• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best rifle scope over 20X?

Looking for opinions on the best scope over 20X power. I would like opinions for the best under $1000 and the best cost-is-no-object scope.

I would consider these two:

Schmidt & Bender 5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP
Nightforce 8-32 x 56 NXS

Both are over $1K. Not sure what I would do under $1K, but the NF scope costs around $1300, so it is close. Looks like the S&B is around $3K.

Last edited:
Economist and JohnFH, do either of you know any place within a reasonable distance from Boston that stocks any of these scopes? I wouldn't want to shell out this kind of money without actually looking through these scopes first.

Economist and JohnFH, do either of you know any place within a reasonable distance from Boston that stocks any of these scopes? I wouldn't want to shell out this kind of money without actually looking through these scopes first.

I don't. I usually end up ordering this stuff online.

Sorry, I'm not near Boston.
Try and find a bench rest match, you will find plenty.

I ordered mine online too.

If you are looking for competition scopes (which I know little about), check out Leupold's line of 45mm scopes. For example, their 45x45 scope looks nice and is available for right at $1000. As I said, I have no long-range competition experience, but I have had good luck with Leupold scopes in general, particularly their Mark 4 LR/T series.

Last edited:
S&B,Premier Reticles,US Optics..can't go wrong with any of those..I like the S&B so I bought one.NF glass is pretty nice as well,although I couldn't see myself forking out that much cash for a Chinese scope (with Jap glass)

Cheaper (relatively) would be Leupold..You won't be dissapointed.

Best deals are online,most dealers don't keep $3K scopes in stock.

Cheaper than that you will find yourself buying another scope down the line.

Last edited:
NF glass is pretty nice as well,although I couldn't see myself forking out that much cash for a Chinese scope (with Jap glass)

I didn't know NF scopes were Chinese made. I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 mounted on an AR-15 and so far I like it a lot. But to be honest, had I known they used Chinese parts I probably would have gone with something else.

I have A nightforce 5.5-22 Ill NP-R1 and I think it is one of the best scopes out there especially compared to the price of the S&B wich I also own A Police Marksman 5-25x56 PM Riflescope with Illuminated P3 that costs me $3,749. After owning both of those + A couple Mark4's, Kahles,Zeiss,Swarovski, Nikon tactical. NF it's definitly the best in my opinion. To be A little more specific the glass on the Kahles, Zeiss, and Swarovski is probably A little bit better Kahles is branched off of Swarovski. I think if you wanna spend $1k or less with A 20X I would say go with Zeiss conquest with the tactical turrets Zeiss 6.5-20x50 AO MC Conquest it sells for $1,100 I think it is on par Glass with the best of them. I actually have the 4.5-14 in silver if you are interested? As for all the other aspects ruggedness, durability, precision etc. can't beat NF escpecially for the price.

Last edited:
I have no experience with these or any other money is no object scope, but I have read that the Bench Rest shooters are talking a lot about March scopes. I think they are comparable to Nightforce.

B

On 6mmbr.com they have a scope review for benchrest. Give it a look. I have a 45 x 45 Leupold LCS. It is nice, but I haven't owned any other brands to make a fair comparison. If you are serious about one, you can look through mine before you buy one.

Dave

They may be a bit bulky but you can't go wrong with an IOR scope.

I have looked at IOR and the Glass is probably comparible to top of the line along with ruggedness, Relaiblitly, etc.I also love the look of them they look like they can take A beatin. I would have loved to get the 4-28x56 the price jumped up alot from $1,850 to $2450 within 1years time. should have got it when they came out.

I have looked at IOR and the Glass is probably comparible to top of the line along with ruggedness, Relaiblitly, etc.I also love the look of them they look like they can take A beatin. I would have loved to get the 4-28x56 the price jumped up alot from $1,850 to $2450 within 1years time. should have got it when they came out.

That's quite a jump in price! I was looking at the IOR 9-36x56 a few years ago but didn't want to wait 3 months for the order the clear customs. I ended up getting the IOR 6-24x50. The glass is outstanding and it's built like a tank. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.
http://usaoptics.net/iorva6tasc35.html

I wholeheartedly agree with ChetD, there are great scopes to be had for under $600. One of my favorites is the Weaver T36, great glass but customer service can be a bit on the poor side. I have used Leupold with absolutely no complaints, great glass.

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

Last edited:
note: not trying to stir the hornet's nest here....

there are some quality scopes available for less than $600, even $500 bucks.

at 20x or close to it.

Super Sniper 20x42 http://supersniper.com/ -there is a new link that i don't have of the top of my head...

worth a peek:

http://www.sightwonders.com/

i have a WOTAC 10x42. it's great! you can search and read reviews using google [wink]

take a look at their falcon menace line.

lastly, Millet TRS (tactical rifle scope or long range rifle scope)

millet LRS: http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/lrs

Before spending this kind of money, I'd urge you to borrow a 20+x scope, or at least beg a look through someone else's; most of the time I find that at anything about 12-14x, mirage becomes a real issue.

Check out Sightron, I'm shortly going to be ordering a 6-24X50 S3 scope. I am basing this purchace on my experience with my 3.5-10X44 S3. the glass is clear and crisp and fit and finish is great.

Back
Top Bottom