• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better sights for my M&P

Hey,

Which sights can i get for my M&P that are a very bright green ? I've seen some of them around but im not sure which ones they are.

Thoughts ?

Thanks.

Dawson, Trij, Novaks, etc. all make sights for the M&P. There is a lot to choose from out there.

I put a front Dawson FO on my M&P 9 and love it. YMMV

LenS, I've been going back on forth between a Dawson or XS for my M&P. Any chance you can post a pic of the sight picture ? Thanks

I want these puppies, anyone got em?
b8dbab8e-99ec-5bf9.jpg

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

Checkout the TruGlo sights for M&P's. I have the tritium/fiber optic model installed on my compact and full size M&P. They're great in daylight and low light.

http://www.truglo.com/

I've got them on my Sig and offer 2 cautions:

1. The fiber CAN come loose. Especially if you get cleaning solvent on it and 2 the notch in the rear sight is wider than I would like.

TrueGlo looks like they have a great website... and their sights may be good... but would it kill them to put a photo showing the sight picture ?

*sigh*

I've got a set of truglo sights. I really do not like them. The rear sights attract my eye, which should be focused on the front sight - all black is the way to go for a rear sight. Second, the front sight is too thick and the fiber optic rod is too large, making it harder to shoot accurately. Third, the rear sight notch is too narrow, which really slows you down. As a result, I will be taking the truglos off my Glock - all in all they were a total waste of money.

Go with 10-8 or Heinie instead.

Thank you sir. Looks good.

Mac, I need to note that the glow is a LOT brighter in good light. It's a dreary day and I did this indoors with 2 lamps on behind me, so not much light to pickup.

Greg Derr did this when he did my trigger job.

I shot this in my NRA PPOH Instructor course and found sight acquisition to be very fast and superb (based on my hits, even shooting off-hand rapidly).

I have a dawson fiber front and burwell (serrated all black) rear on my competition M&P and like it a lot. I've been meaning to put a front night sight on my M&P 9c carry gun and black out the dots on the factory rear, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd avoid any of the gimmicky sights. Almost every review of any of them by people with serious shooting skill is bad.

I've been meaning to put a front night sight on my M&P 9c carry gun and black out the dots on the factory rear

I've been running my sight's like this for years (including the M&P sans the FO) and prefer it to anything else. I still would like to try the XS Big Dot tho..............

My M&P9L wears a skinny Dawson fiber front (0.100") and Warren Tactical plain rear (0.010" wider than stock). It give me a nice fast sight picture with light on either side. I thought I had a picture handy but can't seem to find it. My M&P9 just has the dots on rear sight blackened with a sharpie, it made a big difference for me. One of these days I'll get a front night sight for my M&P9c

What's the rational for blacking out the rear sights ?

I have a red front sight and I can't see it at all. Human eyes are the most sensitive in the blue/green region so I thought the green or white (for contrast) would be better.

I would have to agree with M1911 that having a thinner front site would probably help with accuracy. (guessing of course )

I'll ask around at the Harvard practices next week and see what the sight picture looks like on what people are using.

Thanks !

-L

What's the rational for blacking out the rear sights ?

You want your eye to be focused on the front sight, not the rear. Anything on the rear sight, whether it is dots, white outline, white bar, red fiber optic, etc., draws your eye towards the rear sight and away from the front.

Over the years I've tried them all:

- white rear dots
- green rear tritium dots
- red rear tritium dots (dimmer than the front green dot)
- rear tritium bar
- single rear tritium dot in straight-eight configuration
- rear green truglo tritium/fiber dots

All of them attract my eye to the rear sight and slow me down. A plain black rear sight works best for me.

If you want to meet me at the Wayland Rod & Gun Club some time, I can let you look at a few different sights.

Roscoe. Front sight

The conventional sight picture with conventional handgun sights is the one you see in the marksmanship manuals. The front sight is centered in the notch of the rear sight. The top of the front sight is level with the top of the rear sight, and there is an equal amount of light on either side.

Human vision being what it is, you can’t focus on the sights and the target at the same time. Actually, you can’t focus on both the front and the rear sight at the same time, either. Once the target has been identified as something you need to shoot, you no longer need your primary visual focus on it. Primary focus now goes to the aiming indicator, the front sight. Think of it as a fighter pilot would: “enemy craft sighted, lock missiles on target.” The way we lock the handgun’s missiles onto the target is by focusing on its front sight.

Watch the front sight hard. Apply your primary visual focus there. Look at it until you can see every little scratch in the machining on its surface. If it has a dot on it, focus on it until the dot looks like a soccer ball. Then you, too, will experience the epiphany of the front sight, and will see your shot groups tighten as if by magic.

Massad Ayoob

Roscoe. Front sight

The conventional sight picture with conventional handgun sights is the one you see in the marksmanship manuals. The front sight is centered in the notch of the rear sight. The top of the front sight is level with the top of the rear sight, and there is an equal amount of light on either side.

Human vision being what it is, you can’t focus on the sights and the target at the same time. Actually, you can’t focus on both the front and the rear sight at the same time, either. Once the target has been identified as something you need to shoot, you no longer need your primary visual focus on it. Primary focus now goes to the aiming indicator, the front sight. Think of it as a fighter pilot would: “enemy craft sighted, lock missiles on target.” The way we lock the handgun’s missiles onto the target is by focusing on its front sight.

Watch the front sight hard. Apply your primary visual focus there. Look at it until you can see every little scratch in the machining on its surface. If it has a dot on it, focus on it until the dot looks like a soccer ball. Then you, too, will experience the epiphany of the front sight, and will see your shot groups tighten as if by magic.

Massad Ayoob

Thanks for the instruction !.... my guess is you've been doing this a while ? it's almost like your a professional writer ?

:)

Thanks again,
-L

Back
Top Bottom