Bass Pro Shops or Cabels's...

FJM25

NES Member
I'm looking to buy a compund bow and all the accessories. Bass Pro Shops or Cabels's for selection, price and help pulling everything together and getting me on target?

My experience with Cabela's has been fair. Excellent choice of gear on hand but it helps to know what you want ahead of time, as the sales associates I've dealt with weren't of any real assistance in making selections. And as for price, there aren't much in the way of bargains to be had. They have just about everything on hand, and that's their real value, IMO. A good, local shop can probably get you set up better if you need the help. If you do go to Cabelas, try to get there when they're not too busy, and hope you deal with a knowledgeable salesperson.

Blue Northern in Ayer had a decent looking selection of bows when I was in there a few years ago (we were looking at guns). EddieCoyle can probably tell you if they are knowledgeable about bows, etc.

There are a few specialty archery shops in MA. I recall a thread about that way back in the early days of the forum. You might try searching "archery site:northeastshooters.com" in Google (take out quotes) is a lot better than using the vBulletin search mechanism.

KTP has a lot of archery stuff. Someone here might know if they are also knowledgeable too.

There is an archery shop in Acton, MA called Teepee Archery or something like that.

I can say that the guys over at the Bass Pro shops in Foxboro were really helpful and they have a great selection of equipment. Many of the bows they sell (Redhead and Bear) are fully outfitted for hunting, and if you want to change things out they can do it while you wait.

If you havent done it already you can sign up for the credit card which gets you points for additional purchases at BPS, it also gets you like 10% off of your first purchase.

I just got off the phone with Bass Pro and the person was polite, answered all my questions and seemed extremely knowledgeable in all areas archery related. Thanks for the input.

Neither, do not buy a bow at a big box store.

You dont know what you are getting for a tech. There are plenty of excellent archery shops in the state to choose from all with people who know what the heck they are doing and what they are selling and how to get you shooting correctly usually on the range at the shop. Cabellas and BPS are a pain to come back to with problems or questions, cannot correct problems in shooting form and many times dont even set up the bows properly.

Tee Pee already mention has a very good reputation, as does Archery Plus in Spencer, Bobby's in Webster, and Reedys in Middleboro. Teepee and ArcheryPlus are closer to you than foxboro or Cabellas. Brains archery in Rochester NH is also very well regarded and easier to get to than BPS.

You dont know what you are getting for a tech. There are plenty of excellent archery shops in the state to choose from all with people who know what the heck they are doing and what they are selling and how to get you shooting correctly usually on the range at the shop. Cabellas and BPS are a pain to come back to with problems or questions, cannot correct problems in shooting form and many times dont even set up the bows properly.

Tee Pee already mention has a very good reputation, as does Archery Plus in Spencer, Bobby's in Webster, and Reedys in Middleboro. Teepee and ArcheryPlus are closer to you than foxboro or Cabellas. Brains archery in Rochester NH is also very well regarded and easier to get to than BPS.

Although I did not make a bow purchase at Archery Plus, I can say that they were VERY helpful and informative.

Truer words were never spoken. Go to a local archery shop with a good reputation.

Bob

I'm looking to buy a compund bow and all the accessories. Bass Pro Shops or Cabels's for selection, price and help pulling everything together and getting me on target?

go to Kittery trading post. way better than cabelas or bass pro shop. Last time i went there, i bought a bow for my girlfriends B-day. There was an older guy there that was extremely helpful, and knew a lot about bows. My girlfriend never shot one, so he pretty much gave her a 30min lesson, and told her everything she needs to look for in a bow. (and didnt even try to sell me an expensive one)

Also, after you find what you want, if you want to buy online, do a google search. A lot of the times Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop are not the cheapest around.

Truer words were never spoken. Go to a local archery shop with a good reputation.

Bob

I second Arlows advice, spend a little extra up front and get a lifetime of good service. Regards to brands I shot Hoyts for years but bought a Mathews two seasons ago and don't ever see owning another brand of bow.

I bought a bow from TePee in Acton this spring, I was in 3 or 4 times trying out bows before I bought, never any pressure at all. I would definitely recommend them, you'll pay a little more than at Bass Pro, KTP, or Cabellas, but you'll get a good bow, and even more importantly it will be set up correctly. Brian at TePee came highly recommended to me and I was not disappointed. I know they sell Hoyt and Bowtech, not sure what else.

Big Al's Archery in Seabrook NH. Small shop, no frills, but the best service available. I've said it before: buying a bow from a big box retailer is like buying bread at the supermarket. Sure, its bread, and you can eat it, but the bread from the little bakery down the street is SO much better.

Chris

I bought my bow last year at KTP, I kind of went in blind not knowing much. There was an older gentlemen that helped me out, he spent about an hour with me explaining things and giving me all sorts of helpful tips. I'm very happy with the set up I got and the price I paid. It might be worth a trip to check them out

if your going down to CT cabelas, stop in at Hall's Archery. thats the only place we take our bows they are right in manchester CT.

The prices are about average-semi high but the staff is great

cabelas is alright they have specials and low prices but the staff really isnt the greatest. execpt for one guy at the CT store, cant remeber his name big&tall guy kinda long black hair

Halls guys certainly know there stuff! Olymic archers train there. If you do go there you can shoot the "techno hunt" Pretty cool stuff. A dark room with a movie screen that shows animal scenes that you shoot with special tips. The computer registers where you hit and scores it. Lots of fun!!

After much research and reading posts here, went to Big Als in Seabrook, NH. Dan and team and great people and extremely knowledgeable. I had a budget and they worked with me. I purchased everything needed and they are setting it up now. Going Wednesday to pick it up and shoot. Thanks for the input.

I ALWAYS prefer Cabelas. For me it is a bit of a hike to get to, but I find it to be much better than Bass Pro.

Back
Top Bottom