lot of redundant stuff in there. A couple whistles here, and then more in this Walmart kit. That's one of many examples.

And what about condoms??? No unwanted pregnancies in an end of the world scenario. Look at the strain it put on Rick and Lori's marriage!

Seriously, that just seemed to be a haphazard grouping of shit, and felt more like a "look at me and how cool I am because I have this stuff" kind of video.

You nailed it with the "whistles" comment. The only whistle you really need with that setup is a rape whistle. 'Cause a rape whistle is going to be the only piece of "kit" you end up using repeatedly if you're running around with that BOB.

Why would you guys slam the OP instead of being a little constructive? He's trying, and left a little room for improvement. Now, if you don't have anything helpull or nice to say...

Why would you guys slam the OP instead of being a little constructive? He's trying, and left a little room for improvement. Now, if you don't have anything helpull or nice to say...

Now, if you don't have anything helpull or nice to say... say it LOUDER!!!

Welcome to NES Frenchman...

BOB's need to start with a pocket knife and a lighter. You can overnight pretty comfortably with just those two items in any season.

Relax francis

BOB's need to start with a pocket knife and a lighter. You can overnight pretty comfortably with just those two items in any season.

and a bottle of bourbon

[rofl]

I like the thought behind the BOB, but it seems like there's some redundancy you can cut out to save weight. I haven't put a bag together yet, but it's good to see how other people think. I would think, light, mobile and efficient would be what you want to achieve here.

Some thoughts: lose the water tablets and get a good filter - I use an msr sweetwater; instead of a nalgene bottle add a 2L camelbak and platypus folding 1L bottle - saves space and now you have more water; a cup is a good idea; hatchet, machete or saw, not all three. Why carry the weight?; take one first aid kit that is a hybrid of both; instead of cliff bars invest in some freeze dried food - high calorie and might sustain you better; someone said fishing line and lures - not a bad idea; as for fire starting, I carry stormproof matches, a lighter, flint and steel and trioxane, which takes up a lot less space and still achieves the same goal; What about nav? Maybe Add a compass and a few maps of the surrounding region.

If you were going to hump that kind of weight, I think you might be served better by a full camping pack. You could maintain some creature comforts like a minimalist tent and sleeping bag as well as enough tools and food to survive (maybe a bit better) for a few days.

The only way to find out if your kit works well for you is to field test it. I think it's the best way to find out what works and what is just just making you tired because you're humping around extra stuff. Been there. I've spent a lot of time refining my backpacking kit - adding some things while taking out useless gear, extra redundancy and most of all, weight.

Im not an expert and that's just my two cents for what it's worth. I like the vid and the though process behind it. We should all be thinking about how we might survive if we had to bug out.

Also... Add bourbon.

Last edited:
It's easy: the more weight you carry, the more limited you will be in your mobility, but also, the more comfortable you will be.

You only need one way to start fire. Just carry a lighter.

This talk about matches, lighters, cotton balls, steel wool, napalm, etc is ridiculous. Pick one.

This talk about matches, lighters, cotton balls, steel wool, napalm, etc is ridiculous. Pick one.

For most applications, or if you've never been camping in your life, absolutely. If it's really a bad sitch bag, carry a firesteel and tinder, and have practiced making more tinder. Better for the long term.

For most applications, or if you've never been camping in your life, absolutely. If it's really a bad sitch bag, carry a firesteel and tinder, and have practiced making more tinder. Better for the long term.

I camp and backpack a lot. I carry a lighter. This is not the 1800s and if you think a frontiersman wouldn't have killed you for a Bic lighter over firebows or fire steel I think you're delusional.

I camp and backpack a lot. I carry a lighter. This is not the 1800s and if you think a frontiersman wouldn't have killed you for a Bic lighter over firebows or fire steel I think you're delusional.

Maybe. But he'd have been quite disappointed later that day when it ran out of fluid. If you don't know how long you'd be stuck in the woods, and you choose lighter over something that

-lasts much, much longer,
-is more reliable in the rain, and
-is less likely to break,

then I'd say I'm not the delusional one. And anyway, the post wasn't implying that you have a lack of camping skills. I keep lighters in my family's car bags, cause I don't expect them to get wise on other methods anytime soon.

