• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best reloading manuals for beginner.

With the price and lack of availability of 223 Remington I've decided to start loading my own. I've got plenty of brass. Today Amazon delivered a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme (sounds like the name of a 70's Motown band). I've also got a die set, a neck sizing die and #10 shell holder. The idea is to develop some loads for my bold action Savage Model 10FP which has become my daughter's favourite as of late. I'm curious as to which manuals you guys would recommend for a beginner. I've read to pick up multiple manuals for cross referencing and am leaning towards the Hornady, Lyman and Sierra manuals respectively. Price is no object. I just want something I can use now and will grow with me as I gain more experience. Any suggestion from the gurus here on which manuals to start with?

I have the Lee, Lyman, Hornady and Sierra manuals. My go-to is the Lyman, but the Lee manual is hard to beat due to the sheer volume of data it contains.

FWIW the first manual I bought when I started reloading was the Lee and second was the Lyman. I think either is a solid choice to start with.

For load data don't be afraid to look online for information. Look at the sites for the projectile or powder manufacturer for info. You can often find projectile types that are the same (or close enough for typical NES accuracy) to get the job done.

Something else to consider. Invest in a quality powder scale early. A case of "buy once, cry once". If you're really new to this, try to figure out if you're going to go full monty, or if you just want to dabble. There are types of presses (as well as manufacturers) that cover a wide range of price points. I've been using a Lyman TMag II press my father bought in the 80's. It gets the job done and I don't need to produce hundreds of rounds an hour. You can always start with one press type and get another later.

As mentioned by sharona, reloading classes are (or can be) of high value to noobs. I've been reloading since the early 90's (learned from my father). Sure, I could probably pick up some tricks from a class, but the gain really isn't worth the time and financial cost to me.

As mentioned above. Load data can be found from so many sources for free online.
However technique is learned through the books and classes.
Lyman is awesome. So is Lee and Speer as all of those companies make or have partnered with companies that make bullet molds so they have plenty of data for jacketed and cast. That gives you the high end and low end loads and way more bullet styles to choose from.

That being said not too much has changed with reloading in a long time. So get some of the free old manuals online which are loaded with old bullet designs, loads that are no longer listed (most due to the fact that they have better powders for the application now and they see no need to push the envelope) along with obsolete cartridge data (plenty of those old guns still around) all while listing loads with probably 75 of the powders we still use today.

Welcome to the sickness.

I picked up some actual printed manuals/books a couple/few years back mostly because they had load data for newer calibers. Mostly for 300 Blackout (which was light or not present in the older editions). Now that I have that data, I can't see investing in another printed book for some time. Basically until I look to reload a caliber that's either not in the book, or I cannot find good data online for. Chances are slim for that to happen.

Keep in mind, these manuals (new/newer editions) can cost you some money. Old manuals are typically kept for historical data that's no longer in print. Start cruising for yard sales and see if people are selling any there. Just be sure to look through to see what data it has for what you're looking to reload.

I think the book that my father used was from the 70's. Back when he would load in a single stage press using a beam scale. Things have come a LONG way since then. But, the old methods still work. ;)

i use online data now pretty much 90% of the time. the hodgdon one i lean heavy on. i still break out one of my hard copy loading manuals on occasion, most likely when i'm looking for cast bullet data. i still have my first manual i ever bought, 45th edition lyman circa 1970. i still use that frequently. that book has a ton of information between the covers. i have the lyman cast bullet handbook too from 1978 that sees a ton of use. i'll pick up used and older books at shows or on ebay, etc. they sell for short money and round out the library. two things i don't get rid of...old loading manuals and dies for calibers i don't load for any more. you never know....

With the price and lack of availability of 223 Remington I've decided to start loading my own. I've got plenty of brass. Today Amazon delivered a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme (sounds like the name of a 70's Motown band). I've also got a die set, a neck sizing die and #10 shell holder. The idea is to develop some loads for my bold action Savage Model 10FP which has become my daughter's favourite as of late. I'm curious as to which manuals you guys would recommend for a beginner. I've read to pick up multiple manuals for cross referencing and am leaning towards the Hornady, Lyman and Sierra manuals respectively. Price is no object. I just want something I can use now and will grow with me as I gain more experience. Any suggestion from the gurus here on which manuals to start with?
Those are the 3 manuals I have.

Do you have primers and powder yet??

