Beginner Archery for Child

Artie

NES Member
My 7 y/o daughter has all of a sudden showed interest in archery. I have never shot a bow and arrow and have no clue to equipment, technique, stance, the basics, etc. I would like to get her started but can’t afford to throw a ton a money at something she may not stick with.

What is the most affordable and practical way to get her into the basics so that we can decide from there if she wants to go further? Looking for opinions and advice. Can you recommend teachers, courses, classes, etc.? How much am I looking at spending for equipment, classes, etc.?

My gun club (Mansfield F&G) has a small archery range but I can’t teach her something I don’t know. I am in the Attleboro area and want to stay fairly local to that area for training. I found the following classes but don’t know if this is the best route. Thanks in advance

Ace Archers Inc.
508-697-5647
131 Morse St., Foxboro
www.acearchers.com

Bay State Archery
781-352-0643
55 Providence Highway, Norwood
www.archeryusa.com

Google for JOAD (junior olympic archery development). Many gun clubs and archery shops with ranges are involved in the JOAD program. It's basically a series of 8 week classes. If you don't want to buy equipment yet they have rental equipment for the kids (about $15 for the 8 week course if I recall correctly). 7 years old is not too young for the JOAD program, and don't let the "olympic" part of the name scare you. It's just kids being taught archery in a way that keeps their interest.

If you want to get equipment, the Genesis bow is a great starter. It looks like a compound but doesn't have any letoff. The main advantage is its adjustability. She won't outgrow it for years. For traditional recurve bows, the Fuse bows are an excellent balance between price and quality. My son has done the JOAD program at Big Al's archery for 3 years and the Genesis and Fuse bows are what they have for the kids to borrow.

check out X-Spot down by Cerrone. I know the owners there Jen and Al Adessi (??) are very good with kids and do a lot of work with our scouts. I believe they are also 2A supporters.

Thanks cockpitbob and EMTDAD, +1. Awesome info

Google for JOAD (junior olympic archery development). Many gun clubs and archery shops with ranges are involved in the JOAD program. It's basically a series of 8 week classes. If you don't want to buy equipment yet they have rental equipment for the kids (about $15 for the 8 week course if I recall correctly). 7 years old is not too young for the JOAD program, and don't let the "olympic" part of the name scare you. It's just kids being taught archery in a way that keeps their interest.

If you want to get equipment, the Genesis bow is a great starter. It looks like a compound but doesn't have any letoff. The main advantage is its adjustability. She won't outgrow it for years. For traditional recurve bows, the Fuse bows are an excellent balance between price and quality. My son has done the JOAD program at Big Al's archery for 3 years and the Genesis and Fuse bows are what they have for the kids to borrow.

check out X-Spot down by Cerrone. I know the owners there Jen and Al Adessi (??) are very good with kids and do a lot of work with our scouts. I believe they are also 2A supporters.

At that age, just get her slinging arrows. A fiberglass recurve with arrows can be had for short money. A foam target is cheap too. No further than 5 yards away and she'll be hitting the target all day. Have fun while building her confidence.

Something like the classes at ace archers would be a good idea I think. They say they provide equipment, so that way you can make sure does actually enjoy it before buying a bunch of stuff yourself.

At that age, just get her slinging arrows. A fiberglass recurve with arrows can be had for short money. A foam target is cheap too. No further than 5 yards away and she'll be hitting the target all day. Have fun while building her confidence.
I disagree with that - especially if you (Artie) don't know anything about archery. Maybe she will pick it up just fine on her own, or maybe she will develop lots of bad habits that will prevent her from getting any good and thus prevent her from having fun.

If you can get to Baystate Archery, do it. Anthony Bellitini is one of the top coaches in the country. Years ago I was an instructor for him at Archery USA. Rent rates apparently drove him from his old place and perhaps the previous name rights were sold.

He provides all the instruction to help the little ones hit the target, and does it so the kids keep interested in what they are doing. It really is a lot of fun.

I have to stop by and bend his ear. It's been a long time.

Back
Top Bottom