• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bear Hunting

Just curious if any of you guys are into Bear hunting and if so what you use caliber wise for this.

I was looking at buying a .270 Win rifle for deer hunting up north and was wondering if that would be adequate for bear as well. I currently use a 12 gauge shotgun for deer (thanks Mass), would this work for bear?

Thanks for the info.

Dan

.270 Win, 150 gr Fusion

Haven't take a bear with it, but from the information I've gathered, that combination should provide sufficient energy and penetration at the distances I expect to be dealing with (less than 100 yd). Although, I'd hate to miss out on an opportunity for a buck, so I'll probably be using the bow if I haven't yet filled a deer tag.

i bought a nice CZ, 300Win magnum.

see, the reason why i sue a 300Winmag is because one thing leads to another, first deer, then bear, then moose or elk, then a grizzly one day. so a 300Win Mag will take out any animal, and i wont need to practice with 3 or 4 different calibers. It can even take out a bison. (you can hunt bison at a farm in Maine)

now, as far as black bear calibers, anything that works for deer (except an sks, although that might work too) should work for a maine black bear. (a .223 wont work) i only know one person that uses a .223 to hunt deer. he should not be hunting.

there are some big black bears, but most of them weigh in at about 200lbs, 250lbs would be a above average, but you can find them. most of the bears you might shoot would be 200lbs or under.

I know a lot of people that use a Swedish mauser, that bullet is perfect for deer and black bear. They are cheap rifles, extremely accurate (many competitive shooting people use that caliber and rifle), they are all in really good condition, and ammo is pretty easy to find, since they still make modern rifles that use that caliber 6.5x55

if you wnat to talk to someone that uses a 6.5x55, go to Plymouth bay outfitters on route 3A, the skinny dude, he told me he uses a 6.5x55mm

In Mass shotgun is prohibited for bear just an FYI. I know other state allow shotguns for bear though.

For caliber choices you cant really beat a .308 or .30-06 for an all around hunting of black bear and whitetails. 150-180 grain is ideal.

I have to agree with what most people have said on here....I use a rem 700 30-06 with 180gr nosler partion for bear and since I hunt deer in NY I use the same gun but load 165gr nosler partion. This time of the year I would use a Bow for black bear cuz if I see a deer I'm gonna fill a tag. Like stated above shotgun is illegal for black bear in MA.

Broccoli Iglesias why to do say a .223 isn't good for deer and he shouldn't be hunting with one...I have killed 15 bucks and countless does using my AR-15 with 69gr bullets, I agree using a .223 on a black bear is a big no-no. I use my AR-15 in NY most of the gun season because it is lighter to carry then my Rem700 and I've dropped plenty of deer and have never had one get away from me when using the .223.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Article was a good read. I think that I am going to go with the .270 Win, seems like a jack of all trades gun/caliber and with the distances most shots are taken around here I dont see needing to hit more than 100 yards away.

In Mass shotgun is prohibited for bear just an FYI. I know other state allow shotguns for bear though.

For caliber choices you cant really beat a .308 or .30-06 for an all around hunting of black bear and whitetails. 150-180 grain is ideal.

Yes u can.300 win mag.

Thanks for that Article was a good read. I think that I am going to go with the .270 Win, seems like a jack of all trades gun/caliber and with the distances most shots are taken around here I dont see needing to hit more than 100 yards away.

re: .270 Win

I picked up a couple of boxes of Remmington Managed Recoil, for lighter game. After I dialed in the scope with the 150 gr loads, I tried some of the lighter loads for comparison. They're a LOT less punishing to the shoulder (something my torn shoulder appreciates), and POI @ 100 yards is quite close to the full loads. Once I'm done with carrying the rifle for bear season, I'll re-zero with the Managed Recoil, for predators.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_managed_recoil.htm

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/45316

There are plenty of larger bears around in certain areas. Around here there are many that will dress at over 250, not hard to find bears bigger than that. If the primary purpose is table fare, what you want to shoot is a nice young bear, less than 200 lbs dressed in size. Both guns you mention have more than enough wallop for that.

I have no experience hunting bear in the least, what is the maximum size you think that I could take with a .270 win at say 75 to 100 yards?

I shot some of the larger caliber rifles and they destroyed my shoulder, think that a .270 will be a little less punishing.

I have no experience hunting bear in the least, what is the maximum size you think that I could take with a .270 win at say 75 to 100 yards?

I shot some of the larger caliber rifles and they destroyed my shoulder, think that a .270 will be a little less punishing.

Did you use a sling and pull the rifle tight to your shoulder? How about a recoil absorbing butt pad, or one of these: recoil pads?? Proper shouldering technique and use of a good sling will really go a long way for shooting big bore rifles.

this might sound weird. But am i the only one that actually likes a nice recoil on a rifle?

every time i shoot a .22lr i feel like im shooting an airgun. I would rather shoot a mauser all day long. Specially an argentine mauser.

A .270 with a quality hunting bullet will take any avearge size bear you'll encounter in Ma.

Good information guys, I am a handgun guy so when I got my shotgun for deer hunting in Mass I didn't realize recoil stocks and pads existed. I have since done some investigation and purchased a few items to improve my quality of life while shooting the shotgun.

I may go ahead and potentially investigate a bigger caliber rifle based on my shotgun purchases.

Good information guys, I am a handgun guy so when I got my shotgun for deer hunting in Mass I didn't realize recoil stocks and pads existed. I have since done some investigation and purchased a few items to improve my quality of life while shooting the shotgun.

I may go ahead and potentially investigate a bigger caliber rifle based on my shotgun purchases.

on top of recoil pads, they make some pretty nice recoil absorbing stocks. Howda rifles come with it, but you can get the same kind of stock for almost any gun, and they have bests that have a built in recoil pad. So, if you add all three, you should be fine.

check out this link: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-205/Knoxx-Axiom-Ultra-dsh-Light%E2%84%A2-Rifle/Detail

its on a Remington 700, but they sell them for other rifles.

If you wnat to check out the stocks before you buy one (if you want one), there are a few HOWDA dealers in MA. one of them is Bass pro shop, so you can see what the stock feels like.

Last edited:
I went in Mass for bear for the first time this year, but the berry season, along with the apple season, came way to early, and before bear season. I picked up a Marlin Lever action in a 35 Remington that has seem to be a long time standard in New England. I do have a 30-06, but the Marlin is much liter, and at 60, I truly appreciate it. Did anyone have luck in 2009 getting a bear.

Back
Top Bottom