• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best calibers for new shooters based on ammo availability

cathouse01

NES Member
Having spent way too much time on the TSUSA website and other ammo sites that ship to MA, I’ve determined that guns in the following two calibers would be the best ones for a new shooter if they wanted to be sure to have a ready supply of commercial ammo.

For a handgun it would be 460 S&W Magnum. 460 has the advantage of also using 454 Casull. Either or both of these have pretty much always been available.

For a rifle it would be .50 BMG. They few times it wasn’t available from TSUSA it has been available on several of the sites specializing in .50 cal.

So that’s it. New shooters should be getting S&W 460 XVRs and Barrett M82A1s.

You're welcome.

If you're going .50BMG for the rifle, why not also go .50BMG for the sidearm too? Kind of the same school of thought as "does it take Glock mags?", except replace "Glock" and put ".50BMG rounds".

6kVMGRQ-660x439.jpg

Agree on the .50bmg. At $3 a pop delivered, with a brand new ammo can and links it's a great price. You can't reload it for that these days if you are just now buying the components.

If you're going .50BMG for the rifle, why not also go .50BMG for the sidearm too? Kind of the same school of thought as "does it take Glock mags?", except replace "Glock" and put ".50BMG rounds".

6kVMGRQ-660x439.jpg
Yeah, I thought about that, the old PCC concept you know, but I didn’t want to seem excessive.

6kVMGRQ-660x439.jpg

The best part is... Every time you shoot it the gun will turn you 180 deg. so you can check your 6. [rofl2]

Back
Top Bottom