• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big guys and CC

NH Phantom

NES Member
How are big guys carrying your weapon? I'm 230# inside the pants is probably not an option. Have a hard enough time keeping my pants up already. I have a Bodyguard i just keep in my pocket right now but looking for something bigger to carry (1911 commander size)
Every holster ad you see has a 125# guy showing it off. Is outside carry the only option? I'd like to keep it as close to body as possible

and since when 230# became 'big'? :) now i am, thankfully, back to 205 - well, IWB was never an issue. but i prefer softer outer material to kydex.
best iwd design is the inner kydex shell wrapped into something softer, nylon or leather. or just skip inner kydex completely.
walking with it is not the issue, but driving for long time can rub.

shoulder rig. during warmer weather just throw an open shirt over your T-shire to conceal, jacket when it's cooler.

As a plus, if you get a rig that ties down to you belt it will help hold up your pants, and you can carry full-sized

How are big guys carrying your weapon? I'm 230# inside the pants is probably not an option. Have a hard enough time keeping my pants up already. I have a Bodyguard i just keep in my pocket right now but looking for something bigger to carry (1911 commander size)
Every holster ad you see has a 125# guy showing it off. Is outside carry the only option? I'd like to keep it as close to body as possible
230 and how tall? Just trying to get perspective.

Been running stealth gear iwb for years, sitting at the 4ish o’clock position.
No problems.
I have been looking at other alternatives for kydex iwb options lately. Red Balloon, Tier 1.

Belt is essential. I have a few Kore models I rotate through.

Buy bigger pants and use a good iwb holster. I'm 6 foot 1 300 pounds. I generally carry a j frame in an iwb holster with the leather backing and the kydex pocket to hold the gun. I also have the same style holster for my 1911 and have no problems. I find the surface area of the leather backing helps keep my pants in place and the clips that go over my belt help spread the weight out. 20230429_122354.jpg 20230429_122327.jpg

Kore belt, quality holster and some good pants/shorts. I wear Vertx pants and 5.11 shorts (they are pricey but well worth it).

You didn’t ask but do some cardio. It will make it more comfortable and you’ll be in better shape if you ever do find yourself in a scenario where you have to draw on someone.

I’m a little larger than that and I carry IWB. I buy my pants a size bigger specifically for CC. It’s more about the right belt and a comfy holster with no sharp edges.

The fatter you are, the smaller and thinner the gun you need to pick in order to maintain concealability. Just start carrying two guns - a tiny one on your hip and then a big tactical one in a man purse.

I'm 6'2".......260 This is what I use in the warmer months and the shoulder holster in the cooler months.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20230924_123954.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20230924_123954.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 15
to continue my point - the design concept that works ok-ish is something like this, below, but i had a very similar one to that and the protrusion that goes down was really a problem for me.
i also have a very soft nylon 'pouch' kind of holster that was, dunno, a $19 or something - and ended up using it most of the time, as it is, well, soft on all edges and almost does not rub.

1695574110034.png

Well, you already got a good belt. That is more than half the battle.

I am about 6'1" tall and about 255lbs, 250 on a good day.
Sig 365 IWB in one of these. Strong side, about 3:00-3:30 depending on the pants.

Spare magazine in a horizontal mag carrier, weak side at about 8:30

Disappears under just an untucked T shirt. Some days, I totally forget I have it on my hip, especially when driving. I will have a moment of panic that I forgot my ccw and reach for it. LOL
I have similar set ups for 1911's and Sig P series. Obviously the heavier the gun, the more you notice it, but it really is all about the belt.

I also have a Shoulder holster for big guns when I can wear a sports coat or jacket.

J-frame 38 in an IWB cinched into the top of a combat boot double laced. Full size Glock 23 in an OWB or a 1911 or Sig 226 in a Miami Classic.

I’m thinking about a belly band with suspenders.

6’4”, 300 lbs.

I'm 6'1" 250+ and right IWB is fine

Last edited:

I’m 6’3” 250, and have no problem carrying IWB. Physique somewhere between The Rock & an oversized blueberry.

6' about 155 today. Sig 226 in a milt sparks vm2, a 2022 in an aliengear iwb, or a j frame in a belly band.

I have one of those new magpul belts with the polymer core. Stiffer than my crossbreed belt and thin like a regular dress belt. No sag even with a heavy assed 226. My bouys a little chunky, yeah?

Back
Top Bottom