• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big game 300 win rounds

Anyone got any input for what 300 win round for bison?

I read 180 is the minimum for it 200 is better

Got a 3 day hunt in ten next week

Picking up a glock 40 (the 10mm version not the i spend my days tapping my foot in a bath house glock 40)tomorrow gonna get some 200 grain bbores for a sidearm

Looking for some advice as to what you guys have used before if at all

Yeah yeah @Broc if i can find one i like between now and then I'll get a 45/70 to use

Which states allow bison hunting?

Only a few states allow free-range bison hunting in the United States—Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, Alaska, and Montana. The tags and permits required for these hunts are almost impossible to come by. Luckily, you can also legally hunt bison on private ranches in some other states

It looks like Tennessee has two ranches where Bison are hunted.

It looks like Tennessee has two ranches where Bison are hunted.

Yeah, one that I saw is 800 acres where they raise a bunch of different critters you can shoot, not a big area considering (I have 1,600+ acres of unbroken woods just behind my house in MA). Nothing that would interest me.

200gr nosler partition or something like the trophy bonded federal load is what you want. I trust the nosler partition I've seen that bullet perform on some less than ideal shots through shoulders and things on larger game.

What?

Go with 300 Win Mag if you have it. Shoots flatter.

Since it is a ranch, they probably told you what distance to expect.
Supposedly it's more of a hunt instead of a shoot they say

Idk I'll find out next week

Not trying to be a dick.

I've "hunted" hogs on these types of things because I couldn't travel and wanted to stay in the Northeast. I hunted them with a bow, once recurve bow, and once a compound bow. On a 350 acre enclosure, and at the 1000 acre Wild Hill preserve in VT.

None of them are really like hunting. I can't see Bison being much different. Lets not forget these things are fed by humans most likely.....so they are not the wariest of creatures. I hope Im wrong and you find it more sporting as its a bigger place.

But for the group of us that used to go shooting hogs, it was just a get together to bullshit, shoot hogs and cook hog backstraps, it wasn't looked at as a hunt.

That said....you will have a ton of good meat to eat for a long time. I actually considered shooting one just for the meat, as they had them at the place in NY where we shot hogs, but they wanted a too much for it. I could have bought a half of steer for a lot less.

30-06, 300 mag, 45-70, any of them will be fine. You could kill it with less rifle too, but I'd stick to 30 cal high power and above. I'd use my 45-70 lever just cause if you had one.

Post pics.

+1 if you post a pic with a Canik resting on it. NES heads would explode.
Video of sneeking up to it and making the buffalo's head explode with a round from a Canik would be pretty neat.

Meat wasting it with a lung shot or shoulder shot with a 45-70 is kinda silly, why waste the steaks.

What?

Go with 300 Win Mag if you have it. Shoots flatter.

Since it is a ranch, they probably told you what distance to expect.

It's 25 or 6 to four.

There's 46 and 2 just ahead of him.

I think any sort of bison hunt on a ranch is more shoot than hunt. Getting within 100yds shouldn't be too difficult. And if they are pretty much just out there in the ranch, not hard to find them. You want a REAL buffalo hunt, read Steve Rinella's book on it. Canoe drop-off in southeast Alaska. WTF?

Mind you, I'm not saying that SR is the shiznizzle and you ain't. But THAT'S a hunt - like you'd hunt elk or deer. But TBF, I think for the majority of human existence on this continent, bison hunting wasn't about "hunting" in the sense that we define it today. (ie: Rinella's experience, due to the lack of buffalo, is rare in a historical perspective.)

I'll admit that I've never hunted the real thing, but I do have experience in a video game hunting them, so since this is the internet, I'm kind of an expert now. I was able to down 4 with 5 shots out of an M1 Garand - so anything .30-06 and above will be fine.

Oh that's a thought. Take an M1Garand with some CMP ammo. That would be cool!

I'll admit that I've never hunted the real thing, but I do have experience in a video game hunting them, so since this is the internet, I'm kind of an expert now. I was able to down 4 with 5 shots out of an M1 Garand - so anything .30-06 and above will be fine.
Also an intenet expert minimum load ive found in google was 220 grain 3006

Also an intenet expert minimum load ive found in google was 220 grain 3006
LOL the internet is funny for hunting. You would think before 50 BMG or 45/70 were invented people did no hunting because those seem to be the min caliber for most animals larger than a squirrel.

