• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best practice/resources for snub nose accuracy?

Bought an LCR on Tuesday and have taken it out to the range two times and I want to improve my accuracy with it as it will be my carry gun.

If I aim and do a slow pull on the trigger I can keep it in the 7 ring at 21'.

So far I am practicing dry firing at home. At the range I did a bit of mixing live and spent cases in the cylinder to start to concentrate on avoiding any flinch or pulling the sights off during the trigger pull. I will have to get my 4" SP101 .22 to the range to practice some double action with no recoil, but haven't done that yet.

What other tips/drills do people have? Any good sites/books/videos on practice for snub nose dao revolvers?

I picked the LCR knowing the difficulty surrounding learning to be functionally accurate with a snub nose, so just looking to make my way along that path of learning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

belly gun, i just bought one too. practice at 3 yds . thats what its for, not 7ds plus

Balancing a penny on the barrel while dry firing can help. A laser boresight while dry firing keeping the dot aligned with the sights can help too.

I agree with Slap Shot- 3 yards, 5 tops. I myself would be more accurate throwing a snub nose at a bad guy.

the S&W BG revolver is amazingly accurate, even out to 25 yds-
use light reloads to practice more - with regular store bought ammo, it's like hitting your hand with a ball pien hammer due to the light weight

the LCR trigger is better by all accounts. doesnt matter you arent target shooting lol

the S&W BG revolver is amazingly accurate, even out to 25 yds-
use light reloads to practice more - with regular store bought ammo, it's like hitting your hand with a ball pien hammer due to the light weight

7 ring of what target?
Snub nose is up close and personal protection....
Practice shooting the snubby like you might use it....you really won't be squeezing of controlled shots.
I'm not a huge revolver guy.... although I have a SW 32 lemon squeezer from 1896 you think the "MA" 10lb trigger is bad this thing predates any MA BS with a grip safety and a 15# trigger. the only way I can get on target with it is as stated before just a roll or snap right through the pull.

Thats odd, I just typed it in.
Google hipowers and handguns, and the correct website will show up

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Weird because typing in that website directly or googling it works fine, but clicking your link going into redirect to malware.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/revive/www/delivery/asyncjs.php Failed to load resource: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
https://www.avantlink.com/link.php?ml=255985&p=7677&pw=9481&open=_blank Failed to load resource: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
vbulletin-core.js?v=422:1 This browser is AJAX compatible
data:application/javascript;base64,dmFyIHVyY2hpblRyYWNrZXI9ZnVuY3Rpb24oKXt9LF9nYXE9e3B1c2g6ZnVuY3Rp…:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token var
vbulletin-core.js?v=422:1 Firing System Init
vbulletin-core.js?v=422:1 Fire vB_XHTML_Ready
vbulletin-core.js?v=422:1 Fetch Cookie :: vbulletin_collapse (null)
vbulletin-core.js?v=422:1 Fetch Cookie :: vbulletin_multiquote (null)
321828-Best-practice-resources-for-snub-nose-accuracy:1 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/321828-Best-practice-resources-for-snub-nose-accuracy' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure script 'http://s.skimresources.com/js/11394X695101.skimlinks.js'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

Odd coding with a script on your link for no obvious reason

Omega42's link works without any issues.

Last edited:
7 ring of what target?
Snub nose is up close and personal protection....
Practice shooting the snubby like you might use it....you really won't be squeezing of controlled shots.
I'm not a huge revolver guy.... although I have a SW 32 lemon squeezer from 1896 you think the "MA" 10lb trigger is bad this thing predates any MA BS with a grip safety and a 15# trigger. the only way I can get on target with it is as stated before just a roll or snap right through the pull.
7 ring of NRA slow fire 50 ft target, didn't check the label at the top but I think that's what the target was.

I was also doing some faster strings of shooting but those were grouped low left so I was going through some slow controlled fire as a baseline. My goal is to get better at the "outer limit of usage". If I could get 5 shots in the ring rapid fire at 21' I would consider that a point of diminishing returns. For one handed practice I am definitely targeting practice 3-5 yrds and just being on the target close to POA.

Weird because typing in that website directly or googling it works fine, but clicking your link going into redirect to malware.

Odd coding with a script on your link for no obvious reason

Omega42's link works without any issues.
Maybe my phone has a virus and I don't know it. Im going to delete the link so nobody catches a virus. Ill have to virus scan my phone.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here's the link, note it's hipowers not highpowers.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

"Making the J-Frame .38 Snub Work" is a solid article. I recommend that one get familiar with the little snubby by practicing with mild loads, lead SWC or WC if one can find them. Start at close range, and then work your way out. The snub is a close range weapon but it is capable of very good accuracy in the trained shooter hands. Envision that you are trying to touch the tip of your nose with the tip of the trigger, this will help one from curling the finger, thus upsetting the sight picture. The desideratum here is a smooth pull and then release, using the joint of the pointer finger. I advise against staging the trigger because this is not realistic in a defensive situation.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Making J Frame Work.htm (this link was posted from my PC, not my phone, so it should be ok.)

