Basics at a decent price point?

I've never reloaded before, but with .35 Remington, seems to be a necessity to learn. What basic equipment should I be looking for to reload this cartridge. I know I probably won't find most of what I need in stock or at a crazy price gouge, but I'm not in a rush either, I can wait to look around, as I have 4 boxes of ammo and that should last me a bit. So ignoring whether I can find it or not, what would you recommend I keep an eye out for to eventually start reloading? Not looking for pro quality, as I probably won't reload too often, but not looking for bottom of the barrel either, just a good bang for the buck.

If you are in no rush.....hang out on craigslist and Facebook marketplace. Most of the spectacular deals are gone, but you can still pick up stuff cheaper than retail if you can afford to be patient. I'd also say estate sales are good places to look, but I've never seen too much stuff like that around here.

I've never reloaded before, but with .35 Remington, seems to be a necessity to learn. What basic equipment should I be looking for to reload this cartridge. I know I probably won't find most of what I need in stock or at a crazy price gouge, but I'm not in a rush either, I can wait to look around, as I have 4 boxes of ammo and that should last me a bit. So ignoring whether I can find it or not, what would you recommend I keep an eye out for to eventually start reloading? Not looking for pro quality, as I probably won't reload too often, but not looking for bottom of the barrel either, just a good bang for the buck.
I just did this with my friend
When he was looking for 35 rem and 30-30 last year I found him some for $1.85 rnd it recently came back in stock for $2.25- that put him over the edge

Anyway 35 cal bullets where a bit tough to find but ask enough people and you will.

I ordered him Lee die sets for 35 rem and 30/30 plus the Lee Classic loader in 30/30 to stuff in his camp bag , small lee press , hand prime tool
Roundered up some powder and primers
Powder was Hodgdon Revolution in stock at the time $32/1lb he bought 2
Primers $100/1000
Brass Free
Bullets found the 150gn flat points on sale for $35/100 and some 35 rem bullets for $30/100 from a private sale.

The Lee die sets 30/30 , 35 rem
Breach lock press, hand primer , and powder measure and a few extra nreach locks where under $200

He picked up a case prep center IIRC it is the frankfort arsenal

A scale and dial calipers

Hes now makinh his own ammo tuned to his rifle and can make what ever he wants from cheap cast plinkers to High velocity light bullets to heavy hitting rounds.
With out being stuck with whats on or not on the shelf.

So now he can load 35 ir 30/30 for less than 50 cents. He also bought some fancy Baliatic tip bullets for .50 cents each but the ammo he likes with those bullets are now close to $3/rd

Last edited:
I just did this with my friend
When he was looking for 35 rem and 30-30 last year I found him some for $1.85 rnd it recently came back in stock for $2.25- that put him over the edge

Anyway 35 cal bullets where a bit tough to find but ask enough people and you will.

I ordered him Lee die sets for 35 rem and 30/30 plus the Lee Classic loader in 30/30 to stuff in his camp bag , small lee press , hand prime tool
Roundered up some powder and primers
Powder was Hodgdon Revolution in stock at the time $32/1lb he bought 2
Primers $100/1000
Brass Free
Bullets found the 150gn flat points on sale for $35/100 and some 35 rem bullets for $30/100 from a private sale.

The Lee die sets 30/30 , 35 rem
Breach lock press, hand primer , and powder measure and a few extra nreach locks where under $200

He picked up a case prep center IIRC it is the frankfort arsenal

A scale and dial calipers

Hes now makinh his own ammo tuned to his rifle and can make what ever he wants from cheap cast plinkers to High velocity light bullets to heavy hitting rounds.
With out being stuck with whats on or not on the shelf.

So now he can load 35 ir 30/30 for less than 50 cents. He also bought some fancy Baliatic tip bullets for .50 cents each but the ammo he likes with those bullets are now close to $3/rd

A lot of presses on sale and in stock at Midsouthshootersupply
I got the APP and the swage kit based on their prices....will report back with results. I plan on using it for depriming and swaging.

