Best spotting scope under $200?

I'm looking to get a spotting scope. It will be used only at the range. I need to be able to see .17 holes in the black at 100 yards. Any suggestions as to what I should buy? Cheaper is better as long as it shows me the holes and the tripod is steady.

I'm looking to get a spotting scope. It will be used only at the range. I need to be able to see .17 holes in the black at 100 yards. Any suggestions as to what I should buy? Cheaper is better as long as it shows me the holes and the tripod is steady.

That is going to be tough with a high-dollar scope, depending on conditions.

I can see the holes through the scope on my rifle if I use Shoot-n-see targets. The scope on the gun was only $45. I just need a spotting scope that is as good as the scope on the gun.

Baush & Lomb Discoverer 15x-60x! i think Bushnell took over & now makes that same model now..but look on ebay for the Baush & Lomb original. i picked it up for $150, excellent optics on this spotting scope. i know this because i build optics for a living. Stay away from anything made with BAK-7 glass, quality scopes use BAK-4 or better,....also Burris makes several models for around that price range.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my Konus 80mm scope (fixed 20-60x zoom eyepiece), which was right around the $200 mark. In good conditions I can see .22 holes at 200 yards, so .17 at 100 ought to be OK.

I can see the holes through the scope on my rifle if I use Shoot-n-see targets. The scope on the gun was only $45. I just need a spotting scope that is as good as the scope on the gun.

ANY scope should be able to see hits on Shoot-n-see targets at 100yds. Don't go with too high a magnification, which is a mistake too many people make. Anything under 30X is good.

I have a Barska Blackhawk 20-60x60. I bought it at Dicks for IIRC $170, and I have no problem with 223 at 100 yards. I don't own anything .17 so I'm not 100% that it would work.

But if you live local, you are more than welcome to try it before you buy one.

Last edited:
What stores in Mass. or southern N.H. could I go to where would I be able to look at different spotting scopes?

What stores in Mass. or southern N.H. could I go to where would I be able to look at different spotting scopes?

Good question. There's a birding store in Newburyport that used to have decent selection though probably higher end. Hunt's Photo in Melrose is probably worth a visit and Kittery Trading Post probably is also.

To be honest though, with the possible exception of KTP, I doubt you'll find a good selection anywhere around here. If you're even in NYC, go to the B&H store. They will have an excellent selection.

In the early days of this forum there was a thread on this topic. Very serious competitive shooters stated that the Celestron was an outstanding choice and surprisingly low cost but not "cheap". You might do a search, it might be worth a read.

I have a Celestron Ultima65 up for sale in the classifieds. It's a really great piece of optics, however is the model with the straight eyepiece, which for me is not so convenient for use as a spotting scope, because you need to put the scope up at eye level.

The models with an angled eyepiece are more ergonomic for shooting I think ,because you bend your head down to look through it, so you can have it lower down on a tripod, which is more stable.

I have a Celestron Ultima65 up for sale in the classifieds. It's a really great piece of optics, however is the model with the straight eyepiece, which for me is not so convenient for use as a spotting scope, because you need to put the scope up at eye level.

The models with an angled eyepiece are more ergonomic for shooting I think ,because you bend your head down to look through it, so you can have it lower down on a tripod, which is more stable.

+1 to that!

Back
Top Bottom