Bear survival?

GSG

I just read this news clip:

Hungry N.H. black bear chases man from tent
KEENE, N.H. — A Fish and Game officer says a hungry black bear ripped open a homeless man’s tent and chased him through the woods.

Officer Josiah Towne said the bear tore open the man’s tent near Route 101 yesterday morning and began eating raisins and other food. The man tried to fight off the bear with a shovel but ended up getting chased through the woods.

The Fish and Game officer later chased the bear into the woods. Police say the bear had been spotted earlier rummaging through bird feeders and trash cans in downtown Keene.

It's got me wondering, how do you keep this from happening if you're out camping? And more importantly, if you're in such a situation, what should you do?

Maybe bears can do what the liberal judges and homeless advocates have prevented the cops from doing.
Now if we could only train them to go after illegals.

And more importantly, if you're in such a situation, what should you do?

If I couldn't scare it off and felt that I was in danger, I would not hesitate at protecting myself. With a small black bear, the first defense might be to spray it, but anything of size is going to get shot.

Don't keep food in your tent.[grin] Then again we got way too many idiots in town thinking they are cute cuddly teddy bears.

Keep your food out of your tent, preferably in a tree in a bag. And if you find one that wants to chew on you, potent pepper spray is usually enough to make most bears think twice. I have been hiking for years, and have had bear prints around my tent in the morning more than once, and trust me they weren't there the night before. As long as you keep your food out of your tent you will be fine. But a large can of pepper spray is usually good insurance.
Kenny

Offer him a beer and make him a pet.

Keep your food out of your tent, preferably in a tree in a bag. And if you find one that wants to chew on you, potent pepper spray is usually enough to make most bears think twice. I have been hiking for years, and have had bear prints around my tent in the morning more than once, and trust me they weren't there the night before. As long as you keep your food out of your tent you will be fine. But a large can of pepper spray is usually good insurance.
Kenny

That happened to me once -- in a tent in Baxter. Absolutely the darkest night I've ever "seen" -- then suddenly, about 4 inches from my head outside the tent, very LOUD, DEEP sniffing sounds, with no souds prior to that to warn of an approach. Never felt a terror quite like that before -- so scared I was absolutely still. In retrospect -- exactly WTF I expected NOT to experience in Baxter is a mystery.

We always use the "Bear-Muda Triangle" technique when camping with the troop in bear country..... Basically you use 3 separate locations for cooking/eating, bear bag and sleeping..... This way you minimize your risk.....

Also, keep in mind that ALL things that have a strong odor need to go into the bear bag, not just food. This includes bug spray, deodorant etc....

Here is a pretty good link for bear bag basics........

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

Don't keep food in your tent.[grin] Then again we got way too many idiots in town thinking they are cute cuddly teddy bears.

And there it is...The perfect answer.

The bear, if it did indeed chase the man into the woods, could have easily caught up and killed him. The bear was likely driving him off from his food source. I swear, there's such paranoia around bears - especially black bears. It's odd how we tend to fear, (and sadly kill), that which we do not understand.

In addition to not keeping food in your tent, bear bag ANYTHING that has a smell to it, and not just the items in your tent, but at your entire site- chapstick, deodorant, dish soap, fishing gear, cooking gear/utensils, medicine, toothpaste, toothbrush, candy, etc.

When I'm in real black bear or grizzly country, I not only bear bag 100 yards from the tent, but cook 100 yards away from the tent too, and if I'm really worried, I place the clothes I cooked in (or fished in) in the bear bags too. Also if I was brushing my teeth (which I do religiously even in the woods!), I would brush near the bear bag and then bag the brush. Don't brush and spit near the tent.

If you're backpacking, a good procedure to get into is to find your bear bag branch before you even set up camp, get your rope up and tested, THEN go do your site set up. I use neon pink nylon rope for bear bagging, so if it was getting dark I could see the rope at a distance (instead of hanging camo green rope which tends to "disappear" even in twilight!)

More on Bear Bagging

Also- for bear bagging, don't just tie one end diagonally to a tree trunk! This is sometimes known as "skunk bagging" because it will keep skunks out, but that's about it! Bears will just walk up to the diagonal rope and break it.

Choose a thin but strong branch at least 10 feet from the trunk. Like in this picture-

bearbag.jpg

Another nice trick is to attach small carabiners to the end of the rope and to a tied loop on the other end of the rope (about 10-15 up the rope from the end- you'll understand why after you practice it), this allows you to attach stuff sacks without knots and makes it more likely you'll do it.

Also, when you toss the rope over first, TUG ON IT to test branch strength!!! You don't want the branch breaking in the dark when you put your bags up and then try to start over in the dark!!

We always use the "Bear-Muda Triangle" technique when camping with the troop in bear country..... Basically you use 3 separate locations for cooking/eating, bear bag and sleeping..... This way you minimize your risk.....

Also, keep in mind that ALL things that have a strong odor need to go into the bear bag, not just food. This includes bug spray, deodorant etc....

Here is a pretty good link for bear bag basics........

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

In addition to not keeping food in your tent, bear bag ANYTHING that has a smell to it, and not just the items in your tent, but at your entire site- chapstick, deodorant, dish soap, fishing gear, cooking gear/utensils, medicine, toothpaste, toothbrush, candy, etc.

When I'm in real black bear or grizzly country, I not only bear bag 100 yards from the tent, but cook 100 yards away from the tent too, and if I'm really worried, I place the clothes I cooked in (or fished in) in the bear bags too. Also if I was brushing my teeth (which I do religiously even in the woods!), I would brush near the bear bag and then bag the brush. Don't brush and spit near the tent.

If you're backpacking, a good procedure to get into is to find your bear bag branch before you even set up camp, get your rope up and tested, THEN go do your site set up. I use neon pink nylon rope for bear bagging, so if it was getting dark I could see the rope at a distance (instead of hanging camo green rope which tends to "disappear" even in twilight!)

Great!

I seem to recall that playing dead is your best bet if you do get up close to a bear, but that could be Hollywood influencing me.

Has anyone considered the possibility that this might be bear mating season???

Nope, no way. I don't care if my life's in danger, I simply refuse to have sex with a bear.

[rofl]

Rule one about bear survial... Bring a fat, uncoordinated friend and double knot your sneakers.

Maybe he just wants a handout ?

Give him some Government Cheese and Butter.

I have experience with bears, Ask anyone here. LOL

Bear.jpg

I just read this news clip:

It's got me wondering, how do you keep this from happening if you're out camping? And more importantly, if you're in such a situation, what should you do?

agreed. that's why i always take one of my kids with me when i walk in the woods. i don't have to outrun the bear. i just have to outrun them. besides, they're kids. i can always make more.

I would give you +4 for that, but I'm afraid I'd go to Hell if I did! [smile]

And where is your sense of adventure, nothing like a yearly bear run to get the blood flowing.

Besides, those cute lil' cuddly things won't hurt you, there was a guy on TV once that lived with them to prove it.[rolleyes]

And where is your sense of adventure, nothing like a yearly bear run to get the blood flowing.

Besides, those cute lil' cuddly things won't hurt you, there was a guy on TV once that lived with them to prove it.[rolleyes]

[rofl][laugh] You're starting to sound like my neighbor who swore there were no wild animals here where we live.[rolleyes]

I was getting into the car this am and 2 guys in a truck stopped and yelled there's a BEar in your back yard!!!!!! I replied yup they are known to do that, and continued getting the cat and myself into the car. lol

Back
Top Bottom