Block Island striper trip

Had a heck of a time yesterday with Captain Neal Vitullo of Played for It charters. http://www.saladrecords.com/playedforit/index.htm

We fished the waters of Block Island. We caught so many fish it was crazy. We left Narragansett/Point Judith RI at 6:15 am and were fishing around Block by 6:45. A nice smooth ride out on his 26 foot glacier bay catamaran even with 6-8 foot rollers on the way out. By 9:30 we had our limit of 10 fish in the box. All quality fish. The two I put in were 35 and 42 pounds for example. We continued to fish till 1:30 landing numerous 30 top 40 pound fish and releasing them looking for that elusive 50 pounders. We did hook up on two fish that could not be moved and broke us off in the rocks. We caught over 30 fish for the day. This was our second trip with Neal and it certainly will not be our last.

The fishing machine

P7190010.jpg

The bounty

P7190006.jpg

Me with 35 and 42 pounders

P7190007.jpg

Dad 25 pounder

P7190008.jpg

Gotta love charter fishing.

I went about a month ago with some guys from work. We caught our limit within 2 hours.

I love surfcasting too though. You usually can't catch the quantity and size of being on a boat, but shore-dwelling is more peaceful I think. I have an off-road sticker for a few of the Cape beaches. There's nothing like sitting in the sand next to the bonfire watching the glow-in-the-dark rod tip, backdropped by the stars and just waiting for it to tick.

Last Sunday night I was at Sandy Neck and got very excited when I saw my rod (baited with squid) bend a little.

Set it, reeled it in...

A friggin' Skate. [frown]

Back
Top Bottom