Last edited:
Make sure you hold your cards firmly in your left hand when you bring your pistol up under the card table. Oh and don't shoot the piano player. Its bad luck.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Good thread.

I just watched this last night (lol):

GFA ArmsTek (downtown Natick) has .38 stripper clips (2/$10) and sub-$20 pocket holsters (kudos to whichever NES member mentioned it in another thread).

They also had a S&W Model 36 in the case for reasonable money.

LINK: http://www.gfaarmstec.com/hours.html

Last edited by a moderator:
"Making the J-Frame .38 Snub Work" is a solid article. I recommend that one get familiar with the little snubby by practicing with mild loads, lead SWC or WC if one can find them. Start at close range, and then work your way out. The snub is a close range weapon but it is capable of very good accuracy in the trained shooter hands. Envision that you are trying to touch the tip of your nose with the tip of the trigger, this will help one from curling the finger, thus upsetting the sight picture. The desideratum here is a smooth pull and then release, using the joint of the pointer finger. I advise against staging the trigger because this is not realistic in a defensive situation.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Making J Frame Work.htm (this link was posted from my PC, not my phone, so it should be ok.)
Good article! I read a bunch of others on there this morning, very good reads.
Make sure you hold your cards firmly in your left hand when you bring your pistol up under the card table. Oh and don't shoot the piano player. Its bad luck.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
This is the kind of tips I need to know!
Good thread.

GFA ArmsTek (downtown Natick) has .38 stripper clips (2/$10) and sub-$20 pocket holsters (kudos to whichever NES member mentioned it in another thread).

They also had a S&W Model 36 in the case for reasonable money.

LINK: http://www.gfaarmstec.com/hours.html

Thanks for the tip! I got some speed strips and a desentis nemesis holster off Amazon for $22 total earlier in the week.

All the dry fire practice in the world will do nothing to cure a flinch. You won't flinch when you know the gun is empty. You have to fool your brain into thinking the gun is loaded. Shooting a snubby is not easy. I shoot them out to 100 yards just for the hell of it. Ball and dummy drills are the only thing I can think of that will help cure a flinch. You can do them alone but it's much better if someone else loads the gun.

All the dry fire practice in the world will do nothing to cure a flinch. You won't flinch when you know the gun is empty. You have to fool your brain into thinking the gun is loaded. Shooting a snubby is not easy. I shoot them out to 100 yards just for the hell of it. Ball and dummy drills are the only thing I can think of that will help cure a flinch. You can do them alone but it's much better if someone else loads the gun.
Yeah that is why I did some repetitions of mix the cylinder with spent and live rounds and spun the cylinder then deliberately aimed. Caught a few flinches but then was keeping the sights fairly steady. Though the mystery was gone by the third shot as I knew what pattern I put them in and therefore what the last two rounds would be.

Good thread.

I'm not a fan of that style of point shooting. I think most people are much more accurate bringing the gun up in front of their face, even if they don't use the sights but instead use target focus. Also, two hands are better than one.

congrats on getting an LCR. i love this firearm. i think Ruger absolutely hit a grand slam with the LCR series. i got rid of both S&W J-frames after ~1 year of shooting the LCR.

i commend you for working on accuracy. keep shooting and dry firing it. the trigger is excellent for a revolver so i do not think it requires typical revolver "staging" of trigger for shots inside like 20 ft. furthest i have shot mine is 25 yards and can hit a 12" steel plate easily. for me this is sufficiently accurate for a snubby.

personally practice close range hip firing more than longer range shots. being able to draw and hit a target 2 feet away (or on top of you) is more likely to be useful skill than shooting at 25 yards.

two other mods that really make it a great carry firearm:

- big dot tritium front sight
https://www.amazon.com/Std-Dot-Tritium-Rug-Lcr/dp/B0035LVWN0

- ruger boot grip, drops 1oz, easier to carry and gets rid of the stupid finger grooves, doesn't snag on clothing
https://www.amazon.com/HOG-78050-TAMER-BANTAM-BOOT/dp/B00WGZID7Y

Last edited:
You could also purchase and try some diagnostic targets. They may help.

I'm not a fan of that style of point shooting. I think most people are much more accurate bringing the gun up in front of their face, even if they don't use the sights but instead use target focus. Also, two hands are better than one.

This is actually amazing to some that you can hit a man sized target well with out "aiming".
It's like when you take that shot with the beer bottle with out hesitation to the trash can and it goes right in.....then the focused or shots you try miss by a,mile.
Often you need to just let your mind do it. Once YOU start thinking things don't go as well...
It's on the lines of "lucky" shot.
Practice is key....I will chime in to say start close and work your way out. Have goals and do not advance until you make them...

snub nose accuracy?..practice???...Hell, just take a midnight stroll down Geneva Ave Dorchester or maybe through Chelsea Square, etc... you'll probably get all the target practice you need in just a Friday night...

Just sayin'

Back
Top Bottom