I personally started with the speer data book because it came with my setup, but have since added nosler, hornady, lyman and western manuals. I'm still keeping my eye out for some older books though...less 'lawyer data' and more real loads that I could get a chubby over.

Excellent choice with the rockchucker, btw...that's how smart people start reloading :D

I still have mine and use it often even though I have much more complex setups now.

I personally started with the speer data book because it came with my setup, but have since added nosler, hornady, lyman and western manuals. I'm still keeping my eye out for some older books though...less 'lawyer data' and more real loads that I could get a chubby over.

Excellent choice with the rockchucker, btw...that's how smart people start reloading :D

I still have mine and use it often even though I have much more complex setups now.
Yeah, I'm thinking single stage for learning and for the deliberate, slow and accurate pace for developing loads for a bolt action. A progressive will come later on, much later on when I decide to start making plinking ammo for my semi automatics.

I have ordered the Lyman book for starters and will give that a detailed read. Thanks everyone.

I’m also new to reloading. I bought the Lyman book and it’s a wealth of knowledge. It has a huge number of cartridges and also a lot of advanced info like casting data I’m not interested in. I use the Hornady app on my iPhone, it’s updated although things don’t change beyond a new SAMMI cartridge and that probably won’t happen again until 8.6. I like Hornady and it’s my opinion they are the leaders in ammunition R&D and an exceptional organization.

I should have noted the app is free and provides a lot of data. You can buy any single round for .99 cents or the entire 10th edition for 19.99. If you pay the 19.99 they will send you the 11th edition when it’s released this fall.

Last edited:
Reloading class will help you get into it a tad quicker. depending on location ?

Local library can be a great source of reloading manuals if you dont want to buy. Plus much data on line can be had. I was just turned onto sierra load data app.

i found this to be a good read. Although "old" not a lot has changed with "reloading" over the past 100 years.

Others i have are more for data
Lyman cast handbook, Nosler , Hornady all somewhat recent additions. Maybe a few years.
Videos - ammosmith and gavintoob have been good to watch . Also like iragvet8888 and early Hitchcock45

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm thinking single stage for learning and for the deliberate, slow and accurate pace for developing loads for a bolt action. A progressive will come later on, much later on when I decide to start making plinking ammo for my semi automatics.

I have ordered the Lyman book for starters and will give that a detailed read. Thanks everyone.

I have attached two manuals here. The first is the Accurate Manual #2. The second is the new version of the accurate manual, now retitled, and re-formatted. I prefer the #2 manual. Accurate #1 manual is also available for free, online, with a little googling.

Attachments

• ACCURATE #2 Loading Manual.PDF
    11.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Western Powders Handloading-Guide.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
I have attached two manuals here. The first is the Accurate Manual #2. The second is the new version of the accurate manual, now retitled, and re-formatted. I prefer the #2 manual. Accurate #1 manual is also available for free, online, with a little googling.
Thanks for that.

The best data will be from the manufacturer of the bullets you're using.
Thanks Jim. Bullets pickings were slim at the 2 gun shops I stopped at today. I did manage to pick up some Hornady VMAX 55gr 223 bullets so I will start with those. I also picked up some Varget and Accurate #2460 powders as well as some Federal and Remington primers.

When is your next reloading class or are they on hold due to Covid?

@vicpinto I have an app installed on my [Android] phone called "reloading assistant". It has a boat load of information available for load data. Not everything that's also found in books (or combination of books) or found online via forums (like NES) but good starting points. I use it, mostly, to determine which powders will work with what I'm reloading. Rather helpful when pickings are slim during crazy times.

Thanks Jim. Bullets pickings were slim at the 2 gun shops I stopped at today. I did manage to pick up some Hornady VMAX 55gr 223 bullets so I will start with those. I also picked up some Varget and Accurate #2460 powders as well as some Federal and Remington primers.

When is your next reloading class or are they on hold due to Covid?

Lmao, you scored Varget? Its been impossible to get for months, nice find.

Heres a older manual , the first 20 or so pages are packed with info, the load data is out of date but theres some data you wont find in modern books.

Last edited:
A nice bonus to taking Jim's class is the gear you take home along with years of hands-on experience and advice. Your safety as well as your daughter's depends on zero mistakes. Skinflinting is not something you want to do in this hobby.
I haven't run my press in years and when I get back into reloading will be taking the class just to refresh my memory.
Just my two cents.

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom