Beginner fly fishing

Cluster F

USMC Veteran
NES Member
So I'm looking to try bringing a fly rod with me on some of
My fishing trips. I have no clue what I'm doing other than watching some YouTube. I'm not looking for anything expensive in case I don't like it or don't stick with it. I see you can buy kits off line or Ins tires for around $60. Might try one of these to learn or practice with to see if I like it. I would try to creek fishing and maybe see what's good to mess around with for bass. Any opinions? I tried Craigslist and stuff for cheap stuff but couldn't find

6wt or 7wt rod should cover what you want to do. I really like TFO for rods- IMHO best value on the market and all the performance you will ever need. I have some more expensive rods but mostly because I wanted them, not because they are significantly better than TFO. Get a top quality weight forward line- don't skimp here. Do skimp on the reel. For probably 99% of Eastern freshwater flyfishing, a reel is simply for line storage.

I suggest starting with small popper bugs for panfish. Fish in a pond or lake from a boat/canoe or dock with open water at your back. That way you can completely avoid catching branches or weeds with you back cast. If you can find a creek or small river in the open, that works as well. I suggest that you avoid line snagging tight cover for now.

The best advice you are going to get is, find someone to teach you how it's done. I tried to teach myself years ago, then one day I was working in Manchester Vermont and Orvis was having an open house. I got some free lessons and discovered I did almost nothing right. Right down to the wrong arm motion to cast.
I was so bad I was snagging grass from the lawn behind me. That and I cracked the whip way to often.

I would suggest going to a New England or RI fly tyers meeting. You will fid lots of nice helpful people who can help you learn and steer you in the right direction. I started out with LL Beans cheapest setup which was hard to beat for quality and price at the time 15 years ago. It is not a cheap hobby and you do have to practice. Never met an as$hole with a flyrod in his hand though.
http://www.newenglandflytyers.org/ or http://www.uftri.org/

Late to the party but it's all in the timing. I would say 5-6wt 8-8'6. Start with dry flies or a small piece of yarn tied on. They are easier to cast than nymphs/ beadheads. Also make sure you learn your knots. Also do not, I repeat do not pick the fly fishing only areas of the Swift river below the Quabin... the fish just lay there and mock you. Lol

Just picked up a Sage 590-4 kit 5 weight with reel and line. Never done it before. Always wanted to do it and since we had no ice again this year, figured I would get into it. Holy Shit!! This is worse than golf. And probably more expensive. Definitely need some lessons. Binge watching you tube videos now. There's some great info out there.

Just picked up a Sage 590-4 kit 5 weight with reel and line. Never done it before. Always wanted to do it and since we had no ice again this year, figured I would get into it. Holy Shit!! This is worse than golf. And probably more expensive. Definitely need some lessons. Binge watching you tube videos now. There's some great info out there.
I’m still super newbie at it. I can’t cast poppers for crap but man it’s so fun snagging some bass on top water with a fly rod.

It’s a good amount of fun. We go for trout but the reality is we go out just so the pile of cash in waders and boots doesn’t seem like a completely irrational purchase. In 4 years I don’t think ive brought a single fish to net

It’s a good amount of fun. We go for trout but the reality is we go out just so the pile of cash in waders and boots doesn’t seem like a completely irrational purchase. In 4 years I don’t think ive brought a single fish to net

I'm looking at that now. Didn't know the wader/boot technology got this far. Crazy expensive.

Orvis does some free seminars that can get you started. Once you get the physics of the fly line path, it makes a lot more sense.

My son started fly fishing a year ago pretty cheep. He's using lacrosse hip waders and hitting started last summer at local ponds for pan fish and bass. Started tying his own flies over the winter and that's a rabbit hole that's never ending as well 😂

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom