• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beginners nite steel shoot, MVGC Dec 5th

clerk.mvgc

NES Member
Friday nite Dec 5th Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden will host a beginners nite for those interested in shooting steel. This will be for those that have never shot or have limited experience in shooting steel. All you steel sharks please stay home and let the newbies have a practice nite, unless you want to RO or help out, we we certainly welcome your help. We'll be running steel matches for all again, starting the first of the year.

This will be a no-draw, cold range event. 9mm or .38 spec or larger, NO magnum loads! You'll need at least 2 mags or speedloaders (more are better) and 150 or so rounds of ammo.

Add'l equipment and info can be found on our website www.mvgunclub.com , click on the steel nite star.

Please drop me an email if you plan to attend so I can keep an eye on attendance. We want to keep it so that all shooters get at least 5 or 6 runs through each of 3 stages (some rack, at least one multi shooting box stage.)

My email for RSVP or more info: [email protected]

Chris come down to MRA this Sunday at 12:30. There is a steel shoot going on and new shooters are always welcome. You will have a great time.

Sound's good. I'll see if I can make it this sun.

I dont yet have a belt mag pouch and i don't know if i will have time before the shoot.

also, as for ammo, can I use .45 FMJ Ball or do I need lead?

Anything else I need to get or know? It's a long drive to watch others have fun ;-)

Sound's good. I'll see if I can make it this sun.

I dont yet have a belt mag pouch and i don't know if i will have time before the shoot.

also, as for ammo, can I use .45 FMJ Ball or do I need lead?

Anything else I need to get or know? It's a long drive to watch others have fun ;-)

You don't NEED mag pouches, you can reload from the table.
I've been shooting factory (WWB) .45ACP FMJ without issue.
Come on down, have a great time with a good group of folks.
Hope to meet another fellow NESer Sunday.

OK, I just glanced at the regs I found on line and I thought you needed one.

I was not sure about shooting jacketed ammo off steel indoors at short range.

Sounds good, I'm 90% in (just got to check with the G/F) if we have any plans.

Bring the G/F too! We never seem to have enough girls at these shoots!

WM is right. You don't have to use mag pouches. There is no movement. You will be able to load off of a plastic table that you will be standing behind.

Also: it is $5 to enter for each gun you shoot. You can shoot up to two guns. Most who shoot more than one enter a limited gun and an open gun.

Make sure you have the standard stuff - eye protection, ear protection, and some kind of a pistol case or holster to transport the gun to and from the line. There is no handling of firearms except when instructed by the RO.
I would recommend 4 magazines. If you do not have 4 bring as many as you have. If you are using a common firearm you will most likely be able to borrow a magazine or two if needed.

Hope to see you there.

Last edited:
I'll ask her... i told her I'd take her shooting.

OK, I read the IDPA rules and thought there was motion and some other stuff... So it looks like I'm good...

One last question, I have two 1911's one is a little souped up full size and one is stock (but I have never fired it (just got it)) commander length. The souped up one seems to be legal except for the "oversize" Mag. release. Is that OK? If not I'll bring a Walther P99 9mm (only two mags though) for kicks...

I have 4+ for the 1911's...

Cases, glasses, ammo, money and muffs, check!

Yep Chris MRA = Mass Rifle Assoc. I used to shoot their matches years ago, good folks over there.

We'll be running steel and pins again regularly after the first of the year, Friday nites, at least 2 a month. We're alss going to run PPC again, probably on the alternate fridays. I'll post a schedule on the clubs website when finalized. www.mvgunclub.com

The first PPC nite will also include a short class before the match for those that never shot PPC before where we will go over the rules, stages, scoring, etc.

I'll ask her... i told her I'd take her shooting.

OK, I read the IDPA rules and thought there was motion and some other stuff... So it looks like I'm good...

One last question, I have two 1911's one is a little souped up full size and one is stock (but I have never fired it (just got it)) commander length. The souped up one seems to be legal except for the "oversize" Mag. release. Is that OK? If not I'll bring a Walther P99 9mm (only two mags though) for kicks...