$10 to ship, so it wasn't egregious.

I got a Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press from another member here, planning to get the lee auto-drum to go with it and the pacesetting die set....there are 3 dies in it, Lee Factory Crimp Die, Full Length Sizer Die and Bullet Seater Die, so I would need the lee powder charging die as well is what I'm assuming, which would make up the 4 spots on the turret. Would I need any other dies for any reason? I'm planning on looking into some scales as well and I've been looking at some Mitutoyo Calipers....are those worth the extra like $40 over an Amazon dial caliper?

I got a Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press from another member here, planning to get the lee auto-drum to go with it and the pacesetting die set....there are 3 dies in it, Lee Factory Crimp Die, Full Length Sizer Die and Bullet Seater Die, so I would need the lee powder charging die as well is what I'm assuming, which would make up the 4 spots on the turret. Would I need any other dies for any reason? I'm planning on looking into some scales as well and I've been looking at some Mitutoyo Calipers....are those worth the extra like $40 over an Amazon dial caliper?
If you will be loading cast bullets, an expanding die to expand the case mouth so it doesn't shave off any of the bullet while seating.

I like my Mitutoyo calipers. But I tend to buy better tools out the gate...buy once, cry once. I've read that Amazon has had issues with knock-off/fake Mitutoyo calipers every so often, so I bought mine from Global Test Supply.

I'm not all that impressed with the autodrum over the autodisk but I have a printer and print my own custom disk inserts.
If you aren't going to buy a good set of calipers then go for a cheap Harbor freight pair (they are pretty much all from the same chinese factory).
Mitutoyo are worth paying extra if you take care of them but cheap ones will do what you need for reloading.

Take a trip to Connecticut......guy wants $125 (but no calipers):

Take a trip to Connecticut......guy wants $125 (but no calipers):

Wow, that price seems TGTBT, I'm sure someone closer than me will scoop that up in a heartbeat though.

It does appear to be a deal, if true.
Deep River is just west of the Connecticut River, North of Old Saybrook.
See me for an RCBS caliper; it's a spare set.

Wow, that price seems TGTBT, I'm sure someone closer than me will scoop that up in a heartbeat though.
You would be surprised. Someone in Vermont last week had a full setup with a Dillon and two other presses, projectiles and everything else you could imagine for $500. I ended up talking to him and found out his dad had passed away. They are just trying to clear everything out. Someone else got there before me, though.

I don't know much about Dillon presses, but this looks like one of their non progressive presses. At $150 it's worth a look for someone

not that you asked me, here's what i'd do in your position...find a friend that reloads and ask them if you provided the dies, cases, primers, projectiles and powder, would they reload the above mentioned .35 rem for you. work out a deal. if 4 boxes are going to last you "a bit" why bother to go through the expenditure of the initial set up. if you are not really going into crank out mode, why bother? just sayin.

not that you asked me, here's what i'd do in your position...find a friend that reloads and ask them if you provided the dies, cases, primers, projectiles and powder, would they reload the above mentioned .35 rem for you. work out a deal. if 4 boxes are going to last you "a bit" why bother to go through the expenditure of the initial set up. if you are not really going into crank out mode, why bother? just sayin.
This is a option
My friends dad uses my press every few years to load up a bunch of 45/70 for Silhouette matches. Also cast his bullets for him and he usually hooks me up with extra primers / powder or will leave a gift on the bench.

There's a NIB Lyman T-Mag II press with the works at M&B Sports for $350. You can get a used die set (8mm Mauser, .40 S&W/10mm, or .44 Spl/Mag) thrown in with purchase.

"Lyman T-MG II complete set for reloading, Reload Press, Scale, Case Trimmer, Lube Kit, Powder Measure, Primer Feed & Tray, Funnel and Decap Pins All new in Box.

Midway Price $415 Buy now at $350
"

Back
Top Bottom