Basic holster, mag holders etc for USPSA Update in OP: Bought

Update: He ended up with a nice competition belt and mag holders for free due to the generosity of a fellow NES'r here. I ended up ordering a Comp Tac holster for him. I looked at most of the sites and recommendations and found many did not have a holster for a G34/35 or they used a holster that allowed the barrel end of the gun to protrude past the end of the holster. Also, many did not sell left handed holsters. I ordered the competition kit with the included mag pouch as I figure he can use the mag pouch and one of the other ones or both of the originals and move the Comp Tac holder to range duty if he so wishes (that and I am a sucker for bundled "savings").

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. Soon as it comes in we expect to be visiting Harvard on Wednesdays.

My son now has a G35 (Christmas) and he wants to shoot USPSA Production with it.

He is on a limited budget as I told him he has to buy his own holster and mag pouches as well as belt.

I wanted to get recommendations for a left handed holster for him that wont be too costly and at the same time still be safe.

Any recommendations on a belt also?

Thanks

Last edited:
I used a Fobus holster and duel mag pouches when I first started shoot USPSA single stack. Holster was about $25.00 and mag pouches $20.00. That's off the top of my head. For a belt, look into a Wilderness Tactical, 5 stich web belt in the $35-40 range.

TALON TACTICAL

Holster -$13 less than Ready Tactical

Mag Holders-$5 each less than Ready Tactical

Quality=Excellent as is RT
Shipping=free with $100 order

Mike is a great guy to deal with. I have used his products as long as he has been making them and have NEVER had an issue of any kind.

As for belt, I have not seen his belts but due to my experience with other products, I would not hesitate to buy one.

For USPSA you will need 5 mag holders, holster, and I prefer a CR Speed or similar belt.

I have seen more gun dropped because of this holster than any other. I used one for about a year when shooting L-10.

As mentioned above. A fobus or uncle mike will get him started

Never fell out on me but it did kind of slip out once (but I caught it) when I went to draw in haste. Not saying your observation isn't valad but it can happen with almost any unlocked speed holster during a draw. If it falls out because you forgot to lock it then it's the users stupidity.

Never fell out on me but it did kind of slip out once (but I caught it) when I went to draw in haste. Not saying your observation isn't valad but it can happen with almost any unlocked speed holster during a draw. If it falls out because you forgot to lock it then it's the users stupidity.

With holsters like the Ghost, then gun still needs to come up, before it is released. You can come down much more aggressively without out worrying about knocking it out. the main point of retention when unlock is still at the trigger guard. With the hogue, the retention is the magnets at the barrel. I can walk around with a ghost holster, bend over and pick up steel with the holster unlocked, it won't come out. With the hogue it will fall out.

Just to throw in my 2 cents:

I've got a Belt Holster and 4 mag carriers from Comp-Tac that have served me well so far this year. http://www.comp-tac.com/

I've got a couple of the CPWSA (mentioned above) mag carriers for my AR-15, they are pretty nice too, but lack the tension adjust-ability of the Comp-Tac carriers. Based on the construction, materials (yes both kydex but the Comp-Tac stuff feels more solid), and adjustability I prefer Comp-Tac.

My belt is a Wilderness Tactical easy fit Instructor model. It's held up well for daily use and is solid on the range too.

I have had good luck with a Bladetech for my Sig in Production.I It's pretty fast and very secure. I just BOught another for my CZ. Cant go wrong with CRSpeed mag holders and belt

Damn, I guess his idea of basic and lower priced is not going to happen. $40 mag pouch (single) is not gonna happen either I think.

Maybe the Bladetech holster / mag pouch combo for $100 is his best bet at this point. Most of the cheaper stuff seems to let a 35 hang out the end of the holster or not fit a 35.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming. Especially anything that a lefty needs to know (besides that a 3rd gen Glock is gonna be a pain to manipulate) I need to find a lefty to teach him proper clearing / manipulation of the slide as my instruction tends to go strange when I swap hands. Last thing I want to do is bring him home to his mom with a hole in his hand....

Last edited:
How old is your son? Is he just getting started?
And what is his waist size?

I have a set up that he can get on the cheap (free). It is a Safariland competition inner and outter gun belt with two leather double mag pouches. I was also going to include an ITAC holster for a glock but it is a right hand so it's a no go for him. The belt and holders are in decent shape. If you want them just let me know. Fits a 32 to 36" waist. Then all he will need to get started is a holster.

