• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black security guard killed by officer after restraining shooter.

Not sure the color of the skin mattered, or was lack of training by PO.

A Black Security Guard Was Killed By Police As He Tried To Stop A Shooting

A black security guard was shot dead by a police officer as he held down a suspect in a shooting at the bar where he worked.

Jemel Roberson, 26, was working early Sunday at Manny’s Blue Room ― a bar in the predominantly black Chicago suburb of Robbins, Illinois ― when a patron who was part of a drunken group that had been kicked out returned with a gun at 4 a.m. and opened fire, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Several people were shot.

Roberson, who was armed at the time, grabbed one of the men, held him down and waited for police, according to witnesses.

But witnesses said Roberson became the victim as soon as police arrived. A responding officer with the Midlothian Police Department immediately shot Roberson, who later died at a hospital.

“He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back like, ‘Don’t move,’” Adam Harris told WGN-TV.

Harris said the officer shot an innocent man and that people on the scene tried to warn police that Roberson was a security guard.

“Everybody was screaming out, ‘Security!’ He was a security guard ... and they still did their job, and saw a black man with a gun, and basically killed him,” Harris said.

Midlothian Police Chief Dan Delaney confirmed the shooting, telling reporters, “A Midlothian officer encountered a subject with a gun and was involved in an officer-involved shooting.” The department said the Illinois State Police Public Integrity Task Force would investigate the shooting in order to “ensure transparency and maintain public trust.”

“How in the world does the security guard get shot by police?” asked Walter Turner, the pastor at New Spiritual Light Baptist Church, where Roberson played the organ. “A young man that was literally doing his job and now he’s gone.”

Just don't think the training is close to being good enough.

I bet 90-99% of the cops handle this correctly? The issue is that the consequences are HUGE for the whatever percent can't.

Articles suggest Roberson wasn't licensed as a security guard, had a FOID but not a CHL?

How quickly we forget the statement by Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy "So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

No doubt he asked for his CHL and only shot him after he failed to produce it.

Articles suggest Roberson wasn't licensed as a security guard, had a FOID but not a CHL?

Irrelevant. Someone stepping up and saving lives should get a free pass. You whip an M2 out of your trunk and save innocent lives with it, you should get a handshake and be sent on your way WITH YOUR M2. The fact you used it to do the right thing shows you shouldn’t need a damn permission slip to star with.

[QUOTE="Kevin_NH, post: 6091897, member: 20479]How quickly we forget the statement by Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy "So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”[/QUOTE]

Wow. Just wow. I hadn’t seen that one before.

“He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back like, ‘Don’t move,’”

Well, if this was the case, and the security guard WAS NOT IN A MARKED UNIFORM (not sure yet - no reports either way) AND the police were responding to a shooting, not sure if they over-reacted to start.

“He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back like, ‘Don’t move,’”

Well, if this was the case, and the security guard WAS NOT IN A MARKED UNIFORM (not sure yet - no reports either way) AND the police were responding to a shooting, not sure if they over-reacted to start.

If Roberson was a 'bad guy' wouldn't he run at the sight of police? Or shoot the damned police? The officers should have been able to deduce right away he's one of the good guys just due the fact he was still there. (in addition to all the witnesses basically TELLING the cops he was a security guard).

If Roberson was a 'bad guy' wouldn't he run at the sight of police? Or shoot the damned police? The officers should have been able to deduce right away he's one of the good guys just due the fact he was still there. (in addition to all the witnesses basically TELLING the cops he was a security guard).
From what I am reading, witness didn't yell to the police that he was security until AFTER they shot the guy...

Not sure the color of the skin mattered, or was lack of training by PO.
Probably both. I expect "I need to see your LTC" if I am spotted carrying. If I were black, I would expect "on the ground mofo" at best and ballistic apertures at worst.

From what I am reading, witness didn't yell to the police that he was security until AFTER they shot the guy...
His actions, rather than his job title, should dictate police response.

It's a union thing.

