Best weaponlight for P220 proprietary rail?

I’ve owned a Sig P220 for a few years as home defense/vault queen but I’d like to add a weapon light to make it a bit more grab and go vs. looking for my standalone tac flashlight. Since CCW is not a concern I don’t mind bulking it up a bit.

But as you may know, the Sig rail is proprietary and slightly rounded at the bottom vs. picatinny which is flat.

I’ve heard variously that it works, it’s tight, it leaves marks. I don’t care about scratching it, I figure the next guy that buys it from me will do the same thing to it anyway.

So...I want a TLR-1 HL for it, any advice as to if this fits and will work even if it’s tight or leaves marks?

Or...barring that, are there any decent Sig compatible lights that you would recommend? Not looking to be a second sun at night, lumens are secondary in this case.

Number one is “will it stay on when shooting”

Thanks all

I don't know if you will be able to find one but Sig used to offer a flashlight/strobe with an integrated laser. STL900 L. Retailed around $230.00 which was a little high for what it is. It settled to a more reasonable $150.00 to $170.00 range which is more in line with its performance.

It is not a rugged as the Streamlight/Surefire offerings. Not as bright either (130 lumens I think) but it only uses 1 CR123 battery where the others use 2 iirc. For EDC or professional use I'd probably with the others but the STL900 is rugged and bright enough for home defense.

I would not recommend the version where the laser is behind the flashlight lense as it causes a "ghosting" effect. The newer version had the laser beside the flashlight and works very well.

I've only run 3 mags with the light on but it did stay on.

It's a disco'd model...but you still might be able to find one.

Last edited:
I don't know if you will be able to find one but Sig used to offer a flashlight/strobe with...It's a disco'd model...but you still might be able to find one.
Thanks for the good info! It’s a fine line of enough lumens to identify target but not so much as to give you a giant purple green blob on your retina for an hour.

I own a TLR1 and I can say that it comes with various inserts to fit multiple pistols. I can’t comment specifically on the sig but you may want to call streamlight and see what they say.

TLR 1 fits fine on my circa 2012 production P220. who says the P220 rail is proprietary?

I have a tlr 1, m3x & an aplc. Each fit my 229 fine. They all spent time on a 226 when I had one.

TLR1S works great on a p220.
The strobe works great to mess up someone’s OODA Loop.
I have thousands of rounds through this one.
If I recall correctly, the 1913 key that Streamlight ships with the light works with the Sig rail.

68D7FCE9-9757-46D2-8F40-49AF1350E149.jpeg

TLR1S works great on a p220.
The strobe works great to mess up someone’s OODA Loop.
I have thousands of rounds through this one.
If I recall correctly, the 1913 key that Streamlight ships with the light works with the Sig rail.

View attachment 248826

I went with the TLR-1 HL, using the 1913 key and it is perfect not sure what the internet fuss was about re:alignment etc, aside from scuffing the rail but rails were meant to be scuffed and I’m not buying guns to keep as museum pieces.

It’s perfect and very functional. Better to be able to hold a phone on a 9-11 call in the left hand while holding a gun with a light with the other than having to hold a separate tac flashlight (which I have many of ).

I’ll go to the range to be sure it doesn’t fly off but it seems solid as hell. Recommend it.

Lol I have those hogue grips too Cptn. They are great.

Last edited:
I went with the TLR-1 HL, using the 1913 key and it is perfect not sure what the internet fuss was about re:alignment etc, aside from scuffing the rail but rails were meant to be scuffed and I’m not buying guns to keep as museum pieces.

It’s perfect and very functional. Better to be able to hold a phone on a 9-11 call in the left hand while holding a gun with a light with the other than having to hold a separate tac flashlight (which I have many of ).

I’ll go to the range to be sure it doesn’t fly off but it seems solid as hell. Recommend it.

Lol I have those hogue grips too Cptn. They are great.

I use a penny or a nickle to snug it down on the rail. its never come loose on me if I do this.
This way its easy to come off if I move it to my P226 or P320.

Thanks for the holster link spork, I will check those out.

I have a P226 with the SIG/rounded rail. Alot of people were saying the TLRs etc were damaging the rail. I went with the Olight PL-MINI. Best features are it is rechargable and has a quick detach/attach lever. No need to crank down on any screws or anything and can easily be moved to another gun.

I have a P226 with the SIG/rounded rail. Alot of people were saying the TLRs etc were damaging the rail. I went with the Olight PL-MINI. Best features are it is rechargable and has a quick detach/attach lever. No need to crank down on any screws or anything and can easily be moved to another gun.
I had that one in my shopping cart...

If anyone wants holsters that can accept this combination of weapon light and gun, http://clevelandkydex.com/ seem like the place to go

Yeah, no.

Very sloppy mold. They don’t block out lateral channels (like, say, my excellent Vedder or almost anyone else outside of YouTube “how to make a kydex holster” videos) they just heat, wrap, press, ship to the unlucky sucker. Spent an entire day trying to get my gun out of it—it was trapped the moment I slid it in (twss). Spent another day to get it to be somewhat usable. Zero intention of returning it or getting their support. I have a zero tolerance for crap products. I’m not paid to do your R&D particularly with life or death products like guns and holsters. It needs to work flawlessly based on your exhaustive design and testing. Caveat Emptor. Live and learn. My fault, didn’t do the research plus I even thought to myself “hm they don’t seem to mold channels” but I didn’t listen to my big gut.

Next up: trying KT Mech. They seem to mold it correctly from the pics. We shall see!

I will add that the eared-screw (hey now) of the StreamLight is a major part of the problem here. They do make a non-eared screw (pardon my French) but I ignored it at first not realizing its usefulness. Anyway proper channels should avoid the problem.

That sucks
The eared screw comes in handy if you swap the light onto other guns.
Just loosen it half a turn or so with a coin and its then easy to unscrew.
I can see the non eared screw if you hardly ever remove the light.

Back
Top Bottom