BETA Tester for Armory Inventory program?

namedpipes

NES Member
I've cobbled together a fairly simple inventory program to track my gun collection. I hate paper. Bad experience as a child.

The db tracks certain details of each firearm in the collection, including identifying info, description, appraisal and photos.

Should you be a MA resident, it will produce an Excel spreadsheet that will print onto an FA-10 form, saving writer's cramp.

Should you be a C&R holder, it will produce a report that I think will be acceptable as a bound book (printed out).

I have no intention of polishing the program to commercial fit & finish, but once it fully suits my needs, I expect to offer it more or less free to NES members. The less is, I'd 'require' a nominal donation to breast cancer research in memoriam of a particular person. If you found the program was super useful to you, you can feel free to send me coffee money, too. The more is, I haven't the time or inclination to track you down if you don't pay for it.

If you are willing to offer constructive feedback on the program, you're welcome to a copy gratis. I need 2 to 5 guin, er, volunteers.

Again, not a commercial product - I'm writing this for myself and if it happens to be useful to others that's great.

If this belongs in a different forum, or isn't permitted on the site, my apologies in advance. Just let me know.

I'd like to give it a wirl.

Should you be a C&R holder, it will produce a report that I think will be acceptable as a bound book (printed out).
I don't think it would be acceptable as it is not a bound book, but I may be wrong.

I'd like to give it a wirl.

I don't think it would be acceptable as it is not a bound book, but I may be wrong.

PM me your email address and we'll find a way to send you the installer.

Platform is .NET 3.5 + SQL CE 3.5. It should run on Windows 2000 and newer. Not sure about Win98.

On the BB, elsewhere on the site I've read ("some guy told me in a bar" [thinking]) that BATFE does require a hard copy format (keeping a database is not sufficient). Those threads suggested that periodically printing out your BB was fine. It might be necessary to apply for a variance from BATFE?

There are a couple of reasons I can think of why that report may not be sufficient for BATFE. The main issue is the BB is typically transaction oriented, while the report would more of a current inventory. If I address that, I'll have to create a logging table and report from that. The other issue is, may you correct earlier entries by making a new one, or MUST you return to the original entry and 'edit' in place.

However, these reporting points are probably better talked about in the law forums. Here, I'm just looking for several volunteers to try it out.

Couple more?

BATF will accept electronic records in place of the bound book if the system has been approved by them. I have no idea just what they require in the system in order for it to be approved.

Regardless, I'd like to look at a copy. PM inbound with E-Mail address.

Ken

Well, Armory Inventory now appears to have the basic functionality I was looking for. Some of the screens could use some tweaking for better 'workflow' or appearance issues, but you can add/change/delete items and associate photos with the items. The Inventory report looks like an Inventory report. The Bound Book looks like a Bound Book, but it simply renders a list of items flagged as BB in that format. Working it into a 'real' bound book is not a problem but it is a project for another day.

One person reported a problem installing but I never heard back if the fix for it corrected the problem.

Has anyone installed and made any entries?

Well, Armory Inventory now appears to have the basic functionality I was looking for. Some of the screens could use some tweaking for better 'workflow' or appearance issues, but you can add/change/delete items and associate photos with the items. The Inventory report looks like an Inventory report. The Bound Book looks like a Bound Book, but it simply renders a list of items flagged as BB in that format. Working it into a 'real' bound book is not a problem but it is a project for another day.

One person reported a problem installing but I never heard back if the fix for it corrected the problem.

Has anyone installed and made any entries?

Can you import an Excel spreadsheet into it? I currently track any and all related items,
including reloading inventories with excel and I could try it out if it had import capabilities.
Otherwise I would hate to 'fat finger' all of that info into it.

Regards,

TBP

Can you import an Excel spreadsheet into it? I currently track any and all related items,
including reloading inventories with excel and I could try it out if it had import capabilities.
Otherwise I would hate to 'fat finger' all of that info into it.

Regards,

TBP

I can look at an import/export of a csv file (comma separated values). You would 'save as' the spreadsheet and then import that. It would have to be in a predictable format, but if you're familiar with Excel that shouldn't be a problem. Definitely easier than retyping.

Something like:

description,manufacturer,model,bore,barrel,Action,Type,Firing
Beretta 948,Beretta,Model 948,.22,6,SEMIAUTO,HANDGUN,RIMFIRE
Marlin .35,Marlin,336CS,.35,19 1/2,LEVER,RIFLE,CENTERFIRE
etc...

or some such...

Back
Top Bottom