blackpowder hunting in MA with rifle and pistol?

The kids are grown, and the last one is leaving this weekend for college. I finally found the time to take the NH hunters ed course, and will be getting back to the woods after a decades long absence. I would certainly prefer rifle hunting, but live in the People's Republic, so I am thinking I will go black powder. (Frankly, the substantial $ it would cost to hunt with a rifle out of state is too much just to relearn how to find deer this first year back.) To be honest, I don't like modern in-lines, so I will be using a .58 caliber 1853 3-band Enfield repro with 480 gr Minnie Ball over 60g of FF. (I know... the full charge is 70g, but I am using original style ACW Minnie, and they tend to blow off the thin skirts at 70g.) Can I carry a cap and ball pistol as well in MA? I know you can in other states, but this doesn't seem to addressed on the MassWildlife site. Jeff

Ah. I see that. It seems stupid that if you have a Class A LTC you are not able to carry it while you hunt, but then again this is the People's Republic, so how can I be surprised.

JR

I asked an EPO about hunting with a black powder handgun, because in the abstracts the statement about having to be shoulder fired is not there for using a muzzleloader during shotgun season. I was told no, but it would depend on which EPO you ran into in the woods. He told me it had to do with the Mass General Laws saying something about not hunting with a handgun in MASS. I did find it once but have not looked into it again. I really whish I could use a BP handgun in MASS.

This is what I have:
Kahanke.jpg

I was actually thinking along the lines of having a Colt Navy or something similar with which to administer a coup de grâce if necessary. At least a lot sooner than could be done by reloading a musket. Ah well... so long as Mumbles Menino is happy that no one has a handgun in the woods during hunting season, I guess the people of Boston, Roxbury, and Dorchester will be much safer as a result. (brain-dead-F*%@#$)

JR

Back
Top Bottom