I think some redundancy is ok. I carry 3 tools for fire starting because if one fails (runs out of fluid) or gets dropped or lost, you've got a backup. This is pretty light weight stuff, so having a couple options isn't always a bad thing. But a hatchet, machete and saw - that's not good weight to carry. Especially if you need to be moving quickly. Test them all, pick the one that works best and leave the others behind.

I didn't watch the video, but I've been contemplating putting a bag together to keep in the jeep. It sounds like from the comments you put a toy store in a back pack. I suppose you can always dump the unneccesary when it comes down to it.

My camping is pretty limited to my various misadventures as a grunt. But I would probably want the following:
1. At least 5 liters of water
2. Iodine tablets
3. Basic first aid kit with dressings, duck tape, neosporin and a cat turniquate
4. Headlight (cheap energizer ones have served me well)
5. Baby whipes
6. Extra pair of socks
7. Calorie dense energy bars ( I was taught that wrapping them individually with duck tape keeps the critters out and slows the end user from devouring them out of boredom, and you have extra duck tape) and stripped MREs
8. A lighter
9. Waterproof/warming layers/tarp
10. Bug spray
11. Maps

All other stuff is optional, though if its gonna be in the jeep there will be plenty of other crap. I'd also change the load with the seasons. Bear in mind that you can have an urban survival kit. I live in the woods and Ill be avoiding them if at all possible.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
We're talking about a bob, not a live in the woods indefinitely bag.

Right, because the next time you "bug out", you'll know exactly when you'll be back to the comforts of civilization? Apparently I'm not grasping the concept of pretending to bug out.

Right, because the next time you "bug out", you'll know exactly when you'll be back to the comforts of civilization? Apparently I'm not grasping the concept of pretending to bug out.

Bugging out without an intended destination is a slow suicide.

If you want to plan for everything, bring a harpoon gun and some welding rod.

Bugging out without an intended destination is a slow suicide.

If you want to plan for everything, bring a harpoon gun and some welding rod.

Right. Because I said a firesteel holds up better than a lighter, I'm planning for everything? You do understand that a firesteel weighs a few ounces? And the difference between having a single plan, or planning for some contingencies? I can't imagine that in a bad situation you might end up out longer than you had originally planned for...

[rolleyes]

Last edited:
This thread delivers...

UPS.jpg

I think we're mixing up terms here. A rush pack, go bag, 72 bag, bail out bag tend to refer to that grab and go kit you have in your truck, etc., when you have to hoof it quickly from one destination to another.

That said, I'll play. This whole get up, including the Glock 17, spare mag, and Delorme GPS weighs 16lbs. That's less than most of the survivalist wannabes are hauling around on their belts everyday when you take their primary concealed piece, BUG, mace, keys, cell phone, flash light, etc., etc.

bob1.jpg

So what's is it / what's in it?

bob2.jpg

Osprey 10 cycling hydration pack.
3 liter Nalgene Camel

1- winter hat
1- pair lightweight gloves
1 UnderArmour lvl 2 pants
1-UnderArmour lvl 2 shirt
1- lightweight cotton socks
1- heavy weight wool socks

All clothing items are packed in a water resistant stuff sack

1- SOL Escape Bivvy. I've tested them in every variety of weather. Only drawback is they rip after a few days.
1- SOL Emergency Space blanket. Lightweight rain shelter
1- 50 ft paracord with carabiner. No, you're not going to be abseiling with it with a knife clenched in your teeth, but it does make it easier to string up a shelter, hang a bear bag.
1- small emergency first aid kid
1- Ace bandage
1- pill bottle containing Ibuprofen and Immodium. Pop the Immodium before hoofing it.
1- Aqua Potable water purification tablets
1- Aqua Potable iodine neutralizer
1- "Fire Kit" containing a Bic lighter, water proof matches, 1 Jetfire cube - I won't be making a fire unless it's a diversion, and that means a house or car.
1- 6 dehydrated wipes.
3 - BPC dehydrated meals at 900 cals each. Not a lot, but if your bugging out you're going to moving and starving until you get where you're going.
1- Uncle Ben's Insect repellent - can be ditched this time of year.
1- compass
1- Delorme PN- 360 with 2 spare AA batteries.
1- Surefire flashlight. Again, you're dumb if you end up using this.

Best part is even though the pack is a subdued color, it's still just a cycling pack. That way I don't look like a "shoot me first" caricature who fell out of the classified section of Soldier of Fortune magazine.

Looks like a nice setup, Timber. Do those dehydrated meals work fine with cold water? Where do you get them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom