Black Powder Pistol Question

I know you don't need a licnese for BP reenacting long guns (only to buy the piwder in MA) however, does one need a class B license for a BP pistol that's carried on the field in a holster? I know I checked on this last year, but I don't remember the answer.

After a court case on this, I would say YES, if it is being carried you need a LTC. Lynne, you could check the exemption on longarms for re-enactments and see if that gives an exemption for pistols too under those limited circumstances.

Other option is to contact Chief Ron Glidden directly and get the answer from him. Since he is a re-enactor too, he should know this info off the top of his head. If you need Ron's contact info, please send me a direct Email.

LenS said:
After a court case on this, I would say YES, if it is being carried you need a LTC. Lynne, you could check the exemption on longarms for re-enactments and see if that gives an exemption for pistols too under those limited circumstances.

Other option is to contact Chief Ron Glidden directly and get the answer from him. Since he is a re-enactor too, he should know this info off the top of his head. If you need Ron's contact info, please send me a direct Email.

My first recollection of checking last year was that yes, you need at least a B to carry it as it's a pistol and an FID won't cover it. Once again, the state deems a pistol the evil doer (even tho it's BP) and you don't even need a license for a long arm. [roll] Can we say "just another way for the state to screw us and get our money"? I thought we could. Thanks Len - just wanted to verify it.

FYI Len - I just checked via email with a bud who's better suited to MA laws and BP firearms. He said that the repro's we use on the field during a renenactment do not need a Class B. They're cap and ball and there's no projectile in them when we carry them - just BP.

Lynne,

That's why I suggested checking the wording of the exemption and with Ron. I know nothing about BP or BP laws.

Back
Top Bottom