Last edited:
There is a guy on glock talk: tactical kydex. He makes/sells kydex mag pouches. Last time I purchased they were $20 or $22 shipped for two single pouches. I had them for a Sig P6 and my M&P. They aren't as ice as nice as the Comp-Tac or Ready Tactical but get the job done for 1/2 the $.

I need to find a lefty to teach him proper clearing / manipulation of the slide as my instruction tends to go strange when I swap hands. Last thing I want to do is bring him home to his mom with a hole in his hand....

Send a message to Cuz here on the forum. He shoots a Glock with the wrong hand too [laugh]

How old is your son? Is he just getting started?
And what is his waist size?

I have a set up that he can get on the cheap (free). It is a Safariland competition inner and outter gun belt with two leather double mag pouches. I was also going to include an ITAC holster for a glock but it is a right hand so it's a no go for him. The belt and holders are in decent shape. If you want them just let me know. Fits a 32 to 36" waist. Then all he will need to get started is a holster.

Thanks for the generous offer, he is just starting out with anything competition wise but has shot with me for the last 3 years. PM sent

It might be more than you wanted to spend but it is worth every penny if you buy a good competition belt. I use CR Speed. An additional benenfit is you can use the outer belt only threaded through your pant loops and you've got an awesome, and legal, IDPA belt.

Edited to add: Make sure that whatever mag pouches you buy you can adjust them for retention. This is more important than you'd think.

Last edited:
Ahhhh... like good beers, everyone likes different ones. I love Comp-Tac holsters- I never liked the dropped offset personally... just the plain straight ones. DON'T buy the paddle mounted holsters.

I love and use the Ready Tactical mag pouches for my Glock. Why? They are "auto tensioning" with the wonderful kydex technology! Why is this important? Because after a while the Glock mags' sizes change a tad wrt thickness. If you buy some of the adjustable pouches- many of the ones posted are great, including Comp-Tac's, however you will find yourself repositioning your mags to fit just right in the various positions.

A good belt, whichever you use, is important also. However if budget is an issue- use a sturdy leather belt if you have one.

Like anything else- it depends how competitive your son gets/is. I've seen people with horrible draws... only because the equipment is so loose/poor. No RO wants to see someone struggling with the draw either.... YMMV.

I use the same holsters i carry with. A De-Santis leather hip holster. But, i am switching over to x-concealment holsters, which are great.... also made in the USA and cheaper. Especially if you are an NRA member. I would not skimp on a holster that you will be drawing out of and re-holstering on a regular basis.

For mag pouches, I use Glock's. They are super cheap, and they work phenomenal. Comfortable to ccw with as well.

I started USPSA last year and picked up the standard "starter" setup for my USP:
Uncle Mikes Kydex (no locking mech): $24
(2) couple Fobus double mag pouches: $42
a Bianchi nylon belt: $30

I didn't like the Bianchi belt with it's giant plastic buckle and after my first match learned why everyone runs a underbelt setup. The holster and mag holders got the job done but I got a CR Speed belt setup ($55) which is vastly superior to the Bianchi. I'm sure there are others around on the forum here that have starter gear they don't use anymore that they'd sell you on the cheap....I'd offer my set by I'm keeping it as a loaner for when I try to get friends addicted to USPSA.

Uncle Mike's holsters are a great place to start. Good quality for short money. Blade Tech holsters are excellent, but I don't think that they are worth the extra $. I have both brands. Mag pouches can be easily made with some 1/8 in thick Kydex and a heat gun.

The belt is where you don't want to cut costs. A solid belt is absolutely necessary; without it you wil have nothing but problems. The question is what type of competition will you be shooting? Double belts are my favorite and dominate USPSA competition, but are not legal for IDPA. A single belt is legal in both disciplines.

It appears that Uncle Mike's does not make a holster for a Glock 35. My next suggestion would be Blade Tech, as that is what I have experience with.

Just a reminder that if he wants to start out in production the rules state that the holster can not be of race type, That would make his best bet one of the kydex styles that are available. I started out with a Blade tech combo and fobus mag pouches, and am still using them today. Good and solid, but getting any unit that meets the rules and works for him is what you should go with. They are all good to start with, the main thing is to get him into the sport and then change gear as he improves, if he stays with it. As far as a belt any stiff leather belt will work, and again he can change as he improves or grows in the sport. bottom line is production is the great equalizer in USPSA and it is not meant to be a gear game at this level. So I would look at any good quality holster and mag pouches with a stiff belt and go from there.

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom