Black Bear in Otis, MA?

Heard a story about one being killed by means of an "assault rifle" this weekend. State record weight, too. Nothing in the news about it yet. Anyone know more?

What happens in Otis stays in Otis.
The news doesn't travel that far. Channel 22 and 40 are lucky to make it out of Springfield.

The most startling part of the comments to me is the comment mentioning in the early 1970s there were an estimated 100 bears in the state. Now there are an estimated 4000.

100 bears in the state? That seems to be a very low and incorrect number...not that I know for sure what the number is/was...and seeing how you can't hunt bear with dogs in this state the animal worshippers need to know the laws before talking there psychobabbleBS! I do disagree with them killing the bear for "safety reasons"...tranquilize and move...they probably had cheetos in the tent...hence why he wanted in...

I have not had any experience in moving bears but I'm sure the game wardens have plenty of places they relocate animals to..I guess you could move him up north or a little west although I guess it really doesn't matter.

I remember the number of bears being estimated at around 700 in the late 1970's... I never saw a bear in Mass prior to about 1984; but now I see 1 to 3 bears every year. Primarily during the Turkey season.

I have not had any experience in moving bears but I'm sure the game wardens have plenty of places they relocate animals to..I guess you could move him up north or a little west although I guess it really doesn't matter.

Once the carrying capacity is reached, then where to?

At least you are being honest about not knowing what is involved. I was one of those "Game Wardens" Sgt. Massachusetts Environmental Police (Ret) I have moved many bears only to have them return to the area that we took them from. When I say move them it was a from Leominster to the Prescott Peninsula (sow and three cubs0 week and half later she was back. Next move was across the Conn. River and again she was back. Had the same thing happen with sow and cubs in Barre she was moved multiple times.
As far as taking them outside the state the other states don't want another state's problems. Even if the other state did allow it there would still have be a vet check to make sure that the transported animal is not bringing any diseases with them. Even then they will still be back. So at this point once the animals become "Habituated" to human contact there isn't much that can be done, but kill the bear.

Thank you for the clarification I had thought about moving the bear out of state but wasn't sure how other state wardens would accept that and you cleared up what I was thinking. As far as them coming back to their home ground I wasn't sure if they'd return and clearly you know first hand that they do...the next best thing would be to hunt them more by extending the season or even open up the sept season to hunt over bait if the population gets too large and/or the animal becomes a nuisance I guess your stuck with taking care of it then and there and doing so as a last resort.

At least you are being honest about not knowing what is involved. I was one of those "Game Wardens" Sgt. Massachusetts Environmental Police (Ret) I have moved many bears only to have them return to the area that we took them from. When I say move them it was a from Leominster to the Prescott Peninsula (sow and three cubs0 week and half later she was back. Next move was across the Conn. River and again she was back. Had the same thing happen with sow and cubs in Barre she was moved multiple times.
As far as taking them outside the state the other states don't want another state's problems. Even if the other state did allow it there would still have be a vet check to make sure that the transported animal is not bringing any diseases with them. Even then they will still be back. So at this point once the animals become "Habituated" to human contact there isn't much that can be done, but kill the bear.

Kasperzak would have known what to do with them..... [smile]

Hunting them over bait or the use of hounds was outlawed in Mass. in 1996 by use of "Legislation by Ballot" known as question 1. Which was a petition submitted by Mass Audubon, MSPCA, and Financially supported by the Humane Society of the United States.

Yes it was..they're trying to do the same in maine...they can't have their cake and eat it too. Time to do some bear scouting!

I heard it was the camp ground owner with a 44 mag but the environmental police had to finish it off. It was estimated to be at least 10 years old and had become a nuisance bear. It has been hitting the dumpsters in town as well as allegedly entering an apartment causing the residents to escape through a skylight. It's a shame but it didn't have any fear of people and it became so comfortable around people that it could cause a dangerous situation. Or so I heard,,,,,,,

Back
Top Bottom