Not true I heard the cop was a college boy trained as a liberal like all college graduates are and couldn't think for himself and mommy wouldn't pick up the phone so he figured if she shot him knowing his prowess for video games the perp would have a second life to give Mom a chance to respond to text.

Why, no drop it? Seems from the story cop rolls in no questions asked, zero f***s to give. BANG ? is that what happened?

Probably both. I expect "I need to see your LTC" if I am spotted carrying. If I were black, I would expect "on the ground mofo" at best and ballistic apertures at worst.

Sure [rolleyes]

His actions, rather than his job title, should dictate police response.

Who knows what ALL of his actions were. All we know is he was on top of a guy with a gun pressed into his back - the police were responding to a shooter and found a guy on top of another guy holding a gun. It certainly doesn't scream "unarmed urban youth gunned down by racist police murderers when he wasn't hurting nobody". It very well might have been an overzealous or nervous police f*** up, or, just as likely, a dumb security guard waving a gun and disobeying commands f*** up. But why waste ambiguity on anything other than a racial narrative?

I’m reminded of many threads here where NESers routinely claim they’d intervene sheepdog-style and subdue a suspect in the event of a crime being committed, or that they’d go out of their way to hunt down said suspect, gun drawn and without even a properly displayed LTC sash.

Nope.

My gun is for clearing a path as I’m getting my family to the nearest exit and didi mau-ing toward my car. Anything else is a good way to have a sudden, brief meeting with a jumpy cop.

Cops shouldn't be shooting people at the first sight of a gun. Did this officer tell the "perp" to drop the gun, get his hands up, anything? If he did and the guard ignored him, that's one situation; if he didn't and just opened fire right away, that's another story entirely.

As always, lets wait for more info to come out.

I’m reminded of many threads here where NESers routinely claim they’d intervene sheepdog-style and subdue a suspect in the event of a crime being committed, or that they’d go out of their way to hunt down said suspect, gun drawn and without even a properly displayed LTC sash.

Nope.

My gun is for clearing a path as I’m getting my family to the nearest exit and didi mau-ing toward my car. Anything else is a good way to have a sudden, brief meeting with a jumpy cop.

Yeah, but you are not working as a security guard. And if you were, your family would likely not be with you at a bar, at 4:00am. And is that accurate? Are bars in Chicago really open until 04:00?

So here is the thing.. Imagine, in some alternate universe, you are a cop in the greater Shitcago area. You and your partner are winding down yet another shift, sipping on that last hot coffee of the night, maybe talking about the latest shooting at a bar in California or a nightclub in Florida. Then the call comes in. Shots fired. Your partner puts on the lights and the sirens, driving at ludicrous speed, adrenaline pumping. As you approach, people are pointing towards the two men on the ground.
You have one hand on the door handle, the other on the butt of your service weapon. You jump out, see a guy holding a gun on a guy pinned to the ground. Bang. The guy with the gun, slumps over. People start yelling that you shot the good guy.

Now, rewind 30 seconds. Imagine the guy holding the gun is white.

Not true I heard the cop was a college boy trained as a liberal like all college graduates are and couldn't think for himself and mommy wouldn't pick up the phone so he figured if she shot him knowing his prowess for video games the perp would have a second life to give Mom a chance to respond to text.
WOW! You really thought this through.

Read an article this morning that alleged that the security guard was in uniform, including a hat that said SECURITY on it, and that he was licensed to carry.

Aren't several "liberal" mayors on record saying they have ordered their PD to shoot to kill anyone they see with a gun? No concern whatsoever as to whether the person is lawfully carrying.

What?!? What mayor ever said that? Why would any mayor, liberal or conservative, make such a foolish comment?

Horrible, Makes you think twice if the situation happened on your watch. If you had the opportunity to help and you didn't you would be ridiculed to no end you did nothing to stop the situation. Or also the possibility of social media backlash. Why do they give you a LTC in the first place. that's all you rebel cowboys want your guns for. I can see it already.

Back
Top Bottom