before ban question

Have two late 1980's pistols (walter & Ruger mark 2, Want to sell them, what would be my options as I don't have and reciepts, now.... Archer

Archer, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here!

Assuming that you are in MA . . .

- If you have no receipts, most dealers in MA won't touch the gun as the onus is on them to prove that the gun was "in state" on 10/21/98 and the AG accuses first (and sends demand letters for $5K/gun) and it is up to the dealer to prove that he isn't guilty!

- If you can remember roughly when it was bought and where you bought it, a few dealers MAY do the research thru the selling dealer to prove that it is MA-legal for a dealer to sell.

- As long as you have a LTC, your option is to sell the gun privately, then the date of in-state/when made/etc. is irrelevant. You just need to get an FA-10 form from your local PD and both you and the buyer must fill it in and you file it with the state. Just follow the instructions on the form.

- You are limited to 4 private sales/year using the FA-10 and no dealer involved.

HTH

And if you remember the dealer from whom you bought the gun, they've already got the necessary documentation in their files. You might also want to consider paying the $20(?) that the CHSB charges to send you a listing of everything they have in their records that you purchased in-state. If it's there, then you've got all the documentation necessary. [Personally, I'd redact everything else on that list before letting them have a copy; I wouldn't want my wife to accidentally get a copy. [wink] ]

Ken

KMaurer said:
And if you remember the dealer from whom you bought the gun, they've already got the necessary documentation in their files. You might also want to consider paying the $20(?) that the CHSB charges to send you a listing of everything they have in their records that you purchased in-state. If it's there, then you've got all the documentation necessary. [Personally, I'd redact everything else on that list before letting them have a copy; I wouldn't want my wife to accidentally get a copy. [wink] ]

Ken

Ken, a good idea but (for other readers, I know that you already know this) keep in mind the limitations of the CHSB database:

- If it was a dealer sale prior to 1986, they never computerized those records and threw away their paper records. Therefore you won't get what you need for proof this way.

- If it was a private sale (old blue cards) prior to 1998, NONE of those were put in the computer and the bird-shit covered boxes (I'm not kidding here) were all disposed of as a health hazard. Thus, this won't work either.

Yes, talking Mass here, also have a LTC. The dealer I bought weapons from, has been long gone-out of business.. So a form 10 will be ok, just wondering as didn't want "them" to come looking for me as I just don't have the receipts. Never sold privately before, this is why I was asking.. Thanks Archer

Just keep in mind, essentially all the restrictions posted apply to licensed dealers, not to ordinary mortals. If you're selling a gun to another MA resident, the only significant rules are that both of you have the appropriate license for the gun, that you fill out and submit an FA10 on the transfer, and that you do no more than 4 such transfers per year. Everything about the AG's safety regulations (940 CMR 16.00) and the EOPS approved list (MGL c.140 §123) only affect what licensed dealers are allowed to sell, not what you can possess, buy or sell.

Ken

Re: I'm confused

News Shooter said:
I recently sold three guns to a local gunstore and they never asked me anything about anything.

Only one of them was a pistol, but still they never asked

Many are like that. It's a huge hassle to do it right, not close to the value of the time vs. profit on selling a gun.

BUT the AG has demanded and received copies of all FA-10s at least once, then sent $$ demand letters for non-compliance to the dealers involved.

NOTE: The buyer info was redacted on the FA-10s given to the AG, so no buyers were threatened by the gestapo in this maneuver.

The dealer is playing with fire, and when he gets burned, he'll learn his lesson or hand over his MA Dealer License (a favorite tactic of the AG, in lieu of persecution) . . . and there is one less dealer in MA! Realize that there are either NONE or damn close to it, new shops opened in MA since 1998! So he whittles down the numbers, one by one . . . until there are none!

Back
Top Bottom