Your 300 WIN MAG with a 180 or 200 will be enough. Worry about your shot placement. Looking for new ammo a week before a hunt won't leave much time to test it and zero.

Call the ranch and ask, they will tell you what they recommend.

LOL the internet is funny for hunting. You would think before 50 BMG or 45/70 were invented people did no hunting because those seem to be the min caliber for most animals larger than a squirrel.

Your 300 WIN MAG with a 180 or 200 will be enough. Worry about your shot placement. Looking for new ammo a week before a hunt won't leave much time to test it and zero.

I'm a stud club operator

I hit my target 120 out of 100 times

Shot placement doesnt concern me

Not trying to be a dick.

I've "hunted" hogs on these types of things because I couldn't travel and wanted to stay in the Northeast. I hunted them with a bow, once recurve bow, and once a compound bow. On a 350 acre enclosure, and at the 1000 acre Wild Hill preserve in VT.

None of them are really like hunting. I can't see Bison being much different. Lets not forget these things are fed by humans most likely.....so they are not the wariest of creatures. I hope Im wrong and you find it more sporting as its a bigger place.

But for the group of us that used to go shooting hogs, it was just a get together to bullshit, shoot hogs and cook hog backstraps, it wasn't looked at as a hunt.

That said....you will have a ton of good meat to eat for a long time. I actually considered shooting one just for the meat, as they had them at the place in NY where we shot hogs, but they wanted a too much for it. I could have bought a half of steer for a lot less.

30-06, 300 mag, 45-70, any of them will be fine. You could kill it with less rifle too, but I'd stick to 30 cal high power and above. I'd use my 45-70 lever just cause if you had one.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, there just isn't enough feed on a few hundred acres for these these types and number of animals, I would have to believe they are being fed as well. Bison do not seem like very wary animals as it is (probably don't need to be for the most part).

Last edited:

The magazines are silly too. I cancelled a gift subscription (from a family member) to Guns & Ammo after reading Sir Craig Boddington recommended using 300 Weatherby mag for whitetail. I wouldn't want to pick up and try to butcher whatever would be left. Oh, in the same article he said 270 Winchester is his preference for elk. Ok Craig, go back to polishing your monacle

The magazines are silly too. I cancelled a gift subscription (from a family member) to Guns & Ammo after reading Sir Craig Boddington recommended using 300 Weatherby mag for whitetail. I wouldn't want to pick up and try to butcher whatever would be left. Oh, in the same article he said 270 Winchester is his preference for elk. Ok Craig, go back to polishing your monacle
Need to mention as many calibers as possible so people would go buy them and then argue over it later.

It is like a lot of workout advise. Mentioning the same things that we know work and have been mentioned 100 times in the past 50 years doesn't get you readers. But telling people that jumping on one leg, while doing bicep curls with your right arm and a shoulder press with your left is a good workout, that gets you readers.

As far as large calibers for deer ... I would be more concerned with the bullet going straight through with zero expansion. Unless it is a flat point like a 45/70, which might go through but will destroy everything in its path.

Last edited:
It is like a lot of workout advise. Mentioning the same things thst we know work and habe been mentioned 100 times in the past 50 years doesn't get you readers. But telling people that jumping on one leg, while doing bicep curls with your right arm and a shoulder press with your left is a good workout, that gets you readers.

As far as large calibers for deer ... I would be more concerned with the bullet going straight through with zero expansion. Unless it is a flat point like a 45/70, which might go through but will destroy everything in its path.
I've seen what a 270 Weatherby mag does to a deer. They expand quite well. The guy lost what looked like close to half the meat

Hornady has several good offerings in their American Hunter, Precision Hunter, or Custom International lines using Spire Point (SP) or ELD-X bullets, or even the Superformance with SSTs.

Federal Terminal Ascent is supposed to be outstanding, but damn it's expensive! Fusion is their SP round. Probably awesome too, and a little less expensive but still three bucks a round

Good luck on your hunt!

Hornady has several good offerings in their American Hunter, Precision Hunter, or Custom International lines using Spire Point (SP) or ELD-X bullets, or even the Superformance with SSTs.

Federal Terminal Ascent is supposed to be outstanding, but damn it's expensive! Fusion is their SP round. Probably awesome too, and a little less expensive but still three bucks a round

Good luck on your hunt!
Thanks...i grabbed some 200g eldx today

Back
Top Bottom