Benelli M4 MA compliance

My father, who lives in NH, is "gifting" me his Benelli M4. The current configuration has a pistol grip, skeletonized telescoping stock, and a 7 round extended tube magazine. Basically an M1014.

I'm trying to get this MA compliant before bringing to my gun range. I have a gunsmith who says he can pin the telescoping stock to a fixed position. And then he can put a 3" block in the extended tube which would cut the capacity in the tube to 5 rounds so 5 + 1 would be the total capacity.

I was reading the MA regulations on this below:

a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“

So a semi-auto shotgun with two or more of these items below is not Ma. compliant, but one is fine.SWould the modifications I'm planning bring this weapon into compliance? I'm not 100% sure about the "a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds." Is that 5 in the tube so 5 + 1 in the chamber would be okay?

Any help would be appreciated.

John

IANAL but I believe your father's M4 in it's current configuration has 3 "evil" parts - Stock, pistol grip and I believe the 7 round extended tube magazine would be considered "(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds".

So you could pin the stock and bring the tube magazine back down to hold the 5 shells (or use a dummy extension) and you would be good.

Or you could say F*** it and not comply. lol[smile]

Last edited:
I'm assuming the F' it stands for FELONY. Lol. That's my understanding. Any two of the "evil" components and i'm a felon if busted.

An option would be to switch out the pistol grip. I've never been a fan of them on shotties anyways. IMO extra shell capacity outweighs the use of a pistol grip. Unfortunately, unless you got an extra Benelli fixed stock laying around then it's going to cost hundreds to buy a new one. You might be able to find one used for less.

I'm assuming the F' it stands for FELONY. Lol. That's my understanding. Any two of the "evil" components and i'm a felon if busted.

Oh I have a good understanding of the bullshit laws in this state. Some people just don't care to conform and comply to them.[smile]

BTW: Awesome shotgun to score from your dad as well.

Last edited:
the part about fixed shotgun magazine capacity that i never understood is which size shells are we talking about?

from 3" magnum to the little mini shells, there's a huge difference. 5 rounds of 3" magnum could be like 10 rounds of minishells.

even if you plug the magazine to 5 rounds of 2.75", i can assure you i could fit >5 rounds of smaller shells.....so it's not specified and vague.

Thanks for the replies. So just to be crystal clear, i'm okay if the tube itself holds 5 plus one in the chamber 5 + 1 for a total of 6 correct?

I love the pistol grip so that's staying.

Thanks for the replies. So just to be crystal clear, i'm okay if the tube itself holds 5 plus one in the chamber 5 + 1 for a total of 6 correct?

Yes 5+1 is fine. Don't plug the mag, pin it. also pin the stock. I would make sure it doesn't hold more than 5 - 2 3/4" shells. Nobody knows about how the shorter shells play into this madness and nobody will care if you do what I said.

I have a Massified M4. Five in the tube, one in the chamber, and one on the carrier for a total of seven rounds. Google "ghost load Benelli M4" or "carrier load Benelli M4".
There's your seven rounds. [wink]

Last edited:
I have a Massified M4. Five in the tube, one in the chamber, and one on the carrier for a total of seven rounds. Google "ghost load Benelli M4" or "carrier load Benelli M4".
There's your seven rounds. [wink]

You need to be a god damned PhD to get that carrier load thing to work... I said **** it, I don't use it enough to ever care to do it.

You need to be a god damned PhD to get that carrier load thing to work... I said **** it, I don't use it enough to ever care to do it.
Lol. A little practice & patience.
[video=youtube_share;R8QeiMOlN0Q]http://youtu.be/R8QeiMOlN0Q[/video]

If it's the real Benelli adjustable stock (not aftermarket) it's worth a good chunk of change. I wouldn't pin it - I'd sell it and replace it with the Benelli fixed stock or the Mesa Tactical Urbino, then take the leftover money and buy a bunch of ammo.

EDIT: Looks like prices have dropped a bit (they were going for over $500 bucks a few years ago,) but it's still worth too much ruin it with a drill.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459588726

Throw an Urbino on and you'll still have like $100 bucks left over, plus you won't need to pay someone to destroy the original stock. (And honestly the Urbino is a better stock anyway.)

Last edited:
I put an Urbino stock on mine, I sold the collapsible. I also sold the 7 round tube and put the 5 rounder on. The money I got for the tube and stock more then paid for the cost of the 5 round tube and stock, with money left over to buy a good amount of ammo, YMMV.

An option would be to switch out the pistol grip. I've never been a fan of them on shotties anyways. IMO extra shell capacity outweighs the use of a pistol grip. Unfortunately, unless you got an extra Benelli fixed stock laying around then it's going to cost hundreds to buy a new one. You might be able to find one used for less.
I used to be a fan of a pistol grip on a (pre-ban) shotgun until I tried to reload it quickly in a shotgun match. The pistol grip got in the way.

If you can, switch to a standard stock and keep the extended magazine.

sheet man, GPP's SPAS-12 so far has been the only gun in recent memory to make me look like a total fool. god damn italian weapon.

(i still want one.)

Why did I think that was French ?

Thinking about it I don't think it was the m4 it was what ever there special 3 gun shotgun is. In my defense it was only the second time I ever fire a non saiga semi shot gun . Al's supernova I had no problem with .

Back
Top Bottom