• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Blind hunting

I have one of those ameristep chair blinds. Was thinking bout setting it up for shotgun /muzzle . Never really used it before, but it seems like a good way to stay dry and maybe a bit warmer in bad weather. I always use my hang on stands and my climber mostly cause it has the gun rail. There is some powerlines that run through the property I hunt.. Thought maybe along the edge somewhere looking out to the open swing as it only has one window.. And one have any experience or advise with these.. Or other blinds? Also thought it might be a good idea to waterproof it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

i've hunted deer from a ground blind before, and i swear deer know your there. You lose both vision and audio on your deer until they are on top of you. they just seem to appear out of nowhere and even though your in that blind and they cant see you, they know something is wrong. then after you take a shot, good luck trying to figure out which way the animal runs. stay in the treestand.

I have had ok success with same blind you have. There are trade-offs, your scent stays on the ground versus a treestand but one will be drier and warmer in inclimate weather. Be sure to try setting it up and tearing it down beforehand; once you get the idea it becomes easier to tear down. One issue in cold weather is the blind "sweats" up and then freezes on the inside, making the tear down interesting. I use it in places where deer approach from a distance. If you use the ones with a zip down back, make sure you do not skyline yourself (keep back zipped up). Overall, it's another tool in the arsenal and works.

Speaking of "BLINDS".

Did you hear about the Priest, Minister and Rabi golfing? While playing they heard some one yell "FOUR". They didn't see anyone and heard "FOUR" again. They soon saw this blind golfer coming. The Minister told the other two in his group that he was going to give a sermon about helping handicapped people. The Rabi said that he would do the same. Then the Priest told the other two that the club should make the blind golfers play at night. [smile]

there are pros and cons to hunting in a blind.

Pros:
Protected from the elements, easier to get in and out of, more freedom of movement, generally more comfortable.

Cons:
Visibility is not as good, they are more easily noticed by wildlife, limited to looking through windows versus having a full field of view.

I personally prefer a ground blind over a tree stand for a few reasons. I have a blind setup on private property with permission and I leave a lot of my gear in it. I have a comfy camping chair, a small bucket toilet, fleece blanket, and seat cushion. When I go out hunting all I need is my bow, small hunting pack, and a few snacks. I don't ever have to leave the blind. You sacrifice visibility for comfort. Its big enough for me and my son to fit in easily. Much safer taking him with me when we dont have to climb a tree at 4am in the freezing cold.

Speaking of "BLINDS".

Did you hear about the Priest, Minister and Rabi golfing? While playing they heard some one yell "FOUR". They didn't see anyone and heard "FOUR" again. They soon saw this blind golfer coming. The Minister told the other two in his group that he was going to give a sermon about helping handicapped people. The Rabi said that he would do the same. Then the Priest told the other two that the club should make the blind golfers play at night. [smile]
Or the one a bout the blind guy that walks into a store with his guide dog and starts swinging the dog around his head. The sales staff starts freaking out and ask him what the F he's doing, and he says "Just looking around".

Thread resurrection....

any recommendations for a reasonably priced chair.. Right now I'm using a $10 packable tripod seat in a blind.

background info.. we go up to VT on Friday.. set up our blinds/locations.. then return early Sat AM opening day till about Wed or Thursday.

Honestly.. I think it's more to male-bond and get away from our families than for hunting, but would be nice to come home with some venison and a nice mount.

I am not much of a sitter but if I have a spot that's worth sitting I will stash a Walmart bag chair. You would probably see more deer especially in VT if you stay on the move.

Thread resurrection....

any recommendations for a reasonably priced chair.. Right now I'm using a $10 packable tripod seat in a blind.

How much do you want to spend and what sort of weight are you willing to tolerate?

I used one of those tripod chairs all through shotgun and muzzle stuffer season last year. It killed my lower back. It would take me three or four days to recover after sitting in it for just a few hours. I was quickly reminded of that after goose hunting a few weeks ago.

So I splurged on one of these.

I’ll bring it out to my blind and leave it for the entire season. I was going to use a cheapo camp chair but they make a ton of noise. This thing swivels silently and doesn’t freak when moving.

Hope that helps

How much do you want to spend and what sort of weight are you willing to tolerate?

I used one of those tripod chairs all through shotgun and muzzle stuffer season last year. It killed my lower back. It would take me three or four days to recover after sitting in it for just a few hours. I was quickly reminded of that after goose hunting a few weeks ago.

So I splurged on one of these.

I’ll bring it out to my blind and leave it for the entire season. I was going to use a cheapo camp chair but they make a ton of noise. This thing swivels silently and doesn’t freak when moving.

Hope that helps
even better. I can use points and get it for free. :)

I prefer being in my tree stand but the 3 times I’ve hunted from a blind have lead to 3 deer in the freezer. They are great for taking a first time hunter. Also great for bad weather obviously and in wide open country hunting over water.

I need back support so I ended up springing for a Waldron PAC Seat. It is spendy but it has good back support and it’s pretty versatile.

The Waldrop PacSeat - Less time hanging stands. More time hunting.

I thought I'd take a few pics of my blinds (I call them huts). When I had my neighbor over here a couple of years ago with his portable sawmill to cut my hemlock logs into timbers, I had a ton of slabs laying around. Climbing up into my ladder tree stand was getting old, so I made 3 huts. I've got them scattered about the property on either side of the brook. I've shot a deer out of every one of them.
20231114_132647.jpg 20231114_132916.jpg 20231114_134045.jpg 20231114_132612.jpg

Love being out of the rain. Take a nap. Read a book. Move around a little bit and not worry about a deer seeing me.

I thought I'd take a few pics of my blinds (I call them huts). When I had my neighbor over here a couple of years ago with his portable sawmill to cut my hemlock logs into timbers, I had a ton of slabs laying around. Climbing up into my ladder tree stand was getting old, so I made 3 huts. I've got them scattered about the property on either side of the brook. I've shot a deer out of every one of them.
View attachment 816827View attachment 816828View attachment 816829View attachment 816830

Love being out of the rain. Take a nap. Read a book. Move around a little bit and not worry about a deer seeing me.
Freakin love that!

Back
Top Bottom