Big E: October 10th and 11th, 2009

I'll be there tomorrow. Dragging the girlfriend along too. (She didn't protest too much when I told her WE were going.)

I spent about 3 1/2 hours and thought the show was great. There was some kind of a Winchester theme going on as at least 1/3 of the tables were heavily Winchester related, but unlike Marlboro, there was a very nice black gun representation. Loads of tactical gear at some great prices. I picked up a brand new Daniel Defense Omega rail for $200 and some great CRKT knives cheap. The drive from Boston sucks but I have to admit I actually think it was worth it. All this plus I got to chat with "Teddy" (as he insisted on being called) Van Kirk. All in all a great take!

I spent about 3 1/2 hours and thought the show was great. There was some kind of a Winchester theme going on as at least 1/3 of the tables were heavily Winchester related, but unlike Marlboro, there was a very nice black gun representation. Loads of tactical gear at some great prices. I picked up a brand new Daniel Defense Omega rail for $200 and some great CRKT knives cheap. The drive from Boston sucks but I have to admit I actually think it was worth it. All this plus I got to chat with "Teddy" (as he insisted on being called) Van Kirk. All in all a great take!
I enjoyed the show too. Lots of the same folks from Marlboro... but plenty of new vendors & exhibitors too. I was happy I made the long drive.

Only notable downside was the disappointing "ammo tent" (yes, y'all had warned me!). One vendor with ammo and one with reloading supplies. Prices were the same as the local dealers... or higher. [frown]

I didn't have to pay to park, so I don't have that gripe. [grin]

CLMN

The boys and I spent 4 hours walking around yesterday. I was tempted to buy a rifle but, in the end I wasn't sufficiently moved. I saw a couple of m44s for a hundred bucks, and a case of Mosin-Nagants for a hundred each. Saw some Ruger 10/22s that were interesting. A few overpriced WASR-10s, and a couple of Russian SKSs for $545/565. But nothing cried out to me.

I bought some stripper clips for $0.50 each and some 7.62x39 ammo for $5 a box.

That was it.

. . . and what about that "NRA Collectors Show and Conference"?

Any evidence of that to be found at the show?

Um ... not really sure what that's about. There was an NRA booth, and some exhibits that I didn't really spend much time at. It was mostly the usual show.

I missed this show and wanted to go because I need some info on a Winchester .22 I have that a collector expressed a bunch of interest in when I described it to him last year.

Anyone know if the Winchester Collector's Assoc. sets up at any other gun shows aroud here?

I spent about two hours walking around the show. I stopped by the Remsport booth and talked with John for a bit. I picked up a Remsport conversion barrel for my Glock 22 while I was at the booth. Was another NES'er there buying a lower, LPK & stock while I was at the booth? They joked about having to sneak the parts into the house.

. . . and what about that "NRA Collectors Show and Conference"? Any evidence of that to be found at the show?
Um ... not really sure what that's about. There was an NRA booth, and some exhibits that I didn't really spend much time at. It was mostly the usual show.
Exactly right. Lots of tables with apparent NRA connections of one sort or another... but nothing that screamed out "NRA Collectors Show and Conference." If anyone was conferencing, it wasn't going on inside the main show while I was there. [grin]

CLMN

Back
Top Bottom