I have 4+ for the 1911's...

Cases, glasses, ammo, money and muffs, check!

This event is real informal about equipment. It's pretty much optics/compensators go into open class otherwise its stock class.
I'll be shooting my 1911 and I'm willing to share mags if you need them.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks again for everything yesterday! Thanks for all the help and making me feel welcome!!

I had a great time short of the malfunctions. The Para is going back...

I'll be there for the AR shoot.

Chris

Chris-

Make sure you put the original spring back in it before you send it to the factory.

Glad you had a great time! Hope to see you with your rifle in a couple of weeks for the bowling pin match.

BTW: We totally hijacked MVGC's thread on their steel shoots. We should probably give it back and post in the MRA schedule thread. People looking for MVGC events shouldn't have to look through all of our babbling! Sorry bout that clerk.mvgc.

Last edited:
I'll try and make one of their (MVGC's) events to so as to stay on topic.. :)

transferring to correct post... Here

I used to go to MVGC every Friday night for a couple of years. I always had a great time. Sometimes it was PPC, sometimes it was VERY small USPSA type stages, and sometimes it was steel. I always had a great time and was bummed out when the the guys that put on friday nights decieded to take a break last year.

I'd like to stop in again once the restriction on "steel sharks" has been lifted. [wink]

I used to go to MVGC every Friday night for a couple of years. I always had a great time. Sometimes it was PPC, sometimes it was VERY small USPSA type stages, and sometimes it was steel. I always had a great time and was bummed out when the the guys that put on friday nights decieded to take a break last year.

I'd like to stop in again once the restriction on "steel sharks" has been lifted. [wink]

LOL Whitey, Ban lifted. We had about 25 "newbies" show up and shoot that nite, was really good to see the interest. They appreciated the chance to screw up without the more experienced shooters there to watch.

We're going to start the friday nite's again after the first of the year, too many Thurs holidays this year. We're going to run the Steel, PPC, some type of limited IPSC type stages. Gonna try to keep things different and fun.

And no prob on "highjacking" the thread, anything to further the shooting sports is cool with me!

Last edited:
25?!?

That is awesome!

I always try and make shooters who are new to action shooting, or shooting in general, comfortable so they can learn and enjoy themselves. I always hope they will catch the bug for the long term.

I remember what it was like to be new at the games. I was trying to shoot steel with a Beretta 92 - not the best tool for the job and on top of it I could not hit the broadside of a barn yet. Add on top of that all the experienced guys who were watching, a buzzer and an RO right behind me - it is nerveracking to say the least.

Lucky for me, the guys showed me the ropes and brought me to more advanced compeitions when they thought I was ready. 7 or 8 years later I am still shooting with the same guys, met a bunch more and I am totally broke from buying guns, equipment, reloading supplies, and match fees. I love it.

I have fun helping others the way I was helped in the beginning. Looking forward to a Friday or two in Malden this winter.

I hope to make the transition from newbie to average in short order ;-).

My main fear was not knowing the rules/strategy for the shoot and possibly feeling out of place. Face it, it's hard to engage in casual conversation with muffs on and the constant sound of blam-blam... So it's very help full to have people that go out of their way to talk to you, help you with the rules and offer advice.

Fortunately I'm far from new to shooting, so that part was not an issue.

Honestly, the buzzer, RO, my equipment malfunctions etc. had no effect on me. What would have, would have been a lack of friendly people...

It's nice to find guys like Whitey (and others) who are willing to and enjoy helping new guys out.

Now I'm itching to go again!!!

im bummed i missed the beginner night at mvgc. do you need to be a member to participate in the plate or ipsc events there? im a malden resident and this place is convenient for me. id love to join but the 300.00 dollar member fee is a little steep for me right now.

Our matches are open to all lawful, licensed gun owners. So long as you are safe and have the proper attitude and equipment, you are welcome to come shoot our matches.

Back
Top Bottom