• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boats + Firearms does anyone know?

So what is the law exactly...are ALL firearms illegal on board a boat? If so...why is it on some pro fishing shows the crew sometimes carries a .22 riffle to finish off the fish rather than bludgeon it with a mallet. If not, what are the conditions? Only riffles and not hand guns...what calibers...Is this strictly a MA law? If so once at sea...where are the boundaries as far as law goes? Inquiring minds, mainly mine want to know... [grin]

So what is the law exactly...are ALL firearms illegal on board a boat? If so...why is it on some pro fishing shows the crew sometimes carries a .22 riffle to finish off the fish rather than bludgeon it with a mallet. If not, what are the conditions? Only riffles and not hand guns...what calibers...Is this strictly a MA law? If so once at sea...where are the boundaries as far as law goes? Inquiring minds, mainly mine want to know... [grin]

I would think as long as you are in state controlled waters, that state's laws will apply. I am not sure the exact mileage for that though.

I do know if you ever get boarded by the Coast Guard, one of the first things they will ask is if there are any weapons/guns on board, so be prepared for that.

great question! I have no idea,I believe state waters is coastal to 3mi. out & Fed out to12Mi. but don't quote me on this. I do Know alot of commercial guys w/shotguns onboard.

great question! I have no idea,I believe state waters is coastal to 3mi. out & Fed out to12Mi. but don't quote me on this. I do Know alot of commercial guys w/shotguns onboard.

I am going to guess (nevermind) miles. A total whim but thats what I seem to recall. Working for a harbormaster dept, I should know this.[thinking]

looking it up now, it looks like glostamon is right, 3 miles for the state

Last edited:
Yea,I'm going by stripped bass info for distances, I fish rod & reel commercially. Ma.state waters inwhich stippers can be in your possesion is three mi.
No Bass fishing or strippers can be in your possesion in Federal waters.(past 3MI.) Thats all I've got to go on

Hollewud7. If I'm not wrong the state does't allow (I'm not sure if it's firearms or concealed weapons) on recreational vehicles. Does anyone know which it is? If it's firearms that would make it a crime if one were to have a gun in state waters.

Yea,I'm going by stripped bass info for distances, I fish rod & reel commercially. Ma.state waters inwhich stippers can be in your possesion is three mi.
No Bass fishing or strippers can be in your possesion in Federal waters.(past 3MI.) Thats all I've got to go on

I think you are right. Striped bass - 28 inches.... see I know some stuff. haha

Hollewud7. If I'm not wrong the state does't allow (I'm not sure if it's firearms or concealed weapons) on recreational vehicles. Does anyone know which it is? If it's firearms that would make it a crime if one were to have a gun in state waters.

I have never heard anything like this. The only thing I can think of is hunting regulations that would prohibit you from carrying while engaged in hunting.

edit: Hey, that was my 1,000 post!!

Federal is to the lines of demarcation, which vary distance wise. I know that in NH you may carry on the water legally, though obviously your talking about Mass.

From a Coast Guard BO's perspective. If stopped within 3 miles. by locals. MA laws must be adhered to. If stopped anywhere by Coast Guard a few things can happen. If within 3 miles he/she can call in locals. (probably only going to happen if your a jerk) other than that we don't care and actually run across guns very often. We will make the weapon safe while conducting the boarding. When asked, don't lie and don't reach for it. Like I said. We really don't care if you are armed as long as your not a prohibited person.

Also. Don't just measure 3 miles off the nearest point of land and think your good. There are parts of MA Bay and islands where you can be 8-10 miles from land but be within the demarcation boundaries. PM me with any Federal questions you may have or direct my attention back to this thread.

Chears

I spoke to my fisherman friend this morning.He has a Ma. FID.He purchased a "Marinized" Moss 500 @ Dick's s/g's based on the clerks advise, it is apharently corrossion resistent.Everything marine costs more!He keeps it in the wheel house loaded w/00buck.He said he's not worried about Somali pirates,but more like an irate Mako hualed back in a gill net.(as seen it the"Perfect Storm"......Gloucester there always from Gloucester!) He is boarded by the Coast Guard on a regular basis "routine inspections/search & seizures",as are most commercial fishing vessels.Although he is not fond of Coastie's interfering w/ as he says "Honest hard working,law abbiding Americans putting food on America's & the world tables",he personally has never had & any problem and respects their work,especially the search & rescue aspect.While being boarded only once did he have to produce his FID(by a young coastie(shaver) he thought was 18-19yrs old). Sorry to be long winded, but in a nutshell as long as your licenced in MA,dont expect any FED.problems..asuming you are not breaking FED.laws

Last edited:
Seems I've been duck hunting in a boat a few times. Seemed pretty legal to me. Warden didn't mind us having shotguns, and never asked if we had any "evil" pistols or other guns.

I would repost this question over in the Mass Gun Laws forum. There are some ace guys there that can quote MA's insane tangle of laws chapter & verse.

Find a Commercial Lobsterboat and 9 times out of 10 there will be a gun on board. As for carrying and having guns on boats, I haven't been on a boat in years that there hasn't been a gun on the boat. Whether my carry, a friend's carry or a rifle on board. I know of no law that states you cannot.

I've personally seen boats that were equipped with blinds go into the marsh with bird hunters on them. At first people called the local police on them, then the environmental police as this was close to the city and gun shots make people nervous. They were licensed hunters and were far enough away from the houses and the roads. They were left alone to hunt birds. Unfortunately they scared away the swans and cranes too.

Rumor has always been there is an old law stating a lobsterman can shoot at people who steal from their traps. I can't find the actual reference so I'm not sure if it is an old blue law but I think all the old school lobstermen believe it to be true. I've never seen the lobster wars go that far though and I've always respected the commercial lobstermen's traps.

I've seen people get boarded by the Environmental Police with weapons on board and they just make it safe for them and do their business. They are more concerned whether you are taking illegal fish/lobsters then the gun.

I've also been present when guns have been fired out on the water. Coast Guard, EP nor local Law Enforcement has ever showed up. As for the recreational vehicle. Who says a boat is a Recreational vehicle?

I'd be very upset if there were laws that state it is illegal to have a gun on a boat. As boating is one of the last places that you feel free from all the crap as long as you follow a few common sense rules and don't take illegal fish. That will all change with the federally mandated ocean fishing permits that are coming.

Back
Top Bottom