• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best portable for event comms

Good question. My initial researches show anywhere from sub-$100 to several hundred. Is it reasonable to think one of the Baofeng dual-banders with decent power would be a good place to start?

Good question. My initial researches show anywhere from sub-$100 to several hundred. Is it reasonable to think one of the Baofeng dual-banders with decent power would be a good place to start?

I have 3 of them, and they work fine. I have since upgraded to a Yaesu FT-60R and I like it much better. I got it on sale at HRO in Salem for like $160, I think.

Either way, if you are looking for a handheld radio to use while driving in that convoy, I would recommend a mag mount antenna for the roof of your vehicle and the required cable adapter for your handheld. That will boost your capability pretty well.

I have 3 of them, and they work fine. I have since upgraded to a Yaesu FT-60R and I like it much better. I got it on sale at HRO in Salem for like $160, I think.

Either way, if you are looking for a handheld radio to use while driving in that convoy, I would recommend a mag mount antenna for the roof of your vehicle and the required cable adapter for your handheld. That will boost your capability pretty well.

That's good thinking. I'll budget for a mag mount as well. I haven't had a radio in my truck in years, just the one in my shop.

I have one of these on my Cherokee, and before I installed a proper mobile radio, I had a UV5R wired to it and it performed surprisingly well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

Just tuck the cable into the weather stripping of your driver side door, no permanent install required. Just make sure you get the right pigtail for your radio, Baofengs use SMA-Female and most others use SMA-Male. I think. I would double check that before you buy anything and call me a lair.

I have one of these on my Cherokee, and before I installed a proper mobile radio, I had a UV5R wired to it and it performed surprisingly well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

Just tuck the cable into the weather stripping of your driver side door, no permanent install required. Just make sure you get the right pigtail for your radio, Baofengs use SMA-Female and most others use SMA-Male. I think. I would double check that before you buy anything and call me a lair.
Cool. Just have to find a strong magnet to hold it securely from the inside of my Jeep Wrangler's hard top.

What does your Elmer recommend?
What do you own now?
What class license do you have?

- My Elmer is a couple of states away and we haven't talked in a while [sad]
- I have an old Kenwood TM-D700 mobile (dual-band) that I use in the shop once in a while; it's not installed in the truck
- Tech - I got it back in the Morse code days and aced the written section for general, but didn't do the morse code. I'd have to do some reading up to catch up and get my general these days.

Not currently a member of a club, but I do fart around now and again. Should get back into it more heavily.

Last edited:
Since you want this for public service, consider one of the waterproof Baofengs. They are basically a UV-5R with IP67 rating. Every year I volunteer comms at the Boston Marathon. I bring a FT-60 and UV5R for backup. I haven't been rained on hard yet, but I'm bringing a waterproof Baofeng next year.

Last edited:
I second the Baofeng idea. I have used them for a couple events. Good range...even the UV82 can go a couple miles in the city type areas. Hlls will k ill distance obviously.

- My Elmer is a couple of states away and we haven't talked in a while [sad]

Bummer. Get him on EchoLink or something.

- I have an old Kenwood TM-D700 mobile (dual-band) that I use in the shop once in a while; it's not installed in the truck

Seems plenty fancy for a dual-band mobile rig.

My personal experience is that if you're drawing less than a dozen amps, for a special event, you can just plug the sucker into the cigarette lighter and you're good to go. I made a cigarette plug-to-PowerPole pigtail, so at worst I can plug any ARES rig into any vehicle.

- Tech - I got it back in the Morse code days and aced the written section for general, but didn't do the morse code. I'd have to do some reading up to catch up and get my general these days.

You were so close to getting grandfathered back as a General. However, the new FCC rules only recognize an old license - not a CSCE for a written exam that's older than a year. And this is despite the fact that there hasn't been a Morse requirement since 23-Feb'07.

But most people can't find their old CSCE's anyhow.

Not currently a member of a club, but I do fart around now and again. Should get back into it more heavily.

You'd probably find your activity would go through the roof.

73's...

Back
Top Bottom