• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big game 300 win rounds

I'm reading a disturbing lack of ballistics and hunting bullet knowledge here. (Not the OP).

All .30 caliber cartridges do the same thing; they propel a .30 cal bullet downrange. From 30 Carbine, to 30-30, to 30-06, to 300WM. The only difference is how fast that bullet goes. Obviously, the 30-06 and 300wm are more appropriate for the Bison application, but both of them will basically do the same thing; launch a 180-220 grain bullet. The 300wm will do it flatter, because it can send it faster, but it won't be more "deadly".

Plus, bullet choice should be made with regards to the game you plan on shooting. I hope people realize the differences in bullet contruction.

Last edited:
Friend got invited to PA to help his buddy cull a bison bull on his farm. 45-70 direct organ shot and it still took hours and a follow up while the other bulls circled the wounded animal an also stalked my buddy. He was scared shit, good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks...i grabbed some 200g eldx today
I can't speak for ELDX on 300Win, but they are greatfor 6.5. My buddy dropped a deer at 350 using Hornady ELDX.

I use their ELDX for reloading. I weighted a box once. They were all within 1-2 grains. Very consistent.

I'm reading a disturbing lack of ballistics and hunting bullet knowledge here. (Not the OP).

All .30 caliber cartridges do the same thing; they propel a .30 cal bullet downrange. From 30 Carbine, to 30-30, to 30-06, to 300WM. The only difference is how fast that bullet goes. Obviously, the 30-06 and 300wm are more appropriate for the Bison application, but both of them will basically do the same thing; launch a 180-220 grain bullet. The 300wm will do it flatter, because it can send it faster, but it won't be more "deadly".

Plus, bullet choice should be made with regards to the game you plan on shooting. I hope people realize the differences in bullet contruction.

Yup, put a well constructed 180-200 grain bullet through the lungs from a 308/30-06/300 WSM/300 Win. mag. and the animal will die. Higher velocities will help flatten the trajectory (I highly doubt that the range a bison is taking in TN on a ranch will be far, certainly under 200 yards but maybe even within 100 yards) and will also make up for a shot that hits heavy bone (as long as the bullet is properly constructed) but that's about it. People tend to overthink the cartridge but then underthink the bullet itself.

Back
Top Bottom