• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta 92a1

Joker_114th

NES Member
Looking for some thoughts on this,I Bought it maybe 6-7 years ago new maybe less than 600 rounds through a well lubricated gun,Here’s the problem this gun will not rack with a magazine in it loaded or in loaded ,however if I lock the slide back it will rack just fine any ideas on why????? It shot no problems when I 1st got it so I’m confounded….

Looking for some thoughts on this,I Bought it maybe 6-7 years ago new maybe less than 600 rounds through a well lubricated gun,Here’s the problem this gun will not rack with a magazine in it loaded or in loaded ,however if I lock the slide back it will rack just fine any ideas on why????? It shot no problems when I 1st got it so I’m confounded….
Have you stripped and cleaned it? Checked for broken small parts/springs?

when you say it won't rack do you mean that the slide won't move?

Have not stripped it yet and I’m not sure what look for,Have plenty of experience with glocks and 1911s but never taken a beretta apart,Not really looking forward to YouTubing it just wondering if somebody else ran into this ,I know it’s gotta be torn down to find the problem but looking for maybe a common problem…

Have not stripped it yet and I’m not sure what look for,Have plenty of experience with glocks and 1911s but never taken a beretta apart,Not really looking forward to YouTubing it just wondering if somebody else ran into this ,I know it’s gotta be torn down to find the problem but looking for maybe a common problem…
If you are close by I can take a look at it. I have disassembled a 92 down to the last spring, and reassembled.

What’s strange is it will rack with no mag installed in it so if I lock it open I can put a mag in and it seems to work fine

Something's grabbing the mag. You probably have something broken in there. The 92 is super easy to strip. Not too different than a glock. You unload it, make sure its unloaded, unload it again, then you pull the slide back slightly (you don't have to but it makes it easier) and rotate the takedown pin 90 degrees and it pops out. Then the slide comes right off.

All beretta mags it came with 3 - 10 rounders
Does it completely lock up or is it just serious friction holding it in place and you can overcome that?

My thoughts are if it were locked up on a full mag then why doesn’t it lock up once you fire and the slide is back forward between shots?

I could see the firing operation overcoming the friction but not a full lock up.
If it were friction interference you would think that there would be some serious shiny spots where the wear is happening.

You fired 600 rounds, had it for 6+ years and still haven't field stripped it? Not looking forward to it? Dude it breaks down to 4 parts. The frame, slide, barrel and recoil spring. It's not rocket science.
Go easy on the guy. He’s looking to better himself and solve the issue. It’s not his fault he stumbled on NES to do so.

Fair enough. Just surprised by the OP that he hasn't field stripped his gun in 6 years. How do you clean and maintain it?
I hear ya. I would have already taken it apart 50 times but not everyone does that. Some people wipe it down and lube it up and go.
600 rounds is relatively low. Thought I would prefer to clean it during break it, it’s not uncommon for me to go longer than that between cleaning especially on a well made gun that functions

Now this gun obviously ran into an issue. Is it neglect or a broken part? We will see soon.

It has been Field stripped and lubed/cleaned a plenty just don’t shoot it much cuz I have have quite a collection and I’d rather shoot other guns I like better ,this just happens to be the only Beretta pistol I own

You fired 600 rounds, had it for 6+ years and still haven't field stripped it? Not looking forward to it? Dude it breaks down to 4 parts. The frame, slide, barrel and recoil spring. It's not rocket science.

I used to break each gun down to tiny parts to clean it, or just even look at it.

Then I bought a Browning A5, and I got cured of that habit.

If you can send some pics of the internals, some of us might be able to diagnose more easily.

Someone may be able to recommend a shop near Rochester that would be able to take a look as well. Don't show up with loaded mags - if this still happens with an empty mag as you say, then bring it unloaded with an empty mag to the shop.

You can also give us some more info:
- Does the slide free up if the hammer is cocked before you try to rack it?
- If you lock back the slide on an empty gun, can you load a mag, drop the slide, and then rack it again or is it frozen at that point?
- Does the trigger feel funny at all in any of these circumstances? Is it "dead" as if the safety is on even if the safety is off?
- Does the mag release feel sticky or require extra pressure?
- Does this happen with all of your mags or some? Do your mags look like there is any wear around the slot for the mag catch?
- Do you see excessive wear anywhere underneath the slide?
- Anything else not working correctly or as expected?

Something's grabbing the mag. You probably have something broken in there. The 92 is super easy to strip. Not too different than a glock. You unload it, make sure its unloaded, unload it again, then you pull the slide back slightly (you don't have to but it makes it easier) and rotate the takedown pin 90 degrees and it pops out. Then the slide comes right off.
That’s my assessment also.

Back
Top Bottom