Best scope for a 10/22

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
Hi folks! My daughter is upgrading to a Ruger 10/22 semiauto after two years with a bolt-action. This will be gift for her eighth birthday. Her Savage .22 bolt rifle has a fixed 4X Leupold and will be handed down to her younger sister. Is a fixed 4X the proper eyeball for a 10/22? I never owned one. My rifles are strictly bolt-actions. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bought my wife the Cabelas .22 scope for 100 yards and I’m happy with it and was only like 75.00. Are there better ones ? Yes of course but she’s happy with it.

Attachments

• B2262703-EA5F-4154-B726-11A2E488421C.jpeg
    B2262703-EA5F-4154-B726-11A2E488421C.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 27
Simmons .22 MAG family of scopes are decent for the money. Be sure to get the rings for the 10/22 that screw directly onto the receiver, not the t-rail adapter and the QD rings. I have a custom stainless 10/22 with an old Weaver K4S scope on it, and a .22 MAG on my .22 American bolt action rimfire for the kids.

With my girls I used scout scopes like the Leupold or red dots like the Aimpoint T2 Micro. Shooting with both eyes open and quick target acquisition.

What's your budget? I got a 3 x 9 at Dick's that does OK for the $50 or so I spent on it. I had a gift card...

I want to replace it with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II 3 - 9 x 40.

$119 list price doesn't seem outrageous & everything goes "on sale" eventually. I can wait.

I like the BDC reticle, having one for .223 and another for .308.

I read they *might* be getting out of the scope business, but I'm not sure that would deter me on something like this.

Hi folks! My daughter is upgrading to a Ruger 10/22 semiauto after two years with a bolt-action. This will be gift for her eighth birthday. Her Savage .22 bolt rifle has a fixed 4X Leupold and will be handed down to her younger sister. Is a fixed 4X the proper eyeball for a 10/22? I never owned one. My rifles are strictly bolt-actions. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
What type of shooting are you doing?
For general plinking another 4x or a 1x6 might ne fine.
Are you looking to reach out to longer distance or try to shoot small groups something with a bit more MagX and parallax adjustment might be better
I have had old VXIII 2.5x8
Typical 4x
AR 22 scope bushnell 22 drop zone
Its a decent size
Good rings will really help these inexpensive scopes.
I have warne verticle split rings on most of my 22s
On top of my 10/22 right now is a
Mueller 8x32x44 its a bit big but light for its size and I like it for the money
I have the regular reticle version not the target dot

a thread like this comes up every so often. i used one to help me find a scope for my 10/22 a few years back. i found then scopes were pretty much a personal choice at the $100 price point. i went through 3 or 4 of the ones that came highly recommended here and honestly, i thought they all sucked. bsa was a popular one but i couldn't zero them. i settled on the nikon prostaff when the smoke cleared.

She was blessed with 20/20 vision. We use the scope to take advantage of the accuracy of the .22LR round.

If you're trying to ring out as much accuracy from both the cartridge and the rifle, I'd look for something:

*Variable
*3-9 or similar
*$100-400, depending on how much you're trying to spend and how much precision you want

I have old Weaver K4's on two of my 10/22's., both post and crosshairs. i like them, good quality scopes made when people actually cared about quality

I use a Leupold 3x9 on my .22 that works fine out to 100yds. If I was to go with a fixed, it might be something around a 10x .

I like Redfield. Owned by Leupold and uses Leupold older tube design. Made in USA, at least the scopes are. Cheaper than the Leupold line. Not cheap, but a very good value.

What's your budget? I got a 3 x 9 at Dick's that does OK for the $50 or so I spent on it. I had a gift card...

$119 list price doesn't seem outrageous & everything goes "on sale" eventually. I can wait.

I read they *might* be getting out of the scope business, but I'm not sure that would deter me on something like this.
That Nikon might be ideal. I will see if I can get it from Cabelas, since Dicks does not seem to be too popular these days.

got 1 of these recently for $99 & free shipping
i have 2 other Nikon (M223 & P223) so this was a no brainer
good glass at a good price

Last edited:
a thread like this comes up every so often. i used one to help me find a scope for my 10/22 a few years back. i found then scopes were pretty much a personal choice at the $100 price point. i went through 3 or 4 of the ones that came highly recommended here and honestly, i thought they all sucked. bsa was a popular one but i couldn't zero them. i settled on the nikon prostaff when the smoke cleared.
Inexpensive scopes are not for everyone. Also its hard for some to pay $60-125 for a scope then pony up $50+ for nice rings.
Good rings are a god send for some cheap scopes. Although if the scope guts suck it wont hold zero. i have a good amount of inexpensive scopes. Im also not afraid to buy used scopes collecting dust at gun shops. The top of the line scope from 5+ years ago will often be better than some of mid range scopes today at a fraction of the cost.
i have picked up several old Tasco scopes from made in Japan days for cheap over the years for beater 22s and pellet guns

I have a couple of these on 1022's; I like them. Nice thing about them is that when you zero at 50, you can run clicks to get to 100, and when you dial back down - your 50 yard zero is restored. A couple of scopes I tried prior to this, (for about same money), were inconsistent when you adjusted vertical. (sorry for the lousy phrasing, hope my meaning is clear).

Nice thing about them is that when you zero at 50, you can run clicks to get to 100, and when you dial back down - your 50 yard zero is restored.
Proper vertical and horizontal adjustment (staying on axis) is called tracking.
The lowest I would go would be a Vortex Crossfire 3-9.
OP: don't expect proper tracking or click values from cheap scopes. Zero as good as you can, and use hold overs. Dialing different distances ought to be a nightmare, and return to zero will be at least questionable.

I have a BSA Sweet 22 on one of mine - use the cartridges the scope was built for and it's right on...

The lowest I would go would be a Vortex Crossfire 3-9.
OP: don't expect proper tracking or click values from cheap scopes. Zero as good as you can, and use hold overs. Dialing different distances ought to be a nightmare, and return to zero will be at least questionable.

Thank you.

Not only the right scope, but the right mount is also important. If you shoot much in prone or sitting, you may find that the scope is too far back, resulting in a black donut around the image. The best fix I've found for this is the Volquartsen extended rail, which cantilevers out over the barrel so you can get the scope far enough forward without having to use extended rings.

Back
Top Bottom