• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Blank guns

Did a quick search but I am stuck on my phone so nothing look promising but....
What is the mass log on blank only guns? A friend wants to use one to start a 5K road race and I said I would look into it for her.

I doubt it but would it be legal at all to use blanks in real gun in the open like that? I was thinking a 22 pistol and some of those 22 nail gun blanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Is there a mgl difference between a stater pistol and a blank firing replica? If I can use this as an excuse to get something interesting... just saw a blank only 1911 for $150

Nevermind just scan through the thread unless they changed something in the recent set of bills it looks like it doesn't make much difference one way or the other and even the starter pistol we need a LTC

These days probably better off just using a marine horn. Pull out a starter pistol and someone will call the fuzz.

71drhwrO36L._SL1500_.jpg

Competition that determines winners by their ability is no longer in style. Just let the people start and finish on their own schedule and give everybody a T-shirt.

Competition that determines winners by their ability is no longer in style. Just let the people start and finish on their own schedule and give everybody a T-shirt.
Interweb winner of the day [rofl]

I have a starter pistol that could never be used to fire a real round. it takes these real short 22 size caps that are loaded in horizontally. There is no barrel just a wide open rectangular tunnel.

Are starter rounds made to be extra smoky so that the timers can see them before they hear them? Or is any typical blank going to be smoky enough?

I remember my track coach just carrying these around in his gym bag, but that was 30+ years ago.

Did a quick search but I am stuck on my phone so nothing look promising but....
What is the mass log on blank only guns? A friend wants to use one to start a 5K road race and I said I would look into it for her.

Tell her not to get an 8mm blank pistol.... if she shoots off an 8mm half the runners will shit their pants... [rofl] It's that much louder than the little .22 half-revolvers that are typically used.

The first time I fired an 8mm I was glad I had earpro, it's as loud as a moderately powered centerfire cartridge.

-Mike

modern starter pistols only have a half cylinder, for 22 short blanks, and no barrel

0000000559.jpg

.22 is commonly used for indoor track. (Many timers will generically use .22 for other races too) Outdoor track is typically started with a .32 starter's pistol, which uses a .32 S&W black powder blank round. [Accurate hand timing is almost impossible outdoors with a .22, but is fairly easy off of a .32]

The half cylinder on a .22 starter's pistol is not a new concept. Some companies like H&R and NEF did that for a while. I believe some of the old Euro brands did that as well. Some brands are still full cylinder. Barrels are solid, typically there is a slot somewhere forward of the cylinder for visual signal.

Some companies also make starter's pistols that work on 209 primers. Those aren't commonly used for starting official/ competitive events (NFHS rules require a .22 or .32, IIRC or electronic starter, in HS track/ XC)

While we are on the subject of airhorns - will a telephone transmit enough volume to make an airhorn effective when dealing with telemarkerters?

While we are on the subject of airhorns - will a telephone transmit enough volume to make an airhorn effective when dealing with telemarkerters?

I had one next to my phone for ever. I would talk real soft and tell them I couldnt hear them well hoping they would crank their headset. Once they sounded like they could hear me I would blast them.

I had one next to my phone for ever. I would talk real soft and tell them I couldnt hear them well hoping they would crank their headset. Once they sounded like they could hear me I would blast them.

I guess you could keep a blank gun next to the phone too... start screaming about something getting out of the cage and start shooting...

Back
Top Bottom