Bass Pro Shop - Hooksett, NH (February 19th, 2014)

Bass Pro Shops says to expect Hooksett outlet by year's end; town officials surprised

In a news release posted on the company's website, Bass Pro Shops, which specializes in outdoor recreational equipment and apparel, said it would open a 149,000-square-foot store by the end of 2013.

Once again, Hooksett planning board members show their hubris:
"I don't know anything about it," Town Planner JoAnn Duffy said Friday night. "I'm shocked, but happy and I hope it's true. We would welcome them with open arms."
. . .
"They would have to come to us," Duffy said of Bass Pro Shops. However, "I haven't seen anything.

"That's why it's odd that they would go ahead and send something out," she said.

Planning Board Chairman John Dyval Jr. said he also didn't know anything about the store's opening.

Bass Pro Shops and the town were involved in discussions several years ago about opening a store in Hooksett, but those talks died out in 2009. Town officials hadn't heard from the retailer since then.

Duffy said construction of a new building would mean at least a four-month planning review process before a groundbreaking could happen. That would put construction starting no earlier than mid-summer, she said.

"I don't think they could build something that large that fast," she said. "The only thing I can think of would be (moving into) the Lowe's store."

Last edited:
Do you think they will get a little more love than Cabela's did?

The Hooksett town boards saw both Bass Pro and Cabela's as potential cash cows to be milked for lots of "improvements" in the area and fee's for "new development". They wanted extra roads, traffic lights, extensions to utilities (beyond the store) paid for by the stores. Both companies declined.

If it's a remodel of an existing facility- they avoid all that crap. Plus the base structure is there, just have to remodel. Cheap in comparison.

The Hooksett town boards saw both Bass Pro and Cabela's as potential cash cows to be milked for lots of "improvements" in the area and fee's for "new development". They wanted extra roads, traffic lights, extensions to utilities (beyond the store) paid for by the stores. Both companies declined.

If it's a remodel of an existing facility- they avoid all that crap. Plus the base structure is there, just have to remodel. Cheap in comparison.

This is fairly common everywhere, I opened a store in Hooksett 15 years ago and it was the same, I had to pay for a new traffic light on an intersection 2 blocks away.

Nice. Although I do enjoy a few trips to Scarborough each year, it will be nice to drive less than 45 min. and not pay ME tax for basically the same thing.

Bass Pro Hooksett opening "for they year's christmas season, bringing 250 jobs.

The April article and the recent May editorial in the Union Leader offer a little more info, you can still feel the ire oozing from the planning board on how Bass Pro did an end-around their petty power plays. Now the town planner is bringing up the "restrictions on what can locate in a groundwater conservation district". They drove away Cabela's with this kind of BS.

Bass Pro is already posting job openings.

UL said:
"Lowe's still has the contract with the owner of the land, and my understanding is that, at least in the short term, Bass Pro is going to be sub-leasing from Lowe's," said Hooksett Town Administrator Dean Shankle.
. . .
The 140,000-square-foot store is scheduled to open in time for this year's Christmas season.
. . .

"Almost 10 million people live within a 100-mile radius," said Mitchell.

She said Bass Pro Shops are filled with items that reflect the area they are located in.

"No two are exactly the same," said Mitchell. "They are all patterned after the uniqueness of a particular area."

. . .
Bass Pro Shops, headquartered in Springfield, Mo, have made their brand combining retail, conservation, entertainment, and education. Also featured at the Hooksett store will be an "expansive" boat showroom, as well as "historic photos" and exhibits paying "tribute to the region's great outdoor heritage."

Here's the best part, from May:
UnionLeader said:
By all accounts, Bass Pro Shops decided that the Lowe's store was a great site and contacted the town about obtaining it. That is what big, national businesses do. The idea that little towns need to lure them with lavish incentive packages is a conceit of small-town officials that is not supported by the evidence.

Artist's rendition:
2gx2q6u.jpg

Damn. Another store with guns in Hooksett? Will the seacoast ever get any love?
NO! [smile]

The April article and the recent May editorial in the Union Leader offer a little more info, you can still feel the ire oozing from the planning board on how Bass Pro did an end-around their petty power plays. Now the town planner is bringing up the "restrictions on what can locate in a groundwater conservation district". They drove away Cabela's with this kind of BS.

I hate power drunk a holes in small towns or any place for that matter.

02/19/2014 18:00:00

Was driving up US-3 yesterday, saw a big new billboard "Bass Pro shops - Hooksett -- Coming Soon".

Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014 at 6PM. Looks like the best source for details is Facebook?

WMUR said:
"Our store will open with An Evening of Conservation on Feb. 19 at 6 p.m. That night, we will have a ribbon cutting ceremony complete with state dignitaries, captains from the TV show 'Wicked Tuna,' Jimmy Houston, Fish and Game color guard, and of course our owner, John L. Morris," said Pope.

In a statement, Morris, the company's founder, said, “We are very excited to bring Bass Pro Shops to this premier site in Hooksett and to be a part of this great community.”
. . .
Pope noted that on opening day, 50 cents of every dollar spent that night will be donated to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation's "More Fish" campaign.
There's a similar article on the BassPro website.

50 cents of every opening night dollar will be donated to NFWF

NH is not yet available in the "Free ship to store" dropdown. There is a new article on the website. On opening night, 50 cents of every dollar spent will be donated to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation's "More Fish" campaign.

do they have any 22lr? (someone had to say it!)
None after February 19th [smile]

If they can literally drive more traffic to [thread=160960]Wicked Weaponry[/thread] and their neighbors in Hooksett, I'm all for Bass Pro's outrageous prices.

Updated

Bass Pro Shops opening mega Outdoors Store in Hooksett, (Manchester) New Hampshire

Hooksett, New Hampshire -
Bass Pro Shops, has built a new store in Hooksett (Manchester), New Hampshire. The mega 149,000 square-foot Bass Pro Shops Sportsman’s Center will be located at the intersection of I-93 and I-293. Grand Opening Thursday Feb 20, 2014 at I-93's Exit 10 in Hooksett

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bass-Pro-Shops-Hooksett-NH/517515481661610

It would be great to have either one of these companies come to Hooksett, just to see Jim McCloud sweat a little.

I can tell that you've never been in a BP!

Jim will laugh his ass off.

BP handgun prices are typically $100-150 higher than everyone else in MA. I doubt that their NH prices will be any better.

Last edited:
Well it's really not out of the way for for a Rileys-Shooters loop. But I do so well at those two stores I may not even stop...

BP certainly does! I corrected my post. At $100-150/gun higher than any gun shop, they are certainly making a profit on handguns!

They aren't going to sell a whole line of products that they aren't making a profit on, that's just stupid. Its not like printers where they give you the printer for less than cost because they know you have to buy the ink from them.

Their ammo prices suck as much as their gun prices, generally. And that assumes they have any ammo in stock, which generally has been tough to find in Foxboro at any price.

Back
Top Bottom