• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This year's snow shoe hare trip coming up quick!

whacko

NES Member
All booked for 2 days up in Maine with pine Grove lodge again. This will make our 4th year in a row.

This year my brother will be coming along. He's never hunted but shoots trap and clays. Maine.....actually wants people to try hunting! They have an apprentice licensing program. You can buy a small game apprentice license for the year for $75 for a non resident. Apprentice license allows you to hunt without taking the hunter Ed course as long as your in direct control of a "supervisor".....which is defined as a person that is 18 or older that has had a hunting license for at lease 3 consecutive years. It's a fantastic program to get folks to try hunting before committing to a 40 hour course. I'll be his supervisor for his first hunting experience. Looking forward to this trip. Hope we get into some good covers......but with pine Grove lodge we have never been skunked on a trip.....always come home with a few rabbits. Hope my brother gets at least one.

All cleaned up and ready for the hunt next week. By the way.....those jumbo sized q tips are awesome for cleaning out the chamber.....and the receiver area of a long gun. Tractor supply sells em. The pack comes with 6 different sizes from regular q tip to the jumbo ones the size of a shotgun chamber/receiver. They are made of wood thats rigid enough to let you really clean well. The cotton is very dense too so it doesn't get all shredded like a regular q tip. Highly recommended.

20200208_200843.jpg

We got skunked for the first time ever! No big deal still had a blast.

My brother had fun anyway. The beagles could only jump rabbits for very short runs and it made it tough to get in front of em to cut off the rabbits. We worked hard ......worked up a sweat all day trying to get in front but seemed every time we got to what we thought was a good cutoff point the dogs lost the rabbit or we got there just after the rabbit went through and we just cought the tale end of the beagles going by. Is what it is. Had a great time.

Better than working bro! I know when Im bird or rabbit hunting half the fun just watching the dogs run and going on the chase.
Get em next year.

We got skunked for the first time ever! No big deal still had a blast.

My brother had fun anyway. The beagles could only jump rabbits for very short runs and it made it tough to get in front of em to cut off the rabbits. We worked hard ......worked up a sweat all day trying to get in front but seemed every time we got to what we thought was a good cutoff point the dogs lost the rabbit or we got there just after the rabbit went through and we just cought the tale end of the beagles going by. Is what it is. Had a great time.

Hunting with friends and family is always a treat. The game is just a bonus IMO as well.I'm glad that you had a good trip.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom